UK Whitegoods Domestic Appliance Help & Support Forums

Cooker And Oven Forum

Electrolux when turned on fan does not always start.

This forum is for any cooking appliances that you need help with like cookers, ovens, hobs, hoods & microwaves. For cooker and oven spares click here

Get oven and cooker spare parts

Buy spare parts in our store for built in ones and cookers including range cookers with many low cost compatible spares available or contact us and we will find the parts you need for you

Oven & cooker switches

We supply switches and most other oven and cooker spare parts to the trade and public in our online spare parts store at terrific prices for all major brands including Smeg, Beko, Leisure, Stoves, Rangemaster, Britannia and many, many more

Shop online for
                        cooker and oven spare parts

by philp1863 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:26 pm

We have an Electrolux EOC6630. Its a few years old now, but still generally works well and is in good condition. Over recent months a fault has started to occur where we would (from cold) select the fan mode and the red light would come on(as expected), but the fan does not always start. It does this intermittently...sometimes it works and other times it does not work(dont know why). I am pretty sure (but need to confirm this) that the audible click does not occur when the fan does not actually come on. I read that there was a Fan Start stat switch and was wondering if this switch could be sticking or something? Any help or comments would be much appreciated. Thanks
philp1863
Appliance Forum User
Appliance Forum User

Oven & cooker door hinges

If the door on your built in oven or cooker isn’t closing properly it’s almost certain that the door hinges will need to be replaced. Find replacement door hinges in our store for all major brands including Hotpoint, Britannia, Beko, Rosieres, Stoves, Smeg and many more

Buy oven door hinges for built in ovens and cookers online

by philp1863 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:34 pm

Thanks for that, The oven does heat up and we have tried turning the fan to see if it was seized or something, but to no avail. thanks
philp1863
Appliance Forum User
Appliance Forum User

by electrofix » Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:41 pm

when you try to turn the fan does it feel like its trying?

if you take the cover off can you spin the fan easily ?

Dave
electrofix
Appliance Forum Moderator

by philp1863 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:34 pm

Thanks Dave. The fan does not sound like it is trying. It does spin freely. As I mentioned earlier, when the fan works, you can hear a click when you turn the switch to Fan. If the fan does not start then you dont here this click....thats what makes me think that it might be some sort of relay or start switch. However when it decides not to work its stubborn in that you can keep trying to turn to fan and it will just not work!!!. If you leave it for a while then suddenly it will work again??? I just dont understand it. Thanks again
philp1863
Appliance Forum User
Appliance Forum User

by electrofix » Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:53 pm

there are 6 different models with the same model numbers but the one I looked up uses the circuit board to control the fan. cant see why there would be a click as the fan is controlled by a triac which is noiseless

if you let me have the pnc number I or someone else can double check your model
Dave
electrofix

by philp1863 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:47 pm

Thanks Dave. Sorry maybe the click is a red herring....At the moment the fan is happily working, so I cant check this. I just thought that was the case. Obviously now it clicks everytime I turn the left dial to Fan(of course because its working). Every so often it will decide it wont work, which can of course be very inconveniant just before dinner. The PNC is PNC 944 182 611. Thank you for all your help.
philp1863
Appliance Forum User
Appliance Forum User

by Martin » Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:01 pm

A squirt of oil on the fan motor bearings, end of problem 9 times out of 10 :wink:
Martin
Appliance Master
Appliance Master

by philp1863 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:07 pm

Thanks Martin. The Fan turns easily and if you try and help it along in the case of failure it does not help. I think when it fails it is an electrical problem like a fan start stat switch??? I will listen out again next time it fails and see if it does make the click sound just to clarify that. But until it fails i cant do anything more. If it is the motherboard then really thats the end as it probably wont be worth fixing? Thanks again.
philp1863
Appliance Forum User
Appliance Forum User

by philp1863 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:24 am

Hi guys. I really must apologize for getting the facts wrong in my earlier posts. Sorry!! This morning the oven did its trick of the fan not coming on.
1. The click does still happen, so its got nothing to do with that.
2. I thought that the element heat still worked......It does not. I turned the right hand side dial to ask for heat and nothing happened. So fan did not work and no heat. I turned the heat right up and still did not work. We left it like this and still nothing happened. My wife 10-15 mins later (coincidently?)turned down the heat dial and shortly after that the fan started working.
Note:- Normally the fan will start working as soon as I select fan on the left control(with no heat selected).
Note:- I did replace the fan heating element a couple of years ago.
Does this make better sense????
Again sorry for the mis-information. Thanks
philp1863
Appliance Forum User
Appliance Forum User

by philp1863 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:25 am

My apologies first off as this is a repeat post. However I think I now know whats causing the problem and am wondering what if anything I can do about it?

If I turn the left dial to fan, the fan sometimes does not come on. However I have now discovered that if I shut the oven door reasonably hard then the fan will start. It sounds like some sort of contact problem. Once it is going, it does not stop and cooks fine. It just needs a bit of a tap on occasion to start it. :rolls:
I am happy to take it apart, but I think that I will probably be wasting my time and should just get a new oven?

Is there anything obvious that this can be?
Thanks, it just seems a shame to throw away a 'most of the time' perfectly working oven. Any thoughts?
philp1863
Appliance Forum User
Appliance Forum User

by electrofix » Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:01 pm

have sorted out your repeat post. its not a good idea to repost as this way members can see what has been going on and don't have to repeat advice

Dave
electrofix

by philp1863 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:35 pm

Hi Dave
Sorry about that. Since starting the first post I had realised that the information that I had given in that post was misleading and wrong. The fault was very intermittent and hard to track down. However the information in my first post was very misleading and that is why I thought that I should start again. I did contact the forum administators to ask if I could delete the first post and start again. They told me that it was not possible to delete the first post but that I should just start again. So I did!!???
Its funny though, because the cooker is still going, it just needs a bit of tap on the rare occasion that it stops. I just thought that somebody might have seen this fault before and give me a clue as to how I might fix it. As it stands we will probably keep using it till Christmas and then think about buying a new one. Shame, but never mind. All good things come to an end. Thanks.
philp1863
Appliance Forum User
Appliance Forum User

Get Spare Parts Cheap

Buy many cheap spare parts in our store including many compatible parts for all major brands including Hotpoint, Whirlpool, Smeg, AEG, Beko, LG, Samsung and many, many more.

Click to email, tell us what you need and we'll find the parts you need

shop spare parts

Return to Cooker And Oven Forum