Buying Advice

Compact/Narrow Dishwasher

Get advice from repairers, independent repairers and other users on which appliances like washing machines, cookers, ovens etc. are the best and the best to buy for your needs

Moderators: Jackal, Del, Dave_Conway, don, iadom, Penguin45, r600a, johnmac11, eastlmark, Dales-Electronic, dquinn

Buy spare parts for washing machines

“Washing
Buy washing machine spare parts in our store for all major washing machine makes and models including many low cost compatible spares or contact us and we will find the parts you need for you
Pay

• Advertisement

Compact/Narrow Dishwasher

Postby boyse7en » Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:40 pm

The missus wants a dishwasher (other than me in my marigolds)

Having looked around this site, the best brands seem to be Bosch, Neff, Siemans and Miele, so I've been looking around at those brands.

Problem is that they all seem to be either 45cm or 60cm wide. The only cupboard that we can replace with the dishwasher is 50cm (which I thought was a standard kitchen unit width)
So if I get a stand-alone machine, there will be an unsightly gap.
If I get an integrated version, will I be able to fit the 50cm wide door onto the 45cm wide dishwasher?
boyse7en
Appliance Forum User
Appliance Forum User

Advertisement

Washing machine door seals

A washing machine door seal or gasket, an important part in your washing machine
If need a new door seal for your washing machine you can buy a replacement seal in our store here for all major washing machine brands with many low cost compatible seals available and many other washing machine spare parts. And for more detailed advice on how to replace a washing machine door gasket please see our fitting instructions here

Re: Compact/Narrow Dishwasher

Postby don » Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:08 pm

Hi

Installing a freestanding slimline will be the cheaper option by far. A little fiddly I know but to close the gap you could fit a small fillet between dishwasher and base unit.

Fitting an integrated appliance using the existing door will be very fiddly to say the least as you will need to trim off the excesses in order to get a good fit. it would be far cheaper in the long run and look far better to have a matching door panel.

HTH :)

Don
don
Appliance Forum Moderator
Appliance Forum Moderator

Postby Martin » Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:47 pm

If you buy a 'fully integrated' machine you can in fact utilise the existing cupboard door with little or no difficulty and without the need to trim it either. A 45cm dishwasher is designed to fit between 50cm cupboard carcasses after all said and done, so installation would be seamless I think you with find.
Martin
Appliance Master
Appliance Master

Postby kwatt » Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:17 pm

Not of the door handle isn't centred Martin. Dishwasher doors don't open sideways. ;)

K.
"It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the most responsive to change." Charles Darwin

Domestic appliance spare parts Find an appliance engineer here
kwatt
Appliance Forum Administrator

Re: Re: Compact/Narrow Dishwasher

Postby Martin » Fri Dec 30, 2011 5:08 pm

kwatt wrote:Not of the door handle isn't centred Martin. Dishwasher doors don't open sideways. ;)

Ballcocks Ken, utilising the original door with handle (left,right or centre) any dishwasher door will open with ease...get away and think it through...go on :D :wink:
Martin
Appliance Master
Appliance Master

Postby kwatt » Fri Dec 30, 2011 5:44 pm

Not without holes left in the door which won't be pretty.

If you leave the handle offset it will strain and rip off, leaving even bigger gaping holes or a ripped apart door handle.

Then you have the problem that the template to mount the brackets to fix the door will be for a 45cm door, not a 50cm door, so they won't work either.

And anyway, most 45cm integrated dishwashers are a shade under 45cm wide to take a 45cm door on them. I think your thinking on the original introduction of the freestanding 45cm which was indeed designed to fir into one half of a 1000mm sink base unit.

But I checked some instructions it's a 45cm door on them so far as I can see. ;)

Basically, it won't work well. Doable, but inadvisable.

K.
"It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the most responsive to change." Charles Darwin

kwatt

Postby boyse7en » Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:01 pm

I'm intrigued...

Firstly, my door front has a stainless steel bar handle going right across the top of the door (depsite the fact it is hinged on the left) so that isn't a problem as far as opening the dishwasher goes.

Secondly. I've had a quick look around online at kitchens from B&Q, Homebase and the like, and none of them seem to do a 450mm wide door. They are all 300, 500 and 600mm widths as standard.
boyse7en
Appliance Forum User
Appliance Forum User

Postby Martin » Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:13 pm

kwatt wrote:Then you have the problem that the template to mount the brackets to fix the door will be for a 45cm door, not a 50cm door, so they won't work either.

Oh dear, oh dear (do please excuse us boyse7en for a moment won't you...ta! :D ).....I know for a fact just from your reply that you have never (ever) fitted a 45cm integrated, come on be honest. :D Or dealt with the practicalities of manufacturers templates and the logistics of kitchen furniture adaptability. Or realised the ease at which the door of a 45cm with a decor panel will open if correctly positioned and the tension springs adjusted (if applicable) accordingly.

Standard 50cm cabinet doors are actually 496mm so that will fit nicely on a 450 dishwasher, and will look just like the kitchen cupboard it replaced in boyse7en's case, great idea.....bring it on! :P

boyse7en wrote:so that isn't a problem as far as opening the dishwasher goes.

Perfect.....!!! :tup:
Martin
Appliance Master
Appliance Master

Postby kwatt » Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:30 pm

Martin wrote:I know for a fact just from your reply that you have never (ever) fitted a 45cm integrated, come on be honest. :D Or dealt with the practicalities of manufacturers templates and the logistics of kitchen furniture adaptability. Or realised the ease at which the door of a 45cm with a decor panel will open if correctly positioned and the tension springs adjusted (if applicable) accordingly.

Only a few hundred integrated dishwashers in various building sites while doing installation work for Candy, Zanussi and Whirlpool as agency work as well as various replacements. We'd be installing between two and ten plots a day for about ten years.

Also refrigeration, microwaves, washing machines, washer dryers, tumble dryers and the odd coffee machine as well.

So yeah, you must be right, what do I know about fitting integrated appliances.

K.

kwatt

Postby kwatt » Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:35 pm

boyse7en wrote:Secondly. I've had a quick look around online at kitchens from B&Q, Homebase and the like, and none of them seem to do a 450mm wide door. They are all 300, 500 and 600mm widths as standard.

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/40141951/

Very low use, most will be a special order much like an integrated 45cm dishwasher is, not many people make them, most are re-badged jobs to flesh out the range.

But, they do exist as you need them for a 45cm integrated dishwasher.

HTH

K.

kwatt

Postby Martin » Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:27 pm

Neff would be a good choice in my opinion....Be sure to let us know how you get on?....meanwhile Robert Dyas are doing a good deal on Marigolds right now.... :clown:
Martin
Appliance Master
Appliance Master

Postby boyse7en » Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:22 pm

Decided to go for a 45cm wide fully integrated model, and I'll make thedoor fit one way or another. Amazing what I can do with a tude of Nonails and a hammer when I put my mind to it :)

Now its a choice between 3 models:

Smeg DI4510 £349

Bosch SPV40C00GB £450

Neff S58M40X0GB £430

Neff and Bosch have 2 year warranty which is good. SMEG is only 46dB (compared to 49 for the others) which is good

Any opinions either way?
boyse7en
Appliance Forum User
Appliance Forum User

Postby kwatt » Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:36 pm

Don't take the noise ratings as gospel...

http://www.ukwhitegoods.co.uk/help/buyi ... evels.html

Other than that the Smeg is okay but I'd probably go for the Bosch.

K.

kwatt

Postby eclectik » Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:21 pm

Sorry to hijack the thread, but I'm currently in the market for a second hand slimline 45cm unit myself. I've seen AEG, FAGOR, ZANUSSI, EUROTECH and a Bosch. They're all more or less the same price apart from the Bosch which is about twice the price of the rest.
Any tips on what to look for, or avoid? Most of these are between 3 and 7 years old.
cheers, Ben
eclectik
Appliance Forum User
Appliance Forum User

Postby boyse7en » Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:55 pm

You Hijack away.

I'm still checking out dishwashers - the consensus gleaned from various forums, and talking to some friends with dishwashers, seems to be that Bosch, Neff and Siemans are all good. Miele is best, but very expensive. Anything else and you are likely to be disappointed one way or another.
Currently I'm trying to decide between a new Bosch (about £450) and a warranty-returned (so second-hand) SMEG for £260.
boyse7en
Appliance Forum User
Appliance Forum User

• Advertisement

Need new oven shelves or trays?

Buy oven shelves and trays for built in ovens and cookers online
Should yo need an extra shelf, a new shelf or a new girl pan for your built in oven or cooker you can find replacement shelves and grill pans in our store for all major brands including Belling, Bosch, Beko, Lamona, Diplomat and many more with many low cost compatible shelves and pans available

Return to Buying Advice