Australasian Appliance Forum

Fisher & Paykel "Smartdrive" washing machine motor control

Posts from Australia, New Zealand and that continent in general

Moderators: r600a, johnmac11, Jackal, Del, Dave_Conway, don, iadom, Penguin45, Dales-Electronic, dquinn, bigsmokepiker

Buy spare parts for washing machines

“Washing
Buy washing machine spare parts in our store for all major washing machine makes and models including many low cost compatible spares or contact us and we will find the parts you need for you
Pay

• Advertisement

Fisher & Paykel "Smartdrive" washing machine motor control

Postby peterlonz » Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:13 am

Hello everyone,
My very first post & it concerns a brand sold in New Zealand, Australia & the USA.
I am unsure if the "Fisher & Paykel" brand is distributed in the UK.
Anyway, they utilise an electronic motor power controller to control their patented "pancake" drive motor.
One of the water cooled 3 terminal PWM switches has failed along with several adjacent components.
I have ID'd all but one very small diode like component & would dearly love to repair since a replacement board is $170.
The component is about 2.5 mm body length by about 1.5mm in diam & looks like a diode.
Is it likely anyone here could help, I guess some knowledge of the "F & P" control design would be helpful.
Thanks
Peter O
peterlonz
Whitegoods Newbie
Whitegoods Newbie

Advertisement

Before you post it… search it!

Use the search function before you post!

Please, before you post and ask something that has been asked before (often many times) please use the search facilities available.

Here you can search the forums only, including trade forums with permissions

Here you can search the entire site including all articles, public forums and online store

Re: Fisher & Paykel "Smartdrive" washing machine motor contr

Postby iadom » Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:46 pm

Hi Peter, just spotted this post.

I have moved you to the Australasian forum, due to our resident Fisher & Paykel expert being indisposed you will have a better chance of an answer in here.

Please feel free to bump the topic at any time.
That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.
iadom
Appliance Forum Moderator
Appliance Forum Moderator

Re: Fisher & Paykel "Smartdrive" washing machine motor contr

Postby peterlonz » Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:37 am

Quick follow-up:
I eventually obtained all 6 of the replacement components with only a slight doubt about the diode in this thread.
De-soldered all suspect components, cleaned the carbon "blast damage" to the circuit board, & re-fitted the new components.
When the control board was reassembled in the machine & mains power switched on ................... Bloody nothing !!
Well I guess I asked for it because I have no real way of knowing what caused the initial fault or of testing the repaired board.
I really think Fisher & Paykel should rethink there absurdly restrictive policy of not providing a circuit diagram with reference voltage check points.
This item new is now priced at Aus$339 - about HALF the current cost to replace the complete machine. That does not include the technicians labour charge if you need a repair tech.
Moral of this story is probably: don't attempt a control board repair unless you are really experienced in such matters.
peterlonz
Whitegoods Newbie
Whitegoods Newbie

• Advertisement

Oven & cooker door hinges

Buy oven door hinges for built in ovens and cookers online
If the door on your built in oven or cooker isn’t closing properly it’s almost certain that the door hinges will need to be replaced. Find replacement door hinges in our store for all major brands including Belling, Bosch, Beko, Lamona, Diplomat and many more

Return to Australasian Appliance Forum