UK Whitegoods Domestic Appliance Help & Support Forums

Washing Machine Help Forum

AEG Lavamat unusual noise on 'dry' cycle

This forum is for support, help and questions you have about washing machines and washer dryers. For washing machine spares click here

Get spare parts for washing machines

Buy washing machine spare parts in our store for all major washing machine makes and models including many low cost compatible spares or contact us and we will find the parts you need for you

by Nemo2000 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:59 pm

I have an AEG Lavamat washer-dryer about 6 years old.

When used on the 'dry' program recently, I noticed after about 10 minutes a loud noise not heard before - a sort of high-pitched buzzing + whining/whirring noise. (It sounded rather like a small fan going into overdrive!) The noise appeared to be coming from the top near the front behind the control panel. It was not the pump (quiet when tested on 'drain') nor the main motor (quite normal when tested on 'spin').

Is it actually a potential fault, or just something which I've not heard before, but is otherwise OK? Is there perhaps a cooling fan for the electronics, in which case why would it have been going berserk all of a sudden?
Nemo2000
Appliance Forum User
Appliance Forum User

Before you post it… search it!

Please, before you post and ask something that has been asked before (often many times) please use the search facilities available.

Here you can search the forums only, including trade forums with permissions

Here you can search the entire site including all articles, public forums and online store

Use the search function before you post!

by electrofix » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:13 pm

there will be a motor and fan assembly used on the tumble drying programme

Dave
electrofix
Appliance Forum Moderator

by Nemo2000 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:16 pm

I wondered about that.
So - does the noise indicate that there is a problem which needs attention? Nothing about it in the User Manual.
Nemo2000
Appliance Forum User
Appliance Forum User

by electrofix » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:40 pm

if the noise sounds like dry bearings the tumble dryer fan unit may need replacing

do you have a full model and pnc number for it. should be inside the door

dave
electrofix

by Nemo2000 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:29 am

Model: L14850
PNC: 914605312/01

I have copies of the various 'parts schematics' off the AEG website, but it's not easy to pinpoint exactly which part(s) might need to be replaced.
Nemo2000
Appliance Forum User
Appliance Forum User

by electrofix » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:21 pm

http://shop.zanussi.co.uk/product/13232 ... r+Assembly

take off the top of the machine. You will find the part in the right rear. take off the small belt to the motor and spin the pulley to see if its noisy

if you need it you could ask the site shop for a price as well

Dave
electrofix

by Nemo2000 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:47 am

Thanks for the advice. Some further questions then, if I may .... :)

1. If I spin the fan, but it appears OK, then presumably I could run the 'dry' cycle with the drive belt left off to see if the noise comes from the motor instead?
2. If the fan - or motor - does appear to have bearing noise, is it something which might be solved by careful light oiling, or would a replacement be advisable anyway?
3. Might the problem in fact be caused by breakage of the drive belt, leaving the motor to run too fast off-load? (Actually, I doubt that, seems the wrong sort noise, more than just a 'fast whirring'....)

My problem is going to be access :eeek: The machine is under a worktop, sliding out the 'dead weight' is very tricky as the feet tend to 'dig it' to the flooring (even with the 'bits of carpet as sliders' trick), and the back has to come off the adjacent cupboard in order to reach the water and drain hoses and feed them out as the machine is moved. Not for the faint-hearted!
Nemo2000
Appliance Forum User
Appliance Forum User

by electrofix » Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:15 pm

item 1
yes you can but the element will get hot with no air passing and although there are safety stats don't run it for more than about a minute

Item 2
if the bearings have gone and you oil them you will end up with your clothes smelling of wd40 or the like. you could oil the motor bearings but have not had one fail yet its always the fan

Item 3
if belt was off drum would not turn

the noise you are getting is only when the dryer is running and on some machines the fan runs on the last rinse while its filling. cant see a reason for it but it does

integrated are fun aren't they also some of the fitters who make life even harder by fitting the kitchen tops after the machine is in

Dave
electrofix

by Nemo2000 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:54 pm

Thanks for the advice. However I think you may be a little confused No 3 - I was talking about the drive belt between the fan and its motor, which surely is nothing to do with the main drum drive?

Anyway....out of curiosity I put the machine on the 'dry' cycle again today and it ran for 30 minutes without making any unusual noise. Maybe I'm just 'lucky' at the moment and the problem will re-emerge in due course with more/longer, but for the moment I think I won't rush to open it all up (yet).....
Nemo2000
Appliance Forum User
Appliance Forum User

by electrofix » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:10 pm

yes your right about the belt got mixed up

agree leave well alone while its ok but at least you know where your going when it does fail

Dave
electrofix

Washing machine carbon brushes

Did you know that carbon brushes are very often the cause of a washing machine drum not turning when they wear out? You can buy replacement carbon brushes including many low cost compatible washing machine carbons in our store here to fit all major washing machine makes including AEG, Beko, Hotpoint, Bosch and many more

Carbon brushes for most washing machines including popular makes like AEG, Hotpoint, Beko, Baumatic, Bosch and many more

Return to Washing Machine Help Forum