Dishwasher Help Forum

how does the water softener work on a dishwasher?

Forum to get help and advice on any dishwasher problems that you may have for full size, slimline dishwashers. For dishwasher spares click here

Moderators: Jackal, Del, Dave_Conway, don, iadom, Penguin45, r600a, johnmac11, eastlmark, Dales-Electronic

Buy spare parts for dishwashers

Dishwasher spare parts available to buy in our online store
Get dishwasher spare parts in our store and much more for all major makes and models including many low cost compatible spares or contact us and we will find the parts for you
Pay

• Advertisement

how does the water softener work on a dishwasher?

Postby gary38 » Thu Aug 05, 2004 11:22 am

how does the water softener work on a dishwasher? (roughly)
i notice that it does the water softener program last after all the washes was just trying to figure out what's its doing.
gary38
Appliance Forum User
Appliance Forum User

Advertisement

Does your dishwasher leak?

Door seals for most dishwashers including popular makes like Hoover, Zanussi, Smeg, Diplomat, Hygena and many more
If your dishwasher is leaking one of the most common reasons is that a door seal is faulty allowing water to escape. You can buy replacement door seals in our store here to fit all major makes including Lamona, Beko, Hotpoint, Bosch and many more

Re: how does the water softener work on a dishwasher?

Postby Martin » Thu Aug 05, 2004 3:21 pm

gary38 wrote:i notice that it does the water softener program last after all the washes was just trying to figure out what's its doing.

Gary,

Water Softeners work by flushing salt (Sodium) through an Ion Exchanger. The Ion Exchanger is full of special resins which are 'charged' by the sodium. As water passes through the charged ions, this attracts the Calcium Ions out of the hard water.

At the end of each dishwasher cycle, salt is flushed into the Ion Exchanger ready for the next wash........simple but very effective!

Always keep the Salt reservoir topped up with Salt Granuals, Salt Tablets or Dendritic salt granuals. :wink:

Martin

P.S Those "3 in 1 Tablets" unlike Ronseal DO NOT DO WHAT IT SAYS ON THE TIN :(
Even if you're on the right track you'll get run over if you just sit there!
Martin
Appliance Master
Appliance Master

Postby brian » Fri Aug 06, 2004 9:21 am

You all may be interested in a product available from Hotpoint, which is sold direct to the consumer via the internal sales desk, Hotpoint engineers and to the independent trade via the usual distributors. It is an excellent “cross sell” for the independent engineer. (In a hard water area or course).

The product is called Calblock and it fits all dishwashers and washing machines. It is screwed on between the inlet pipe and the inlet valve.

Details are………….

Magnetic Water Softener “CALBLOCK” Part Number C00089789 List Price £19.99

Eliminates hard water problems by impeding the formation of lime scale deposits on the internal Washing machine and dishwasher parts.

Hard water promotes an elevated use of detergents for crockery and clothes with notable environmental harm.
The pipes, the main washing area and above all the electrical resistance with lime deposit encrustations shorten the life of the appliance and causes energy waste:

The benefits of using Calblock are....

The wash and the rinse cycles are faster thereby saving on water and electrical energy.
Clothes and delicates last longer with decreased use of detergent.
Crockery and glasses are devoid of lime scale stains.
The basket and tub are devoid of lime deposit encrustations.
It permits to reduce salt, softener and rinse aid use.
CALBLOCK guarantees a whiter and softer clothes wash cycle, as the lime crystals no longer adhere to clothing fabrics.

HOW IT OPERATES

This method of water treatment is classified by the Health Ministry (D.M. no. 443 of the 21/12/1990) as PHYSICAL SYSTEM in as much as it eliminates lime deposits without the need for filters, chemical substances or various additives.
The water conditioning occurs via the continuous action of the strong permanent magnets that decompose (cold method instead of hot method) the lime carbonate molecules into ions, so that, with the heating of water, the formation of lime carbonate known as ‘calcite’ which is responsible for lime deposits no longer takes place.
On the contrary a new crystal ‘aragonite’ forms. Where calcite deposits gave form to obstinate and difficult to eliminate encrustations, aragonite remains dissolved; it does not deposit and is expelled with the water flushed from the system.The PHYSICAL TREATMENT OF MAGNETIC INDUCTION does not modify the water’s
biological composition and intervenes exclusively on lime carbonate molecules.
It is harmless, as it contains no additives, chemical products or harmful substances.

No maintenance required.
brian
Regular Forum User
Regular Forum User

Postby Dave_Conway » Fri Aug 06, 2004 10:26 am

I've ordered three of these, I'll see what they're like.

Mostly we are no too badly effected by hard water here, but some of the region is failry hard, I'll feedback with findings.

Dave.
Dave_Conway
Appliance Forum Administrator

Postby Dave_Conway » Sat Aug 07, 2004 3:30 pm

kheath wrote:perhaps we should look at this as a side line to our own businesses

Good point, I've cancelled them and will look into a domestic whole house solution ;)

Dave.
Dave_Conway

Postby Guest » Fri Sep 03, 2004 3:53 pm

I've been looking for a solution to this problem too 'cos of our rock-solid London water. Has anyone got any experience of using "Scalewatcher" products?
From what I know it seems to work basically along the same lines as the Calblock by changing the molecular formula and so softens water and stops limescale forming. As it's fitted to (in fact around!) the incoming water pipe it covers the whole house too!
I've been very tempted to get one but wanted to see what the opinion was of people who had actually tried it...

...fancy forking out in the name of science Dave?

Postby Raffy » Fri Sep 03, 2004 3:59 pm

Just checked this product out at : http://www.fsltd.co.uk/scalewatcher.htm

and seeing that the prices go from £160 to £306 (online) it doesn't seem too excessive compared to regular water softeners.

...How deep are Dave's pockets?
Raffy

Postby Dave_Conway » Fri Sep 03, 2004 4:18 pm

Raffy wrote:...How deep are Dave's pockets?

Not that deep actaully, but I only have very short arms :lol:

I'd forgotten all about this TBH, we don't have a major hard water problem here so it doesn't raise as an issue that often.

Any takers ?

Dave.
Dave_Conway

Postby sparkey » Fri Sep 03, 2004 9:03 pm

anyone got any experience of using "Scalewatcher" products

A few years ago when these products were first on the market I had a contract to install these on the basis that if there was no improvement in six months then the manufacturer would pay to remove them and refund the customers money.
I must have installed about 40 units but never had to remove any at all :!: no promise that they work in all areas but my area is almost as hard as Londen so would suggest they are worth a try, Dont expect instant results though.
sparkey
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby madrat » Sun Sep 17, 2006 2:59 am

Hard water is better for you than soft so if you do fit a full house sofener make sure the kitchen cold water tap is not conected.
madrat
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

• Advertisement

Before you post it… search it!

Use the search function before you post!

Please, before you post and ask something that has been asked before (often many times) please use the search facilities available.

Here you can search the forums only, including trade forums with permissions

Here you can search the entire site including all articles, public forums and online store

Return to Dishwasher Help Forum