UK Whitegoods Domestic Appliance Help & Support Forums

Washing Machine Help Forum

Siemens WM12P360GB Spin Problem

This forum is for support, help and questions you have about washing machines and washer dryers. For washing machine spares click here

Get spare parts for washing machines

Buy washing machine spare parts in our store for all major washing machine makes and models including many low cost compatible spares or contact us and we will find the parts you need for you

UK Whitegoods Spare Parts Store

Buy spare parts in our store from our team of spares experts that have a vast knowledge of the domestic appliance industry and access to over 14 million spare parts who will help you find any part you need and get it to you as fast and cheap as possible

Use this link to email us, tell us what you need and we'll find parts for you

shop spare parts

by nemonon123 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:51 pm

Evening all,
I have a Siemens WM (model no as above) which has become a labour of love after replacing 2 x sets of drum bearings over the last couple of years, and I am therefore loath to junk it and spend £500 replacing it.
Relevant (?) background as follows: 7 weeks ago fitted set of Bosch bearings, seal and split drum seal after previously replaced cheapo Chinese set gave way after exactly a year. At the same time I replaced 1 of the 3 shock absorbers. Carbon brushes were replaced in Jan 16 during first bearing replacement completed after help from this site.
Problem now is that 9/10 times it won’t run a full spin cycle. Motor starts to run up but gives up at about 50 rpm once drum begins to wobble. Machine is draining ok, motor sounds ok, test wash cycle on empty has spun normally up to 1200rpm and a couple of washes has actually spun normally during my diagnosis so, unfortunately whatever it is, is showing up as an intermittent fault.
I’m obviously thinking it might be an asymmetric load sensor or that sensors actually picking up load imbalance effect due to my replacing only 1 of the 3 shock absorbers last Jan.
Having offered all this, the wiife has mentioned that post-wash clothes have been wetter than normal over the last few months, so maybe it’s a problem that is progressively getting worse and the above is all a coincidence?
I would appreciate any advice that can let me save this machine from the scrap heap.
Cheers
nemonon123
Appliance Forum User
Appliance Forum User

Does your washing machine stink?

If your washing machine stinks, smells bad or emits strange odours it is most likely to be caused by bacteria build up in the washer. To clean this we recommend using Affresh that you can buy here to clean out the bacteria. And for more detailed advice on washing machine odour you can read our article all about smelly washing machines here

Buy Affresh washing machine cleaner here to stop bad smells from your washing machine

by nemonon123 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:05 pm

Anyone know where the imbalance sensor is on this model? Definitely related to imbalance as it keeps just getting up to speed and then quits.
I’ll replace the springs and 2 remaining original dampers at least.
Any help appreciated as the missus is getting a little impatient with my make do and mend ways!
nemonon123
Appliance Forum User
Appliance Forum User

by electrofix » Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:26 pm

if the springs are not broken then they wont need replacing

does it spin with no load in ?

Dave
electrofix
Appliance Forum Moderator

by nemonon123 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:54 pm

Yes, it spins ok without any clothes.
I’m beginning to think it may be the more obvious drain problem. In a light mixed programme just now it spun up normally but then failed to spin at the end of the programme. So I drained the drum from the pipe at the front and the coin trap next to the pump and removed about 800cc of water which I figure may be enough to prevent the machine from attempted by to spin?
I have recently moved home and am wondering whether, after moving it into the new position, a slight kink in the drain hose (looks fine to me) might generate enough back-pressure to prevent full drain?
nemonon123
Appliance Forum User
Appliance Forum User

by electrofix » Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:42 pm

how does the hose connect to the drain ?

Dave
electrofix

by nemonon123 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:32 pm

Hook-over pipe
nemonon123
Appliance Forum User
Appliance Forum User

by electrofix » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:58 pm

make sure it only goes down the pipe for about 8 inches as most people tend to push it to the bottom and that can cause problems

dave
electrofix

by nemonon123 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:04 pm

Back to square one: no spin after having manually drained at end of whites cycle this evening.
Any idea how these machines detect an imbalance during the load distribution process?
nemonon123
Appliance Forum User
Appliance Forum User

by electrofix » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:25 pm

most of the time its detected by motor load. if its out of balance the motor will need to work harder to pull the washing to the top of the drum and as it comes over the top it gets easier to get it to the bottom

just like driving a car up and over a hill

it looks like this unit has a brush motor. Have you checked the brushes ?

Dave
electrofix

by kaibart » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:34 pm

I'm not sure if this has a 3d sensor fitted on the top back end of machine with the lid off it's in the back top right hand corner make sure you unplug 1st though
kaibart
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

by kaibart » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:36 pm

Screenshot_20180319-213347.png
It looks like this
kaibart
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

by electrofix » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:46 pm

there are 21 models of this machine

looked up WM12P360GB/03
and this one has this sensor

have you had these go faulty Kaibart ?

Dave
electrofix

by kaibart » Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:00 pm

No I've had them not fitted right but they are to do with the obb
kaibart
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

by nemonon123 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:46 pm

Thanks gents, I appreciate the help.
Replacement carbon brushes were done 14 months ago when I did the first set of bearings.
Top’s off and springs look fine but there is s pronounced wobble as the drum starts to spin up. I’ve no idea whether that is as should be or not. Springs look fine and can access the imbalance sensor mentioned. For further diagnosis, if I was to unplug that sensor would it remove the protection and spin, or just default to a safe ‘no spin’?
Any way of testing the output voltage if that sensor to see whether it’s working properly or not?
I’ll try the simple and cheap stuff like brushes first on Friday and then have a go at replacing the imbalance sensor (£55!). Will let you know how this progresses.
nemonon123
Appliance Forum User
Appliance Forum User

by nemonon » Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:40 am

Update to this problem which is still not resolved:

Motor brushes are fine. Half-worn already (14m old) but still good enough.
Machine seems very sensitive to a heavy load and will spin normally when a light, varied mix of washing is in there (ie easy for the drum to distribute evenly relatively quickly?). Heavy items like towels and bath mats are troublesome and will often take 3-4 attempts at spinning to get it to work properly. This has me thinking that it is
a. an over-sensitive balance sensor or
b. a real imbalance issue that the sensor is picking up properly due to asymmetric performance of the shock absorbers, (I only changed 1 of the 3 a couple of months ago having damaged the plastic mounting lug upon drum removal). Are these shock absorber mounts that critical in maintaining an even drum motion and should they always be replaced in sets to ensure even performance?
Appreciate any assistance offered to help - I'm getting close to junking this one.
nemonon
Appliance Forum User
Appliance Forum User

Next

Washing machine drain pumps & parts

If your washing machine will not drain the cause will normally be that either your drain pump is blocked or faulty resulting in the machine failing to empty. You can buy replacement drain pump including many low cost compatible washing machine pumps in our store to fit all major washing machine makes including AEG, Beko, Hotpoint, Bosch and many more

Drain pumps for most washing machines including popular makes like AEG, Hotpoint, Beko, Baumatic, Bosch and many more

Return to Washing Machine Help Forum