Dishwasher Help Forum

Whirlpool ADP 4501/5 Fault

Forum to get help and advice on any dishwasher problems that you may have for full size, slimline dishwashers. For dishwasher spares click here

Moderators: r600a, johnmac11, eastlmark, Jackal, Del, Dave_Conway, don, iadom, Penguin45, Dales-Electronic

Buy spare parts for dishwashers

Dishwasher spare parts available to buy in our online store
Get dishwasher spare parts in our store and much more for all major makes and models including many low cost compatible spares or contact us and we will find the parts for you
Pay

• Advertisement

Whirlpool ADP 4501/5 Fault

Postby Wozza999 » Wed Dec 20, 2006 7:54 pm

Hello, I have a Whirlpool dishwasher model ADP 4501/5, and typically it's just run out of warranty!

When the Power button is pressed the motor engages for 1 second pumps water (as it can be seen in the dishwasher) and then stops, it may be stuck in mid programme as it looks like it is in a rinse cycle. There are no diagnostic lights flashing on any lights for that matter. Each time the power is pressed it engages for 1 second then stops. I have cleaned all the fillters checked power and water suppliers but all looks in order.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards

Wozza
Wozza999
Appliance Forum User
Appliance Forum User

Advertisement

Does your dishwasher leak?

Door seals for most dishwashers including popular makes like Hoover, Zanussi, Smeg, Diplomat, Hygena and many more
If your dishwasher is leaking one of the most common reasons is that a door seal is faulty allowing water to escape. You can buy replacement door seals in our store here to fit all major makes including Lamona, Beko, Hotpoint, Bosch and many more

Re: Whirlpool ADP 4501/5 Fault

Postby Penguin45 » Thu Dec 21, 2006 8:03 pm

Press and hold down the start button - it should allow you to clear the existing programme and drain the machine. You should then be able to re-programme and see what happens.

Regards,
Penguin45.
Which bit of "Unplug it" is causing the problem?
Appliance Forum Moderator

Postby Wozza999 » Thu Dec 21, 2006 9:20 pm

Thanks for your reply. I have already tried that and nothing happens as it seams to cut out after 1 second each time the power button is pressed.
Wozza999
Appliance Forum User
Appliance Forum User

Postby Penguin45 » Thu Dec 21, 2006 9:25 pm

More or less got to be the computer board then......... Marigolds time for the moment I'm afraid. :(

Penguin45.

Postby Wozza999 » Thu Dec 21, 2006 9:42 pm

Thanks again Penguin for your reply, kinda guessed it would be a board fail. Just hoped it would have been something silly I had done.

Is it worth repairing? or should I just replace it with another?

Are Whirlpools prone to this type of fault as my previous one (Electrolux) lasted forever, or am I just unlucky. Any other advice or recomendations?

Many thanks again for taking the time to respond!

Why do they fail just after the warranty runs out and you need it the most (sigh) :(

Manually wash the dishes (forgets how to do that) thank goodness for children!
Wozza999
Appliance Forum User
Appliance Forum User

Postby Penguin45 » Fri Dec 22, 2006 12:41 am

The board's not that bad - £70 odd plus VAT and the P+P. I would quite seriously suggest that you check every component in the machine for continuity in itself and to the control board. I can't see your machine, so my advice is only an opinion. I should also point out that I got caught out with a similar machine some months back - similar problems, ordered board; when I split the panel to fit it and pulled one particular connector, a wire fell off. Reconnecting it securely solved the problem..........

Pro help, or be certain that the board is the problem. Stay safe, power off at all times when checking.

Hope the kids survive the shock,

Penguin45.

Postby Wozza999 » Fri Dec 22, 2006 12:44 pm

Many thanks Penguin for your advice, I guess I have nothing to lose in checking components (with the power off :) ) Guess I know now what I am doing in the Christmas break!

Thanks again and Merry Christmas!
Wozza999
Appliance Forum User
Appliance Forum User

Postby Wozza999 » Fri Dec 22, 2006 7:08 pm

I managed to strip down the dishwasher today fairly easy as long as you have a T screwdriver! Everthing looks in order reseated all the connectors and no sign of burns or breaks in wires.

Obviously spending £70+ on an new pcb worries me as if it wasn't down to that I would have wasted a lot of money.

I have noticed a company that sells referbished and also test and repairs pcb's with refunds if it does not cure the problem http://www.qualityelectronicrepairs.co.uk do you have any experience of using these or other companies.

Thanks again

Wozza
Wozza999
Appliance Forum User
Appliance Forum User

Postby Wozza999 » Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:24 am

Well after the Christmas break I decided to give the repair place a try and I am glad to say they were very helpful.

I sent the pcb away, they confirmed there was a fault fixed it and sent it back next day!

All in all it cost me £47 including p&p, and that was non trade prices too.

Thanks again Penguin for giving me the confidence that it was probably the pcb to fault. I now have a fully working dishwasher and not had to shell out for a new one.

Wozza
Wozza999
Appliance Forum User
Appliance Forum User

Postby Penguin45 » Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:58 am

Well done. Too many machines get sent for recycling when they are economicaly repairable.

Penguin45.

• Advertisement

Before you post it… search it!

Use the search function before you post!

Please, before you post and ask something that has been asked before (often many times) please use the search facilities available.

Here you can search the forums only, including trade forums with permissions

Here you can search the entire site including all articles, public forums and online store

Return to Dishwasher Help Forum