UK Whitegoods Domestic Appliance Help & Support Forums

Washing Machine Help Forum

Miele W842 - drain pump keeps stopping, but no blockage

This forum is for support, help and questions you have about washing machines and washer dryers. For washing machine spares click here

Get spare parts for washing machines

Buy washing machine spare parts in our store for all major washing machine makes and models including many low cost compatible spares or contact us and we will find the parts you need for you

Get Spare Parts Cheap

Buy many cheap spare parts in our store including many compatible parts for all major brands including Hotpoint, Whirlpool, Smeg, AEG, Beko, LG, Samsung and many, many more.

Click to email, tell us what you need and we'll find the parts you need

shop spare parts

by marklensman » Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:30 pm

The drain pump runs for a few seconds, although it sounds like it's struggling, then it stops and the "Rinse" light flashes.

There's no obstruction in the pump that I can see when I remove the filter, and the problem occurs even if I run a rinse cycle with no water in the machine and the filter left off.
marklensman
Appliance Forum User
Appliance Forum User

Washing machine drain pumps & parts

If your washing machine will not drain the cause will normally be that either your drain pump is blocked or faulty resulting in the machine failing to empty. You can buy replacement drain pump including many low cost compatible washing machine pumps in our store to fit all major washing machine makes including AEG, Beko, Hotpoint, Bosch and many more

Drain pumps for most washing machines including popular makes like AEG, Hotpoint, Beko, Baumatic, Bosch and many more

by electrofix » Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:54 am

it sound like the machine thinks there is still water in it possibly

there is a small rubber tube that connects to the panel to detect water height

find this tube and as a test disconnect it from the panel, set a rinse programme and see if it starts to fill. If yes switch off, drain and follow tube to the bottom of the machine where it will be blocked in the pressure chamber it connects to

if you do blow in the tube to make sure its clear do not blow through it while its connected to the panel as it damages the sensor

Dave
electrofix
Appliance Forum Moderator
Appliance Forum Moderator

by 1totalshambles » Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:18 pm

One thought! These things are fitted with a magnetic Askoll style of pump. Could simply be the pump bearing has worn out. If so the impellor would have a distinct amount of side play. Some Bosch pumps on older models fail the same way.
1totalshambles
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

by marklensman » Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:23 pm

Thanks guys. I'll check these.
marklensman
Appliance Forum User
Appliance Forum User

by marklensman » Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:00 pm

EDITED.
OK, I removed the pump. Miele 5012770 (DPS 25-041, 30W, Hanning EW)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/vxa2bgcrfkhu1zq/Miele%20pump.jpg?dl=0

There is a very slight rattle if I run the pump free from its housing. It still stops after 15s or so, and the warning flashes.The warning flashes after 15s into a drain cycle even with the pump totally disconnected, so it's not some mechanism that detects excessive pump current.

BTW, there was no cotton thread etc wrapped around the rotor. I did find some tiny metal parts in the housing that had escaped my attention when I cleaned the filter - (a dressmaker pin and two small spectacle screws) - these perhaps account for the erratic "struggling" before.

@1totalshambles
There's no side play at all on the rotor. When rotating the impeller, apart from the expected cogging from the magnet, there is a smooth frictional drag as if there is a silicone rubber seal on the rotor. Is this normal?

@electrofix
I disconnected the tube from the panel - I could blow through it OK from the freed panel end.

On reflection, I'm puzzled that the machine would switch off the pump if it thought there is water still in it.

I'd expect it would switch off if it thought there was NO water in it, but I can't understand why it would flash a warning light in that case.

I haven't tried filling the machine, as I know it won't drain.
marklensman
Appliance Forum User
Appliance Forum User

No water into your washing machine?

If your washing does not fill up with water then it is likely that your water supply is faulty or the water fill valve in your machine is. Find replacement water valves in our store including many low cost compatible fill valves for all major brands such as Hoover, Hotpoint, Beko, AEG and more

Buy washing machine water valves and other washing machine spare parts

Return to Washing Machine Help Forum