UK Whitegoods Domestic Appliance Help & Support Forums

Fridge And Freezer Forum

PTC Start Relay QP2-15

Use this forum for help and advice for fridges, freezers and fridge freezers. For fridge and freezer spares please click here

UK Whitegoods for fridge and freezer spare parts

Buy spare parts in our store for fridges and freezers including built in with many low cost compatible spares available or contact us and we will find the parts you need for you

by BB78 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:17 pm

So my freezer decided to die on me today, it kept clicking but the compressor wouldn't run, I think I've tracked the problem down to the PTC Start Relay but I'm struggling to find a replacement other than ordering one from Hong Kong and waiting weeks for it to be delivered.
The freezer is a Logik LUF55B13 and the PTC Start Relay has 1 pin and says: QP2-15 AM EP14C518.
(In case it's needed the compressor says: Anhui Meizhi Compressor SZ59E1HL and the Overload Protector says: Star DRB12N61A1 AM 14D-2.)
Am I missing something? Is a replacement start relay not available in the U.K.? If it is can someone point me in the right direction please?
Many Thanks
BB78
Appliance Forum User
Appliance Forum User

Fridge & freezer thermostats

You can buy replacement thermostats in our store here to fit all popular makes including thermostats for built in and integrated models from Diplomat, Lamona, Beko, Hotpoint, Bosch and many more

“Thermostats

by r600a » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:46 am

Hi

Why would you think that it's the PTC ?

Bryan
r600a
WTA Team Member
WTA Team Member

by BB78 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:17 am

When I take it off and shake it it rattles, although that said with the probes right inside the holes I was getting 15ohms on one setting on the multimeter. I also tested each pin on the compressor and was getting readings, although admittedly I'm no expert to know if they are right.
Do you think it could be something else then?
The freezer is only a couple of years old and just started doing this out of the blue, it makes a click which sounds like it's coming from the area of the PTC & overload, the compressor doesn't start, about 30 seconds later it clicks again, wait a few minutes and the cycle starts again so it sounds like it's trying to start but can't.
BB78
Appliance Forum User
Appliance Forum User

by r600a » Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:15 pm

Hi

Very doubtful its a PTC fault then. More likely the compressor as its a cheap chinese one.

Bryan
r600a
WTA Team Member
WTA Team Member

by BB78 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:40 pm

Oh don't say that cause that means a new freezer.
I'll have to get the multimeter out again because I can't remember the readings but I've read that what I'm looking for on the compressor is the highest reading across 2 pins and the other two readings should add up to the highest reading within 1/2ohms if the compressor is fine.
My only other way of checking it would be to see what PTC is on the fridge and try swapping them if they are the same.
BB78
Appliance Forum User
Appliance Forum User

by r600a » Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:49 pm

Compressor..Sorry
r600a
WTA Team Member
WTA Team Member

by ED1 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:57 pm

Hi BB78, did you manage to repair yours or did you have to get a new freezer. We're having exactly the same problem (I came here looking for the same parts as you)
ED1
Whitegoods Newbie
Whitegoods Newbie

by BB78 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:24 pm

Hi ED1, I've got to admit I haven't done anything about it, from the advice I received I've kind of taken it as read that it's the compressor and I need a new freezer and if that's the case I've got to decide between buying another undercounted freezer or going back to a tall fridge freezer.
I would love to know for sure as everything I've read says that the rattling start relay suggests that it's broken and I'm not entirely sure whether I'm using the right setting on the multimeter.
I might just order one of the relays I've found on eBay & wait however long for it to be delivered, for the sake of a couple of quid I'd then know for sure.
BB78
Appliance Forum User
Appliance Forum User

by BB78 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:08 pm

Confirmed the problem is the start relay, took it apart and there was 2 loose chips from the ceramic disc inside, took the disc out, turned it around and put it back in so that it made contact with both metal pins inside again, put it back on the compressor and hey presto! Freezer is working again.
Had already ordered a replacement from Hong Kong which will be here in a few weeks, that cost less than £1.50 and in the meantime I won't keep much in the freezer just in case and will keep an eye on it.
BB78
Appliance Forum User
Appliance Forum User

UK Whitegoods Spare Parts Store

Buy spare parts in our store from our team of spares experts that have a vast knowledge of the domestic appliance industry and access to over 14 million spare parts who will help you find any part you need and get it to you as fast and cheap as possible

Use this link to email us, tell us what you need and we'll find parts for you

shop spare parts

Return to Fridge And Freezer Forum