Washing Machine Help Forum

Hotpoint TDC62 Condenser drier - Erratic heat/drying

This forum is for support, help and questions you have about washing machines and washer dryers. For washing machine spares click here

Moderators: Jackal, Del, Dave_Conway, don, iadom, Penguin45, r600a, johnmac11, eastlmark, Dales-Electronic, dquinn

Buy spare parts for washing machines

“Washing
Buy washing machine spare parts in our store for all major washing machine makes and models including many low cost compatible spares or contact us and we will find the parts you need for you
Pay

• Advertisement

Hotpoint TDC62 Condenser drier - Erratic heat/drying

Postby shaun evans » Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:08 pm

Hi all,

First noticed this a week ago when the drier had stopped but clothes still damp. Since then drier sometimes works OK. At other times it is difficult to get the "drying" light to illuminate & heat the load. Stopping & starting usually gets it going. When it eventually starts drying (It does heat up by the way), it only seems to run for a few minutes before turning off, or sometimes only a few seconds.

All filters/channells/condenser seem OK.

Could this be a stat fault or a module fault? - would it be worth ordering stats to give it a try?

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks................Shaun.
shaun evans
Appliance Forum User
Appliance Forum User

Advertisement

Washing machine not filling with water?

Buy washing machine water valves and other washing machine spare parts
If your washing does not fill up with water then it is likely that your water supply is faulty or the water fill valve in your machine is. Find replacement water valves in our store including many low cost compatible fill valves for all major brands such as Hoover, Hotpoint, Beko, AEG and more

Re: Hotpoint TDC62 Condenser drier - Erratic heat/drying

Postby iadom » Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:36 pm

When you say 'It stops' do you mean its stops heating or stops altogether.

If it does appear to heat but stop in a very short time then the braided brush that rubs on the band around the drum may have broken or the band itself may have come adrift.

Pull the plug and take the top off, you should see a copper braided brush that should be in good contact with a large band going around the drum. There should be a thin black plastic strip under the metal band, if that has come adrift it will also cause this fault.

Try it on timed drying mode and see if that works OK, bear in mind the heater may only be on half heat on this setting.
iadom
Appliance Forum Moderator

Postby shaun evans » Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:12 am

Hi iadom,

When the start button is pressed, the drier always starts rotating, with the "active" light on. The orange "drying light comes on sometimes. If it doesn't we have to switch off and try again till it does. The orange drying light either stays on momentarily, or goes off in a couple of minutes with little heat being generated.

Even when the drying light goes out, the drier still keeps on going and going, until it is switched off manually.

Hopre this helps................Shaun.
shaun evans
Appliance Forum User
Appliance Forum User

Postby iadom » Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:43 am

Hmmm, not one I have encountered before. :?

Intermittent faults are always a PITA to pin down. The drying light should only be on when the drum is doing its long clockwise rotation. It should go out as the drum reverses for a few seconds.

I have never had a fault on the selector switch but have changed several PCB's on these. The circuit board is rather expensive though and none of the mainstream repairers of PCB's will attempt to fix this one.

The stats at the back don't usually fail in this way but I have seen the stat located in the top of the door surround cause something similar. A physical examination of the stats looking for signs of burning or loose terminals might be a good idea.

Have you tried it on the timed heat settings?
iadom

Postby final_spin » Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:00 am

Had the same problem on my TDC60P earlier this year.
I'm not sure how the TDC60 differs from the TDC62 but for what its worth this is my story........

I replaced all three thermostats but the problem remained.

A sharp knock to the right hand side of the machine sometimes caused the heat light to illuminate but it usually dropped out within a few minutes.

I suspected either a loose connection or a bad heater relay on the pcb.
Having disassembled & reassembled all the connections to the pcb the problem still persisted.

I suspected that the heater relay on the pcb was "dropping out"; possibly as a result of a dry solder joint on the board.
The relay in question is a 16amp contact device & can easily be identified by the 16 amp rating marked on it's body.

I purchased a replacement Schrack 16amp relay from Farnell (of the same type as fitted to the board,) but prior to fitting this I decided to re-solder the existing relay pins on the pcb.

Hey Presto! This finally cured the fault - so probably a dry joint.
As of today I've had no further problems with the machine.

Hope this tale is of some use.
final_spin
Appliance Forum User
Appliance Forum User

Postby iadom » Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:11 am

I did wonder how you got on with that. :wink:
TDC problem

It is the same basic machine BTW.

As I have mentioned, all of the boards I have changed have been due to faulty relays sticking closed and tripping the TOC. When I enquired of the people at EMW/QER why they did not repair these boards as to me it seemed as though a new relay would sort it, they replied that they often found the board microprocessor was corrupted after a stuck relay fault.

Perhaps a dry joint doesn't have this effect. :?

Thanks for updating us. 8)

Jim.
iadom

Postby shaun evans » Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:40 pm

Thanks for your replies.

Will have a look around the door stat & relay/PCB areas & see if anything's amiss.

Thanks...............Shaun.

BTW this fault occurs on all heat settings.
shaun evans
Appliance Forum User
Appliance Forum User

Postby shaun evans » Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:40 pm

Hello all.

RESULT !!!

Did as final_spin and gave the right hand side of the door a few taps and the drying light flickered & sometimes stayed on.
Top off, turned on and tapped plastic PCB holder gently. Straight away relay began clicking in & out, so power off, saw a couple of possible dry joints on the relays, so re-soldered all the relay connections to make sure.

Works just fine now, so will keep an eye on it.

Hope these posts help others.

Once again many thanks for your help..........Shaun
shaun evans
Appliance Forum User
Appliance Forum User

Postby lovellypinky » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:17 pm

Hi all, I seem to be having a very similar problem with my TDC62.

In the past I have replaced the things on the back but I'm sure that's not the problem this time.

This has been an intermittent prob for a few weeks, I would go to check on the drying and it would be spinning cold, having started off warm, sometimes the drying light had gone off and I discovered tapping the side made it come on and the heat was restored.
I have had a few occasions too when the washing has been very very hot inside, can't remember what else was happening at the same time or how I came to realise, maybe it had beeped and that was why I had opened it up.
Anyway, now the drying light is lit as soon as I turn the right hand dial to one of the auto options, and now it is blowing cold air.
I took the lid off and vacuumed away the dust and fluff in the hope it might suddenly start working again, but alas not.
The copper brush thing is touching the drum just fine.
With the lid off, and the start button pushed, I could hear a click but still no heat.
I'm not sure what to look at or check next but am desperate to get this fixed and dry the mountains of washing constantly appearing in this house!
Thanks in advance for any help.
lovellypinky
Whitegoods Newbie
Whitegoods Newbie

Postby Martin » Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:01 pm

lovellypinky wrote:I discovered tapping the side made it come on and the heat was restored..

IIRC the 'Dryness Module' (Part NO: C00096288) sits on the right hand side as you look at the machine. So a sharp thump on that side may point directly to the 'department of trouble!'?
Even if you're on the right track you'll get run over if you just sit there!
Martin
Appliance Master
Appliance Master

Postby lovellypinky » Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:12 pm

Hi thanks for the response. Not sure how I would identify if this is the fault or not.
Since posting, I've took the top and side off, bit of fluff around but not excessive amounts. Connections seem ok and no obvious dry joints.
Seem to have got rid of the drying light being on as soon as a program is selected but start not pressed, so now we are back to normal lights ie choose a programme, no lights, press start and the drying light comes on but no heat, aarghhh!
The back thermostats look ok (as I mentioned have had issue with these a few years ago but does not seem to be the prob now)
What else can I check now to identify what the problem is?
Thanks again in anticipation of any help.
lovellypinky
Whitegoods Newbie
Whitegoods Newbie

• Advertisement

Does your washing machine need repaired?

Find a local washing machine repair company for all washing machines including integrated and built in washing machines
Find local approved washing machine repair companies using our free search to find approved companies in your area from our database of hundreds that will repair almost any broken washing machine

Return to Washing Machine Help Forum