Vacuum Cleaner Help Forum

Adding brush control to a DC07

All about floor cleaners, vacuum cleaners, polishers etc. for all leading brands, Miele, Dyson, Hoover, Sebo, Electrolux, Numatic and all others. For vacuum cleaner spares, bags etc. click here

Moderators: r600a, johnmac11, Jackal, Del, Dave_Conway, don, iadom, Penguin45, Dales-Electronic, dquinn

Spare parts for vacuum cleaners

“Spare
Get spare parts including bags and filters for your vac in our store and many more parts for all major makes and models including many low cost spares or contact us and we will find the parts for you
Pay

• Advertisement

Adding brush control to a DC07

Postby Pistol » Mon Apr 03, 2006 2:12 pm

Hi there,

Odd little problem here. We were given a Dyson DC07 vacuum cleaner as a wedding present, and presently it's doing a fine job of cleaning our carpets. However, we're getting a lot of redecoration done at the moment, including some fancy carpet in the hall and back bedroom which can't be vacuumed by a cleaner with a brushbar! As well as laminate flooring in the back room which can't be done either!

Since you can't stop the brushbar on the DC07, I am shortly to be left with a vacuum cleaner that can only be used in two of the seven room of the house. That's not much use! Should have got the brush control model, I know...

What I would like to know is whether the brush control assemblies are the same - i.e. could I buy the brush portion from another model and fit it to my DC07? I've got my eye on the front assembly from a DC04 which I'm assured by the seller will fit, but then they would say that eh!
Last edited by Pistol on Wed Apr 26, 2006 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pistol
Appliance Forum User
Appliance Forum User

Advertisement

Before you post it… search it!

Use the search function before you post!

Please, before you post and ask something that has been asked before (often many times) please use the search facilities available.

Here you can search the forums only, including trade forums with permissions

Here you can search the entire site including all articles, public forums and online store

Re: Adding brush control to a DC07 - possible?

Postby Goatboy » Mon Apr 03, 2006 3:54 pm

Not a DC04 to a DC07.

But (in theory) you could get a DC07 head, with clutch, and fit it. Though it would be an awkward job.
Lancelot wrote:Despite your aspersions on my abilities... you're still my hero!
Goatboy
Appliance Veteran
Appliance Veteran

Postby legsthediver » Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:41 pm

using second hand parts IF available.. If you brought it to MY shop.. it would cost approx £40-£50.. Which is reasonable for the amount of parts and labour required.. to back up lasy message, the dc04 bits (apart from clutch) will NOT fit.. Good luck..
legsthediver
Regular Forum User
Regular Forum User

Postby Pistol » Tue Apr 04, 2006 9:29 am

Well I've found someone who says he can supply a complete head assembly, so I guess it depends on my ability to disassemble and reassemble that part of my Dyson without losing a myriad of tiny parts under the sofa :)

I think I'll have a go at taking off all the user-servicable parts first, to give me an idea of the complexity of the task. Might as well take the opportunity to clean the filters!

Any advice on disassembling a Dyson head? (Beyond unplugging it first obviously!) If it looks too frightening to proceed further than removing the user-servicable parts, I guess I can always take it to a repairs shop to get it done.
Pistol
Appliance Forum User
Appliance Forum User

Postby Goatboy » Tue Apr 04, 2006 11:08 am

They're full of tiny little torx screw. But somebody at Dyson, realised that everyone has adaptors for torx screws. So now on the DC07, these screws are at the bottom of narrow deep shafts, so you can't get your adaptor in there :( and you'll need to buy the correct screw-driver!

Saying that, there's only one of these unacessible screws on the clutched head. Taking your old un-clutched one off should be easy :D

Good luck, and let us know how you get on :tup:
Lancelot wrote:Despite your aspersions on my abilities... you're still my hero!
Goatboy
Appliance Veteran
Appliance Veteran

Postby Pistol » Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:12 pm

Cheers!

I've found some extremely useful information on Dyson maintenance over at www.dyson-online.com - I'm pretty confident I can handle the disassembly and reassembly now (provided I don't lose the screws ;) )

I'll report back when I've had a go - I can't be the first to realise I need brush control after all, and £40 for the parts is pretty reasonable compared with the cost of replacing one Dyson with a new one!

I guess the only drawback would be that if I make an obvious hash of it my warranty will be void.
Pistol
Appliance Forum User
Appliance Forum User

Postby Pistol » Tue Apr 25, 2006 8:32 am

Well, just to let you know, I did it successfully :) I now have a Dyson I can use all over the house.

There's a great exploded diagram of the two types of head assembly over at espares, hope they don't mind if I link to it. The parts I ordered were:

Cleaner head assembly (1)
Brush housing assembly (6)
Clutch actuator outer (7)
Clutch Assembly (8 )
Clutch Cover (10)
Brushroll Assembly (12)
Soleplate Assembly (13)

I managed to get a combination of new and second hand parts, total cost was under £40.

Using the information at Dyson-online's technical advice pages it was pretty straightforward to work out how to disassemble the old head and reassemble the new one.

I'm still not convinced that a DC04 head wouldn't fit on a DC07 - I'm certain that many of the parts I received were actually DC04 parts, and they all fitted together fine. I'm loath to recommend anyone to go out an buy a DC04 head in case I'm wrong, but given that I could have bought a complete DC04 head for £10 or so (!) I do wish I'd given it a go myself - if it didn't fit I could have just ordered a couple of new DC07 parts rather than the whole lot, and the total would still have been less than I paid in the end.

Can't complain though - in all, it was a lot cheaper than a new vacuum cleaner!
Pistol
Appliance Forum User
Appliance Forum User

• Advertisement
Find an reputable appliance engineer for washing machine repairs, dishwasher repairs, fridge repair, freezer repairs, cooker repairs, oven repairs, hob repairs, fridge freezer repairs, washer dryer repairs, tumble dryer repairs

Return to Vacuum Cleaner Help Forum