UK Whitegoods Domestic Appliance Help & Support Forums

Dishwasher Help Forum

Bosch SG143EGB02/16 salt problem

Forum to get help and advice on any dishwasher problems that you may have for full size, slimline dishwashers. For dishwasher spares click here

Get spare parts for dishwashers

Buy dishwasher spare parts in our store for all major dishwasher makes and models including many low cost compatible spares or contact us and we will find the parts you need for you

Get Spare Parts Cheap

Buy many cheap spare parts in our store including many compatible parts for all major brands including Hotpoint, Whirlpool, Smeg, AEG, Beko, LG, Samsung and many, many more.

Click to email, tell us what you need and we'll find the parts you need

shop spare parts

by ChemistInTheKitchen » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:17 am

Hi

I have one of these Bosch dishwashers (installed 12/2005). I noticed a couple of weeks ago that the "low salt" light hadn't come on for a long time (maybe a month or more); more recently there's been a build-up of white powdery film on the inside surface of the machine (presumably limescale, our water is reasonably hard) - so today I decided to add salt (in spite of the low salt light not indicating that would be required), but found that the inside surface of the screw-on lid to the salt reservoir on the water softener unit is crusted with common salt (see pic) - this deposit is not lime scale.

Some of the salt deposit was on the surface of the black elastomer sealing ring - could it just be that I hadn't screwed the cap home?

What steps should I take to try to locate/fix the problem?
Attachments
dishwasher-0.5.JPG
salt reservoir lid with salt crust
ChemistInTheKitchen
Whitegoods Newbie
Whitegoods Newbie

Dishwasher spray arm broken?

If your dishwasher isn't washing as well as it should then your spray arms may be blocked or faulty resulting in the dishwasher not cleaning as it should. You can buy replacement spray arms and associated spare parts from our store to fit all major makes including AEG, Beko, Hotpoint, Smeg and many more

Do check carefully when ordering spray arms as while many may look the same they might well not be, if you are unsure please email to ask for assistance and we'll find it for you

spray arms for most dishwashers including popular makes like Hoover, Zanussi, Smeg, Diplomat, Bosch and many more

by ChemistInTheKitchen » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:53 pm

Hi

I'm a little surprised that no-one pointed out I had the model number wrong - should be SG143E02GB/16.

However, since my original post I've flushed out the salt reservoir with clean water (multiple times) and found that the low salt indicator appears to be U/S. The switch for the indicator appears to be located on the salt reservoir itself, but that's part of my next problem - I don't know if it's the switch or the electronics module behind the on/off & programme switches.

I've had a look at removing the switch from the salt reservoir, but my fingers aren't small enough to get in there - so I wanted to remove the reservoir, but find that the large plastic water inlet manifold (on the LHS of the d/w as seen from the front) holds it firmly in place (after having removed the ~80mm octagonal nut fixing the salt reservoir to the base of the dishwasher) . The only thing I can see that holds the inlet in place is a sealing ring (approx 70mm dia) - but I don't know if this pulls off, or screws off, or what - so, my Q is -

How do I remove the inlet water manifold so I can remove the salt reservoir (or do I even need to do that?)?
ChemistInTheKitchen
Whitegoods Newbie
Whitegoods Newbie

by Martin » Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:01 pm

2 options are available to avoid replacing the whole darn softener unit simply because the light no longer comes on.

Firstly, replace the Reed Switch (part no. 00166876) as that usually is the reason it fails.

Secondly, do nothing, touch nothing. Instead simply top up the salt every 3 weeks or so (on the assumption you use it once a day) A full salt container has sufficient salt for 20 wash approximately.

HTH? :D
Martin
Appliance Master
Appliance Master

by ChemistInTheKitchen » Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:22 pm

Hi

Many thanks for this.

Sorry for the delay in responding - I was waiting for a notification to my e-mail inbox (which may have been spam filtered out, so I don't seem to have received anything).

Changing the reed switch would be my preferred (longer term) option (it's nice to have warning lights working if they're installed...). Looking at the diagram on the Bosch website it looks like it's held in place by a single screw and (presumably) does not require removal of the water inlet manifold or the salt reservoir. I'll let you know how I get on.
ChemistInTheKitchen
Whitegoods Newbie
Whitegoods Newbie

by ChemistInTheKitchen » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:00 am

Eventually I've got round to dealing with this.

I followed option (2), i.e. just filled up with salt and carried on using the machine.

The salt level hasn't changed in several months - there is loads of solid salt in the reservoir, and salt crusting on the inside of the filler cap, so it looks to me as if there is no salt being used. Once a month or so I've been descaling and "it seems to work"

I have checked the regeneration valve on the salt dispenser - it moves freely and has a resistance of ~2.3kOhm (from memory, it's a while since I tested it), so it's not open circuit or short circuit.

This leaves me with a decision to make - is it worthwhile replacing the reed switch, or does it indicate that a new softener unit is required? What other tests should I do before deciding?

Re: the reed switch, what rating is it? I'm more than happy to do a bit of soldering to replace a ten-bob (okay, realistically a couple of quid) reed switch.
ChemistInTheKitchen
Whitegoods Newbie
Whitegoods Newbie

by Martin » Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:01 pm

No salt being used means that the salt regeneration valve is not working. A new one cost under 20quid.(part no: 00166875)
Martin
Appliance Master
Appliance Master

Dishwasher basket wheels and rollers

Get a replacement basket wheels and rollers for your dishwasher in our store here including built in and integrated dishwashers for major makes including Lamona, Smeg, Beko, Hotpoint, Bosch and many more

Dishwasher basket wheels for most dishwashers including popular makes like Hoover, Zanussi, Smeg, Diplomat, Hygena and many more

Return to Dishwasher Help Forum