UK Whitegoods Domestic Appliance Help & Support Forums

Washing Machine Help Forum

Bosch washing machine burning smell inside drum

This forum is for support, help and questions you have about washing machines and washer dryers. For washing machine spares click here

Get spare parts for washing machines

Buy washing machine spare parts in our store for all major washing machine makes and models including many low cost compatible spares or contact us and we will find the parts you need for you

UK Whitegoods Spare Parts Store

Buy spare parts in our store from our team of spares experts that have a vast knowledge of the domestic appliance industry and access to over 14 million spare parts who will help you find any part you need and get it to you as fast and cheap as possible

Use this link to email us, tell us what you need and we'll find parts for you

shop spare parts

by ManuelCat » Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:00 am

Every now and again my washing machine has a burning smell and smoke coming from inside the drum. I only find out when it has finished and the drum or soap drawer is opened. The machine isn't over or under loaded and the belts seem fine.

What could cause smoke to come from inside the drum? It smells like burning rubber but there is no evidence of damage or pieces of rubber from the seal in the washing.

Thanks
ManuelCat
Whitegoods Newbie
Whitegoods Newbie

Do you need an appliance repair?

Find local approved washing machine repair companies using our free search to find approved companies in your area from our database of hundreds that will repair almost any broken washing machine and help support the people that offer help for free

“Find

by Martin » Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:02 am

What is the full model number please?
Martin
Appliance Master
Appliance Master

by ManuelCat » Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:56 am

Sorry for the delay. Its a Bosch WVTI2840GB/04

Well shortly after posting my initial message I found the drum is rubbing on the door seal. When I rotate the drum it would appear the same section of the drum rubs on the seal in the same place on each rotation (right to bottom right). As far as I can tell the bearing are ok as there is no playing in the inner drum when I try and move it around. Its almost as if the drum isn't round anymore.
ManuelCat
Whitegoods Newbie
Whitegoods Newbie

by Martin » Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:50 am

The drum support spigot has probably cracked. :(
Martin
Appliance Master
Appliance Master

by ManuelCat » Sun Dec 29, 2013 2:02 pm

The run out is only around 2mm and doesn't rub all the time, only when it's doing a spin and not every wash, weight of the wash doesn't make a difference as far as I can tell. It's only now I can tell its been rubbing from the melted rubber stuck on the edge of the inner drum. It's doesn't rub at all when moving it by hand.

I have just had a good look again with the back off the machine. There is no grinding or abnormal noises when the drum is rotated in either direction.

Apart from removing the drum and checking, is there anyway I can check to see if the support spigot has cracked? The machine is 6 years old and is used every day. Not sure what sort of life I should get out of it.
ManuelCat
Whitegoods Newbie
Whitegoods Newbie

by Martin » Sun Dec 29, 2013 2:14 pm

Sadly the only certain way of checking is removing the drum. That's a big job! :(
Martin
Appliance Master
Appliance Master

by clairehaslam2003 » Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:53 am

i'm having the same problem with my wab28061gb/03 model will it be the same problem
clairehaslam2003
Whitegoods Newbie
Whitegoods Newbie

by Martin » Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:21 pm

Could be, but only careful inspection would confirm 100% of course.
Martin
Appliance Master
Appliance Master

by kaibart » Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:26 pm

Sealed drum on this model so it will need new drum
kaibart
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

by 1totalshambles » Mon Sep 05, 2016 7:38 pm

The run out is only around 2mm and doesn't rub all the time, only when it's doing a spin and not every wash, weight of the wash doesn't make a difference as far as I can tell.
Are but that depends where the drum`s support, aka the spider is cracked. If cracked near the hub the drum will only go into warp mode at top whack spin and then kiss the door seal and that`ll be with a fair sized load but beware as the 2 other spider arms will soon crack so you either stop using the machine and get it fixed.....big dosh as you`ll need a new drum and bearings or a new oil seal at the least and a new drum or you scrap the blighter-big loss and worth £5 on ebay. What you do not want is for the drum to drop and cut through the stainless/or plastic tank on a rinse spin with the horrendous leak that follows and an insurance claim.This is becoming common and these machines are not cheap. Part of the cause is to read Uk whitegoods smelly washing machine article and this will tell you why and a bit about prevention although it really is more complex subject than the article portrays in reality i.e simplistic for instance different types of bacteria affect Al2 alloys in different ways and at different speeds depending upon the water, the detergent, the load relative to detergent and above all the temperature-low temp washing is one of the biggest causes so save energy but nuke your machine prematurely in the process; clever isn`t it?
1totalshambles
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

by David678 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:11 pm

I have a similar problem with a Siemens WI12S140GB. There was smoke from the detergent draw and from the door when I opened it at the end of the wash. The edge of the drum has grey rubber where it rubs the seal and there are beads of rubber. The same section of dum dubs the real regardless of rotated position so it looks like it is out of true. Is it worth getting Currys to fix for £149 flat fee with no fix no fee or scrap it and get a cheap new one. The washing is only for myself so not a heavy user. The washing machine is about 8 years old and came with the house. Currys will only fix if parts are nome more than £150. Thinking of BEKO WIX765450 for about £280 plus removal of old and fitting of new unless I han do it myself.

Thanks
David678
Whitegoods Newbie
Whitegoods Newbie

by Martin » Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:26 pm

Currys will definitely write it off so don’t waste your time. The Beko should serve you OK. Hold out until after the 26th and you’ll save even more when buying that replacement machine. :wink:
Martin
Appliance Master
Appliance Master

by David678 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:02 pm

Thank you. I thought maybe as it is no fix no fee it might be worth a try just in case I diagnosed it wrong. Want to make sure it would be worth the £150 if they will fix it. Fix old presumably quality brand vs buy cheap new brand.
David678
Whitegoods Newbie
Whitegoods Newbie

by 1totalshambles » Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:57 am

Had a look alike Bosch with EXACTLY the same problem last week (7/1/18 ). Since I had time on my hands I dismantled it and this bit is interesting. Although the drum spider was corroded it was NOT cracked. So how come the door seal got friction burned by the drum if the drum can`t drop, does not make any sense unless the spider is bending under load as a result of it being corroded.
Thoughts?
1totalshambles
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

by Martin » Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:33 am

[quote=“1totalshambles”] Thoughts?[/quote]

Just one since you asked, full ENr?
Martin
Appliance Master
Appliance Master

Return to Washing Machine Help Forum