Fridge And Freezer Forum

MFI APM 6221 only freezes when fast freeze button depressed

Use this forum for help and advice for fridges, freezers and fridge freezers. For fridge and freezer spares please click here

Moderators: r600a, johnmac11, eastlmark, Del, Dave_Conway, don, iadom, Penguin45, Dales-Electronic, dquinn

Spare parts for fridge freezers

“Fridge,
Get spare parts for your fridge, freezer or fridge freezer in our store and many more parts for all major makes and models including many low cost spares and water filters or contact us and we will find the parts for you
Pay

• Advertisement

MFI APM 6221 only freezes when fast freeze button depressed

Postby jbs » Sun Nov 05, 2006 9:51 pm

Our 3 year old MFI APM 6221 has been gradually allowing food to thaw out. We've had the warm temperature alarm go off a few times in the last couple of weeks and have responded by pressing the fast freeze button which has frozen things again.

When the fast freeze button is depressed you can hear the freezer working and can feel a gentle vibration coming from the freezer.

We wondered if this could be a thermostat problem. Are these easy to fit and if so any idea how much?

thanks

jbs
jbs
Appliance Forum User
Appliance Forum User

Advertisement

Fridge & freezer door hinges

Door hinges for most fridges and freezers including built in and integrated from popular makes like Hoover, Zanussi, Smeg, Diplomat, Hygena and many more
You can buy replacement door hinges in our store here to fit all popular makes including Ingol, Hettich and other hinges for built in and integrated models from Diplomat, Lamona, Beko, Hotpoint, Bosch and many more

Re: MFI APM 6221 only freezes when fast freeze button depres

Postby Penguin45 » Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:16 pm

Certainly sounds like the thermostat - the fast freeze bypasses it and runs the compressor continuously. Fitting is usually a screwdriver and patience job - make diagams of the wiring before you start. Power off, of course.

Thermostat is p/no 526012500 - an email to spares@ukwhitegoods.co.uk for prices and ordering.

Regards,
Penguin45.
Which bit of "Unplug it" is causing the problem?
Appliance Forum Moderator

Postby simcom » Mon Nov 06, 2006 9:29 pm

My 3 year old MFI integrated freezer APP6403 just had the same problem. I got an independant engineer to change the thermostat at a cost of £110 cash. Problem solved.

I read somewhere on this Forum that my particular model suffered from a 'dodgy batch syndrome' where the insulation prematurely fails leading to water seeping into the thermostat compartment.
A friend of mine who knows a bit about electronics checked the old circuit board that I had replaced and said the solder joints did appear to have suffered from damp. I think he said they had a white chalky effect on them.

I just hope this does not mean the new circuit board is destined to fail in time.

Anybody else suffered this problem?
simcom
Whitegoods Newbie
Whitegoods Newbie

Postby Penguin45 » Tue Nov 07, 2006 1:08 am

Shouldn't be an issue with this one, Sim - this one is a simple electro-mechanical capillary thermostat.

Penguin45.
Which bit of "Unplug it" is causing the problem?

Postby jbs » Fri Nov 17, 2006 5:46 pm

I've now got the thermostat and having pulled the freezer out can't work out where on earth the thermostat is located. Can anyone give me a clue about the general location of it?
jbs
Appliance Forum User
Appliance Forum User

Postby jbs » Fri Nov 17, 2006 6:07 pm

Ha! Found the cause of the problem fitting the thermostat the freezer is in fact a Schreiber APP 6403! Now why did I trust the MFI documentation sent with the freezer which identified it as an APM 6221?????

Anway, mystery solved of why I can't find anything that looks like the thermostat I've bought.

Back to my original question, can I get a thermostat for this freezer?

Also, I've found another posting on the Schreiber APP6403 which mentions problems with insulation being bad and states if you have this problem you'll get black mould growing on the top of the freezer. I've got black mould on the top, could it be that water damage has knocked out my thermostat and the freezer is kaput?
jbs
Appliance Forum User
Appliance Forum User

Postby DawnRazor » Tue May 08, 2007 5:38 pm

Hi jbs

Did you get anything resolved? Sounds like I have the same problem with the same model number!
DawnRazor
Appliance Forum User
Appliance Forum User

Postby trukkie » Tue May 08, 2007 7:29 pm

See the post - Schreiber problem

I believe the reason the freezer only works when pressing the fast freeze button is because the vibration on the PCB trips the relay in, eventually pressing the freeze button won't work either.
trukkie
Appliance Forum User
Appliance Forum User

Postby dshooter » Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:02 pm

Hi,

My Schreiber integrated freezer App 6403 has a similar problem to the one described above. It bleeped to be put onto fast freeze and then turned itself off from that and back to normal only to last about a day and we went through this cycle for a month or so, ate our way through it (every cloud....) and then turned it off as we were going on holiday. It seems likely to me that the problem is a dodgy thermostat as has been mentioned above - and the thermostat model number is 526012500. I'm just a little confused as I typed this into the shop section of your website and it came up with this but under the Hygena range of freezers? Is it a generic part, or has the Schreiber company been taken over etc....

Any help most welcome!

DAN

PS - is the thermostat and the PCB the same thing? :?
dshooter
Whitegoods Newbie
Whitegoods Newbie

Postby Dales-Electronic » Mon Aug 13, 2007 5:56 pm

both these models are made by Antonio Merloni for MFI
Dales-Electronic

Postby Dave_Conway » Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:08 pm

Due to several emails about thermostats etc, this thread seems to be confusing some people.

The thread title is for the APM6221 model which has thermostat part number 526012500, this can be found here:

http://shop.ukwhitegoods.co.uk/product_ ... ts_id=1115

It will only fit those models listed.

The APP6403 is a completely different type of freezer which is electronically controlled, this has no thermostat fitted but uses an electronic PCB which can be found here:

http://shop.ukwhitegoods.co.uk/product_ ... cts_id=687

Schrieber and Hygena and Diplomat for that matter are all the same, they are all brand names owned by and sold with MFI kitchens.

I hope this clarifies matters :D

Dave.
Dave_Conway
Appliance Forum Administrator
Appliance Forum Administrator

• Advertisement

Fridge & freezer thermostats

“Thermostats
You can buy replacement thermostats in our store here to fit all popular makes including thermostats for built in and integrated models from Diplomat, Lamona, Beko, Hotpoint, Bosch and many more

Return to Fridge And Freezer Forum