UK Whitegoods Domestic Appliance Help & Support Forums

Cooker And Oven Forum

Microwave Whirlpool AMW 415 IX tripping RCD when door closed

This forum is for any cooking appliances that you need help with like cookers, ovens, hobs, hoods & microwaves. For cooker and oven spares click here

Get oven and cooker spare parts

Buy spare parts in our store for built in ones and cookers including range cookers with many low cost compatible spares available or contact us and we will find the parts you need for you

Oven & cooker light bulbs

When you need a new light bulb or glass cover for your built in oven, cooker or range cooker we can supply almost any for UK ovens and cookers often at low prices and with many compatible bulbs stocked. Find replacement lamps and bulbs in our store for all major brands including Britannia, Bosch, Beko, Lamona, Rangemaster, Smeg and many more

Buy oven bulbs or lamps for built in ovens and cookers online

by csp13 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:34 pm

Hi there,

New to this forum but search and couldn't find something matching my problem with a Whirlpool Microwave (AMW 415 IX).

I recently moved in a house where the built-in microwave (probably around 5 year old) is tripping the RCD - the reason why the previous owners had a spare microwave on the side...

I realised that it's only tripping when the door is closed (doesn't when door is open).

I tested the outlet with another device, it works; I tested the microwave on another outlet, same problem.

I took out the microwave, removed the cover to inspect the switches (3 of them - 1 on top and 2 bottom) triggering when the door is closed. All seem in contact and 'click' when pressed on.

Nothing looking burnt on the boards.

I'm a bit lost and don't have the equipment to test where the potential short circuit may be...

I was thinking of buying parts to replace the switches, since they click, I'm not sure that's the best option, but can't think of anything else. (http://m.buyspares.co.uk/microswitch/pr ... =2031123bs)

I guess my question is: is it possible that one or more micro switch may be damaged even though clicking? Or is there something else I should be looking into?

Also, I may call in a professional, but I guess that will set me back at least £100, so may end up buying new...

Thanks!
csp13
Appliance Forum User
Appliance Forum User

Is your oven not heating up?

Should your oven not heat up then there is a good chance that the fan heating element has failed. Find a new one in our store including many low cost compatible heating elements for all major brands and we will support you in finding the element you need but also check thermostats including any safety thermostats that many modern ovens and cookers have fitted

Buy Fan oven elements and other heating elements for built in ovens and cookers online

by electrofix » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:09 am

you are tripping the RCD so your looking for an earth fault so I would try

disconnect turntable motor, insulate wires and see if it still trips with it not connected

also inspect the infra red grill elements for signs of breakage

its unlikely to be the switches

Dave
electrofix
Appliance Forum Moderator

by csp13 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:09 am

Thanks! Saved me ordering the switches! I'll try that tonight and will let you know.

If lucky, is it okay to operate the microwave without the failing part(s) keeping the disconnected wires insulated with duck tape?
csp13
Appliance Forum User
Appliance Forum User

by electrofix » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:24 pm

if its the grill element ok no probs but use good quality insulation tape

if its the turntable motor then unit will work but food may cook unevenly also do not operate it with the motor removed as it may leak microwaves

Dave
electrofix

by csp13 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:44 pm

Semi victory -

I tried disconnecting the grill element, still tripping. Also tried disconnecting the light (even though seemed to be working), still tripping.

I can't access the turntable mechanism and motor, but when disconnecting its connection directly from the micro-switch of the door mechanism, tada! It doesn't trip anymore.

Last question(s)... is it safe to operate the microwave leaving this disconnected (and insulated with duck tape)? Does it just mean I've only lost the turntable functionality?
csp13
Appliance Forum User
Appliance Forum User

by csp13 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:46 pm

Thanks Dave - just saw your last post.

The motor is definitely staying in as I can't access and I'll duck tape the wire end now disconnected from the micro-switch.

Sounds good?
csp13
Appliance Forum User
Appliance Forum User

by csp13 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:47 pm

And thank you so much for your advice and pointing me in the right direction!
csp13
Appliance Forum User
Appliance Forum User

by electrofix » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:58 pm

on most microwaves you have to clip out the lugs holding the cover, then fix the motor, then the cover is made to clip back on using a screw

Dave
electrofix

by csp13 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:05 pm

I don't know if it looks different because it's a built-in, but it seems like I need to remove a few part to access it.

I think I'll go with the 'no turntable' option!

Thanks again.
csp13
Appliance Forum User
Appliance Forum User

by electrofix » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:37 pm

without a turntable all foods that you cook will need to be turned whilst cooking to prevent localised hot spots in the food. liquids are not affected as the liquid can mover to disperse the heat
if you want to replace it take a picture of the bottom of the oven and post it and I will point out what to do

Dave
electrofix

by csp13 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:50 pm

Yes! I got it... Thanks for offering further help!

I had no choice because with the turntable disconnected from the switch: did a test run (with light food in the microwave), I could hear short 'tick tick tick tick' then after about 5 seconds of running, the cook stopped. Timer stopped (didn't trip anything or blow any fuse - yet?). It could be resumed, and then stopped again.

I guess disconnecting the turntable from the switch puts more (?) power onto some other element and makes it stop...

So, should I change the motor then - https://www.partmaster.co.uk/whirlpool/ ... ref=549973

(Annoyingly, some people who bought the part commented and managed to figure it out and changing it in 20min! I definitely missed the trick here...but challenged me to find out).
csp13
Appliance Forum User
Appliance Forum User

by electrofix » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:44 pm

open the base. disconnect both wires to the motor and insulate.

then check microwave works fully before proceeding

motor part number

old number 481236158419

new number C00311611

you can search for both numbers and you could ask site shop to see if they can supply

Dave
electrofix

by csp13 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:16 pm

And... fixed!

Part received, replaced and microwave now working fine.

Thanks again for your help Dave.
csp13
Appliance Forum User
Appliance Forum User

by electrofix » Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:27 pm

no probs m8 glad u sorted it

Dave
electrofix

UK Whitegoods Spare Parts Store

Buy spare parts in our store from our team of spares experts that have a vast knowledge of the domestic appliance industry and access to over 14 million spare parts who will help you find any part you need and get it to you as fast and cheap as possible

Use this link to email us, tell us what you need and we'll find parts for you

shop spare parts

Return to Cooker And Oven Forum