UK Whitegoods Domestic Appliance Help & Support Forums

Cooker And Oven Forum

Hotpoint EW91 Halogen Double Oven - repairs advice

This forum is for any cooking appliances that you need help with like cookers, ovens, hobs, hoods & microwaves. For cooker and oven spares click here

Get oven and cooker spare parts

Buy spare parts in our store for built in ones and cookers including range cookers with many low cost compatible spares available or contact us and we will find the parts you need for you

UK Whitegoods Spare Parts Store

Buy spare parts in our store from our team of spares experts that have a vast knowledge of the domestic appliance industry and access to over 14 million spare parts who will help you find any part you need and get it to you as fast and cheap as possible

Use this link to email us, tell us what you need and we'll find parts for you

shop spare parts

by cfam » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:16 pm

Looking for spare parts for Hotpoint EW91. Two faults so far:

1. The upper left and lower left electric rings no longer respond to the temperature control dials. I assume that a temperature regulator has failed. Can these be replaced?

2. The solar grill element also does not respond to the temperature control. Can this be replaced also?

Thanks in advance.

CFAM.
cfam
Appliance Forum User
Appliance Forum User

Support The Repair Community

How you can help in supporting out community is simple, just just use repairers from our online repair search if you need an appliance repaired

Buy any parts you need in our store that helps fund and maintain this website and the free use of it.

Don't use an adblocker.

That's all you need to do and we all appreciate your support and assistance.

by electrofix » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:36 pm

basically 2 controls

yes they can be replaced

suggest you message the site shop with all model and serial and ask

https://shop.ukwhitegoods.co.uk/

I put the model in but a number of option come up so it needs to be looked up on the manufacturers service info

Dave
electrofix
Appliance Forum Moderator

by cfam » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:02 pm

Dave,

Thank you for your advice. Just received the serial number so I'll head over to the shop.

Regards,

CFAM
cfam
Appliance Forum User
Appliance Forum User

by iadom » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:47 pm

All parts the same across all three model variants.

To identify it would be better to say which controls you think are faulty rather than upper left and lower left rings.

Give us the controls by number from left to right that you suspect are at fault.

Does the solar grill element come on at all ?

Using the attached picture may be of help in identifying the three regulators you need.

Not the easiest of jobs, both sides have to come off and the complete hob has to be loosened and moved out of the way as well as all the knobs etc.
Attachments
EW91 controls.jpg
Nothing really matters much, and hardly anything really matters at all.
iadom

by cfam » Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:15 pm

Hello Dave, Iadom,

Thank you for the picture, this was supplied separately by the shop staff. The controls I believe are at fault are positioned 1 and 2 from the left. With this information, the shop staff have supplied compatible parts, which I have received and I am now attempting to install. However, the pins seem to be different.

part supplied for control 1 https://shop.ukwhitegoods.co.uk/ele4123 ... -regulator

For control 1 (image attached), assuming this is the right part, I have labelled with arrows where I think the pin positions in the new component (left) relate to the old component (right). The connection for the red wiring appears straight-forward but the black wires it is not obvious. On the old component the position is labelled 4A but there is no equivalent position on the new component.

part supplied for control 2 (dual regulator) https://shop.ukwhitegoods.co.uk/cs146-c ... -regulator.

For control 2 (image attached) again I have labelled with arrows where I think the pin positions transfer across from the old (left) and the new (right) components.

So my questions are:

(a) have I got the right parts
(b) have transferred the pins across correctly.

Additional information:
The serial number for the cooker is 88 1 000 43.

I've parked the issue of the grill for the moment.

Any thoughts?

Regards,

CFAM.
Attachments
control_2 (640x480).jpg
control 2
control_1 (640x480).jpg
control 1
cfam
Appliance Forum User
Appliance Forum User

by electrofix » Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:51 pm

the contact numbers need to be seen to be certain and I can make them out from these photos clearly

Dave
electrofix

by cfam » Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:49 pm

Hello Dave,

Thank you for your reply. I have uploaded the photos again highlighting the contact numbers. For clarity I've removed my arrow labels.

Regards,

CFAM
Attachments
control_2_labelled (640x480).jpg
control 2 - labelled contact points
control_1_labelled (640x480).jpg
control1 - labelled contact points
cfam
Appliance Forum User
Appliance Forum User

by cfam » Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:57 pm

In case these images are not clear then higher resolution images can be downloaded from my dropbox using the links below:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/evj9aowuis5uh ... d.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/d7lpb9qz699z0 ... d.jpg?dl=0
cfam
Appliance Forum User
Appliance Forum User

by electrofix » Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:36 pm

no probs as far as I can see just match numbers

top one number for number

bottom one match numbers apart from both leads from 4A go on 4

Dave
electrofix

by cfam » Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:49 am

Hello Dave,

Thank you for your guidance. I have installed control 2, as this was straight-forward. But control 1 requires crimping the two black leads together and I don't have the right tool with me so I've had to leave this for the time being. A bit of pain putting the whole cooker back together though. The new control 2 unit appears to be working fine. Once the cooker was back together I looked at the problem with the grill.

Using the diagram provided by Iadom, the control for the grill is the first one from the right (I'll call this control R1). I asked my Mother to show me what she does to switch on the grill. This involved switching on the main oven for a couple of minutes then switching it off then switching on the grill. I noted that the solar grill elements had a slow oscillating glow, i.e., they would heat-up then cool down. This was the same for both the dual and single side settings. This suggests to me that the regulator needs replacing. I have captured the problem on camera but will have to post a link sometime tomorrow.

Any thoughts?

Regards,

CFAM.
cfam
Appliance Forum User
Appliance Forum User

by electrofix » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:37 am

you should not need to operate oven first to use the grill

turn the grill control to its highest setting and see what happens

these controls work on time so for example half heat will do the following

lets say a time cycle is 10 sec so the unit turn the element on for 5 secs and off for 5. full power is permanently on and lower temp just alter the ratio. As the control wears it may go out of calibration and not turn on enough. One of the ways you can tell is try turning the grill control slowly on and listen carefully for the click as the contact operates. it should click before it reaches the first number otherwise it wont turn on early enough

https://www.altecautomotive.co.uk/635mm ... 3850-p.asp

Dave
electrofix

by cfam » Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:36 pm

Hello Dave,

So Easter is next week and part 2 of the fix looms.

Thank you for the weblink. I was puzzled at first (penny in the air) as to why I was browsing a site for boats but then realised the solution, I don't need a crimper just a piggy-back (penny dropped).

Now for the grill - using the parts diagram shown earlier the control is the first from the right. When switched to its highest setting the grill elements instead of staying switched on cycle on and off, which is what I would expect if the setting was at its lowest. From this I assume that the control unit needs to be replaced - which part is need for this?

Regards,

CFAM

weblink to a short movie that I took during my last visit.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/dncozy65ffggs ... 2.mp4?dl=0 (takes a minute or so to load before viewing).
cfam
Appliance Forum User
Appliance Forum User

by electrofix » Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:21 pm

grill control does look most likely for that fault

https://shop.ukwhitegoods.co.uk/c002295 ... -regulator

Dave
electrofix

by cfam » Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:38 am

Hello Dave,

Forgive my tardy reply - spent the past couple of days tidying the house - I have my parents coming to stay for Easter.

I have ordered the part and hopefully it should arrive before I need to travel back North.

The piggy-back clips arrived this morning.

Thanks for you advice.

CFAM
cfam
Appliance Forum User
Appliance Forum User

Return to Cooker And Oven Forum

http://www.ukwhitegoods.co.uk/