Fridge And Freezer Forum

Bosch KGH39V03GB Fridge not cooling freezer fine.

Use this forum for help and advice for fridges, freezers and fridge freezers. For fridge and freezer spares please click here

Moderators: Del, Dave_Conway, don, iadom, Penguin45, r600a, johnmac11, eastlmark, Dales-Electronic, dquinn

Spare parts for fridge freezers

“Fridge,
Get spare parts for your fridge, freezer or fridge freezer in our store and many more parts for all major makes and models including many low cost spares and water filters or contact us and we will find the parts for you
Pay

• Advertisement

Bosch KGH39V03GB Fridge not cooling freezer fine.

Postby lee1980 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:39 am

Hi, Not sure if this is correct place to post or not. Noticed lately our milk going off quickly etc and fridge not feeling that cold at all, its barely chilling now.
Last night I had a good look behind it no dirt build up any where, the big round metal tank at bottom was pretty hot above it a tray for fluid to collect nothing in there.
Removed what panels I could internally to see if any build up of ice nothing! Up the back behind the slots there is a polystyrene piece behind the plastic where the air comes through no ice there. Its quite warm in UK at the mo.

Mad thing is when got it, we found it would freeze drinks cans if left to near slots where cold air comes out!

Im hoping it is still under warranty, hoped by buying Bosch it would last well doh!

Thanks
Regards

Lee.
lee1980
Appliance Forum User
Appliance Forum User

Advertisement

Re: Bosch KGH39V03GB Fridge not cooling freezer fine.

Postby bill88 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:53 am

Did you inspect the evaporator unit in the ceiling of the freezer compartment to see whether it is perhaps blocked with ice?

The solution may be as simple as requring a manual defrost to clear the ice. (See user instructions)

fyi, Bosch appliances come with a 1 yaer warranty which is extended to 2 years if you had registered the appliance shortly after purchase.
bill88
Appliance Forum User
Appliance Forum User

Postby lee1980 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:33 am

Thanks Bill,
I did if this the radiator type thing in the top of freezer, there was no ice on it anywhere.
Im pretty sure my manual said nothing about manaul defrost but read elsewhere its best to turn of and opendoors for 24hrs and be prepared for some water to run out! going to do this tonight.
Registered it and at the time and extra 2yrs was on offer making it 4yr warranty. its 2.5yrs old now.
I just need to find paper work!

Is it possible a motor controlled flap or something is not letting so much cool air through?

Thanks
Lee.
lee1980
Appliance Forum User
Appliance Forum User

Postby bill88 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:57 am

There is a temperature regulator operating what looks like a flap in the fridge compartment if you look at page 3.

KGH39V03GB/02 (The /01 model is probably identical)
http://www.bosch-eshop.com/eshop/bosch/gb/prodp.htm?prod=KGH39V03GB%2f02&ESHOPTYPE=A

I would also check the fan is working when the compressor is running (eg. turn on Super Freeze if available). There appears to be a fridge door switch which probably switches off the fan when it is opened.

Light dusting of frost should also build up on the evaporator if it is freezing.

But as it is still covered under extended warranty, just call Bosch to come and fix the appliance if you find a manual defrost fails to resolve the problem.
bill88
Appliance Forum User
Appliance Forum User

Postby lee1980 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:39 am

Wow thanks for that bill, did not know they had parts diagrams like that for us to view. I removed all screws to try and get the panel off on back of fridge where cool air comes from with the temp control thing, but it all appears to be glued in place to with polystyrene behind so did not tug it off for fear of breaking something!

Thanks

Lee.
lee1980
Appliance Forum User
Appliance Forum User

Postby lee1980 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:46 pm

the fan comes on once fridge is closed so thats working, the evaporator at top of freezer gets frosty and can feel cold air pumping out.
managed to remove the panel with temp dial from fridge, there is a hole behind with a flap that I am guessing is actuated by the dial to allow cool air up from freezer it all moves not iced up but could be broken. most strange is how there are no wires connecting it to the fridge? how does it work on radio waves?

tonight will leave it off to see if a full defrost does anything, instructions say nothing about doing this.

Bosch can not come out until the 15th!!!

thanks

Lee.
lee1980
Appliance Forum User
Appliance Forum User

Postby bill88 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:32 am

I believe the temperature regulator/thermostat is an all mechanical device.

If there is no ice blocking the duct, then it does suggest the fridge thermostat is perhaps faulty as you had suspected.

Some photos I have googled of said unit:
Attachments
660493 no2.jpg
Bosch 660493 Thermostat
660493 no2.jpg (8.64 KiB) Viewed 6840 times
660493.jpg
Bosch 660493 thermostat
660493.jpg (5.81 KiB) Viewed 6840 times
bill88
Appliance Forum User
Appliance Forum User

Postby lee1980 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:48 am

Thanks Bill that is it, the white paddle moves by hand but no way of knowing it if its faulty I guess.
Everything else seems to be in order, the evaporotor frosts up and fan comes on when fridge door is closed can hear fan and compressor working, and feel cold air coming out to freezer.

Do you think it be worth while spending the £25 to get a new temp regualtor and fix that on and see?

One thought, if the temp regulator is basically a mechaniacal flap that works alone or does it connect via radio waves or something? Should I still feel cold air coming up the central duct from freezer in to the fridge when i have removed the central duct piece and temp regualtor?
If the temp regualtor is faulty then would the air not just be going up and making the fridge to cold instead of opposite that I have?

Thanks
Regards
Lee.
lee1980
Appliance Forum User
Appliance Forum User

Postby bill88 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:49 pm

Unless a Bosch expert can correct me, it looks to be all mechanical operation. No radio waves or magic. I believe the temperature is sensed by the long thin metal tube you can see in the photo. Thermal expansion/contraction would appear to cause the device to adjust the flap opening accordingly.

I would think if the fridge compartment is 'too warm', the flap should be wide open to allow as much cold air to enter the fridge compartment when the fan is spinning. If it is 'too cold', the flap should be closed to reduce the cold air flow.

When the flap is open, I would think you should be able to feel the cold air come into the fridge compartment if the fan is running correctly and provided there are no other blockages in the duct due to ice.

(If you have not already worked it out, I think the fridge door switch is located near the temperature/control panel. Just push it in to simulate closing the fridge door. The internal light should go off too)
bill88
Appliance Forum User
Appliance Forum User

Postby lee1980 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:14 pm

bill88 wrote:Unless a Bosch expert can correct me, it looks to be all mechanical operation. No radio waves or magic. I believe the temperature is sensed by the long thin metal tube you can see in the photo. Thermal expansion/contraction would appear to cause the device to adjust the flap opening accordingly.

I would think if the fridge compartment is 'too warm', the flap should be wide open to allow as much cold air to enter the fridge compartment when the fan is spinning. If it is 'too cold', the flap should be closed to reduce the cold air flow.

When the flap is open, I would think you should be able to feel the cold air come into the fridge compartment if the fan is running correctly and provided there are no other blockages in the duct due to ice.

(If you have not already worked it out, I think the fridge door switch is located near the temperature/control panel. Just push it in to simulate closing the fridge door. The internal light should go off too)

Thanks again, Bill I was expecting it be connected to wires i guess or something!
Hhhhmmm thats whats worrying I dont think the air is being pushed up from below either, so whether the fridge regulator is broke or not, there should still be cold air pumping into the fridge are me thinks.
Thanks I figured that out one thing I have lol, think im going to need to wait until Bosch can come out on the 15th!!
lee1980
Appliance Forum User
Appliance Forum User

Postby lee1980 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:38 am

Well after leaving it over night off doors open etc, it seemed to work a lot better next day.
The fridge is still only 12 degrees celsius though, freezer is fine at -18 as its set to.
I am wondering now if fan is not up to pushing the air up in to the fridge or the mechanical temp regulator is playing up not letting the air up through into fridge.
If freezer is working at -18 can not be anything wrong with compressor or cooling system?
just the way in which cold air pushed up in to fridge!

Thanks
Regards
Lee.
lee1980
Appliance Forum User
Appliance Forum User

Postby nomadPaul » Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:41 pm

The fridge compartment on these appliances is nothing more than a big insulated box. The cold air is produced by the evaporator and blown by the fan up into the fridge. HOWEVER the cold air coming into the fridge will only come out of the very top grill/vent on the fridge rear wall.
The main fault causing your symptons will be a frozen evaporator as this blocks the airways for the fan and stops air being blown into the fridge. IF THE EVAPORATOR IS ICED OVER AT THE REAR OR EVEN COMPLETELY , YOU WILL NOT SEE IT WITHOUT TAKING OFF THE COVERS IN THE FREEZER COMPARTMENT. Be warned that if you take the evap cover off , its difficult to refit !!

A full 48hr defrost will normally temporarily clear the ice but the problem with that is that it may return .
Take only memories...leave only footprints
nomadPaul
Appliance Veteran
Appliance Veteran

Postby lee1980 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:57 am

nomadPaul wrote:The fridge compartment on these appliances is nothing more than a big insulated box. The cold air is produced by the evaporator and blown by the fan up into the fridge. HOWEVER the cold air coming into the fridge will only come out of the very top grill/vent on the fridge rear wall.
The main fault causing your symptons will be a frozen evaporator as this blocks the airways for the fan and stops air being blown into the fridge. IF THE EVAPORATOR IS ICED OVER AT THE REAR OR EVEN COMPLETELY , YOU WILL NOT SEE IT WITHOUT TAKING OFF THE COVERS IN THE FREEZER COMPARTMENT. Be warned that if you take the evap cover off , its difficult to refit !!

A full 48hr defrost will normally temporarily clear the ice but the problem with that is that it may return .

Thanks yeah they do seem remarkably simple for how much they cost.
On mine the air from freezer only comes up through 2 square holes about 4-5” long by 2” wide in the base of the
fridge floor near the rear and this goes up the long panels that have internal chutes and vents and the temp regualtor, the rest of it is as you say an insulated box.

When I first removed the the panel in the top of freezer it came away easily and, within a min or 2 the evaporator had come away from top of feeezer as I had
turned off freezer, some ice must have been holding it up but could not see anything major.
Now looking through slots it looks frosty certainly not frozen.
Taken it off twice now it is difficult to fit back the connector came out first for what I think is the heater defrost element.

What do I do to stop this returning then, is it the defrost heat element at fault maybe? or if no ice build up the fan?

Thanks
Lee.
lee1980
Appliance Forum User
Appliance Forum User

Postby nomadPaul » Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:55 pm

If you can remove the evaporator cover in the freezer fairly easily and the evaporator is fairly clear of ice , then there is a good chance the defrost heater is ok - although only a full test of the heater will confirm this.

It might be worth doing the full 48hr defrost and then seeing how it performs with regards to the fridge temps. If , after the defrost , the freezer works fine and you can hear the fan running ok , then the temp reg does sound a feasible call....although a failure of one is rarer than hen's teeth ?
Take only memories...leave only footprints
nomadPaul
Appliance Veteran
Appliance Veteran

Postby lee1980 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:19 am

Yeah it was only like a mist on it, so cant see that being at fault.
I have tried running it with out the temp reg in place and the bottom for fridge is around 6c and further up 8c.
Which is not to bad the milk has not gone off! but its sure not performing as well as should be i think overall.
Bosch coming on monday so will just have to pay and see whats up now, will certainly be cheaper than new one of the same type now.
Thanks
Lee.

nomadPaul wrote:If you can remove the evaporator cover in the freezer fairly easily and the evaporator is fairly clear of ice , then there is a good chance the defrost heater is ok - although only a full test of the heater will confirm this.

It might be worth doing the full 48hr defrost and then seeing how it performs with regards to the fridge temps. If , after the defrost , the freezer works fine and you can hear the fan running ok , then the temp reg does sound a feasible call....although a failure of one is rarer than hen's teeth ?
lee1980
Appliance Forum User
Appliance Forum User

• Advertisement

Do you need your fridge freezer fixed?

Find a local fridge freezer repair company for all makes including built in and integrated fridges and freezers
Find local approved fridge freezer repair companies using our free search of hundreds of repairers to find approved companies in your area that will repair almost any fridge, freezer or fridge freezer including built in and integrated fridges and freezers and American fridge freezers

Return to Fridge And Freezer Forum