UK Whitegoods Domestic Appliance Help & Support Forums

Fridge And Freezer Forum

FRIDGE DRAIN HOLE

Use this forum for help and advice for fridges, freezers and fridge freezers. For fridge and freezer spares please click here

UK Whitegoods for fridge and freezer spare parts

Buy spare parts in our store for fridges and freezers including built in with many low cost compatible spares available or contact us and we will find the parts you need for you

by Jeff613 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:03 pm

The drain hole on my Electrolux fridge is blocked.

I have tried the 'special' plastic tool without success. I have also tried pushing down plastic curtain rail (which always worked in the past) but this time the plastic rail will only go down a couple of inches and then comes up against a 'brick wall'.

I think that something has gone down the hole (maybe some cleaning fabric ) which has then just impacted preventing the water from draining away.

It's clear that the conventional clearing methods won't work!

Can I try a small amount of drain cleaner ie the liquid type that is put down, say, a basin to clear out accumulated gunge?
Jeff613
Appliance Forum User
Appliance Forum User

Get fridge water filters

You can buy replacement fridge water filters including many low cost compatible water filters in our store here for all major fridge freezer makes including American fridge freezers as well as built in and integrated models from Samsung, Hotpoint, LG, Liebherr, Maytag, Whirlpool and many more

Fridge water filters with free Timestrip for all fridge freezers including popular makes like Samsung, LG, Liebherr, Maytag, Whirlpool and many more

by RocketMan » Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:07 pm

Try something like a cable tie or pipe cleaner. Things do get stuck..peas, bit of plastic wrapping etc etc.

At the back, you could also look at where it exits above the tray which is on top of the compressor (black motor). There might be a rubber vent. The vent might come off This might help to clear it.

Please don't put anything like drain cleaner down there..not a good idea.
RocketMan
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Location: That's it, the longest day has been and gone, it's all down hill ;-)

by Jeff613 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:36 pm

Many thanks. Re the back of the fridge. There seems to be a long coil that goes horizontally down the length of the fridge and then disappears right at the bottom near the compressor. I can't see any tray! The fridge is over 40 years old (Electrolux TR71) so they might have been made differently then? I did attach a photo but I got a message that it was too large to be attached. Is there any way I can send this to you?
Jeff613
Appliance Forum User
Appliance Forum User

by SAMURI » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:35 pm

If is an old Electrolux then it should have an external drain pipe behind the condenser pipework.
If you loosen the condenser pipe work then remove the pipe you should be able to clear the pipe under the tap in your sink or from a hosepipe in the garden.

Bob
SAMURI
WTA Member
WTA Member

by Jeff613 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:24 pm

Thanks Samuri and Rocketman.

I have a feeling that this is going to be something rather complicated for me to attempt on my own!

Is there any way I can send you my photo of the back of my fridge (it was rejected by the post as being oversize!)?

You might then be able to provide further help.
Jeff613
Appliance Forum User
Appliance Forum User

by SAMURI » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:37 pm

The condenser is the big grill at the back normally held on with 4 to 6 screws you should be able to remove the screws on one side to gain access to the pipe.

Go carefull not to put to much stress on the pipework.

Not as difficult as it sounds to repair.

Bob
SAMURI
WTA Member
WTA Member

Fridge & freezer thermostats

You can buy replacement thermostats in our store here to fit all popular makes including thermostats for built in and integrated models from Diplomat, Lamona, Beko, Hotpoint, Bosch and many more

“Thermostats

Return to Fridge And Freezer Forum