Washing Machine Help Forum

hoover optima oph714d

This forum is for support, help and questions you have about washing machines and washer dryers. For washing machine spares click here

Moderators: Jackal, Del, Dave_Conway, don, iadom, Penguin45, r600a, johnmac11, eastlmark, Dales-Electronic, dquinn

Buy spare parts for washing machines

“Washing
Buy washing machine spare parts in our store for all major washing machine makes and models including many low cost compatible spares or contact us and we will find the parts you need for you
Pay

• Advertisement

hoover optima oph714d

Postby darknez » Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:41 am

hi im new here really need some help please

i have a hoover optima oph 714d that stops mid cycle and keeps giving error codes at first it was error 03 but now its saying error 16 ??witch isnt even mentioned in the manuall,ive checked filter with no blocks in it so any info would really help thx all :rolls:
darknez
Whitegoods Newbie
Whitegoods Newbie

Advertisement

Washing machine drain pumps

Drain pumps for most washing machines including popular makes like AEG, Hotpoint, Beko, Baumatic, Bosch and many more
If your washing machine will not drain the cause will normally be that either your drain pump is blocked or faulty resulting in the machine failing to empty. You can buy replacement drain pump including many low cost compatible washing machine pumps in our store here to fit all major washing machine makes including AEG, Beko, Hotpoint, Bosch and many more

Re: hoover optima oph714d

Postby THEWHIRLPOOLMAN » Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:26 pm

HI, E03 IS BLOCKED PUMP, E16 IS O/C HEATER
THEWHIRLPOOLMAN
Appliance Forum User
Appliance Forum User

Postby jjtops2 » Mon Dec 27, 2010 6:37 pm

Hi whirlpoolman,

I also have the E16 code on the same model.

What is the O/C heater? I have checked the spares list and found a heating element but nothing referring to 'O/C'.

Thanks very much!
jjtops2
Whitegoods Newbie
Whitegoods Newbie

Postby helo_75 » Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:17 pm

o/c - open circuit

ie DUFF
helo_75
Appliance Veteran
Appliance Veteran

Postby spanishwhite » Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:17 pm

o/c means open circuit. Helo beat me to it.
spanishwhite
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby jjtops2 » Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:47 pm

ah! thank you both!!

Any tips on a likely fix? Is more likely a part or a connection?? The machine stops halfway through a cycle with E16 but will then complete a cycle if turned off and on again.

Thanks very much!
jjtops2
Whitegoods Newbie
Whitegoods Newbie

Postby spanishwhite » Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:35 pm

If the leads are fitted correctly the only fix is to replace the heater element
spanishwhite
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby jjtops2 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:16 pm

Thank you for your help!
jjtops2
Whitegoods Newbie
Whitegoods Newbie

Postby Waterboy Iggy » Sat May 21, 2011 7:50 am

I'm having the same problems as above on the same model (e03, tinker about and then get e16 - leave it off for a while and it's back to normal).

I checked the filter, ran the pump with the filter out and saw it running, water seems to evacuate fine. Is there some kind of sensor which detects whether the water has been emptied? Could this be faulty, hence it's timing out and giving e03 because it can't see that the water is actually well and truly gone?

As for e16, I think that's a bug because it clears on its own and washes (albeit only half a cycle before e03 kicks in) and warms fine.

Any ideas??
Cheers,
Iggy
Waterboy Iggy
Whitegoods Newbie
Whitegoods Newbie

Postby kwatt » Sat May 21, 2011 8:25 am

There are no less than eight versions of this washing machine, which one do you have? ;)

However fault code E03 is indeed a drain timeout or a failure to drain. This could mean a faulty drain pump as it could cut out after running for too long or, it could be a blockage which, given what you've said is more likely. In a lot of modern machines that use a pressure sensor (that's the sensor detecting the error) they can be fooled into thinking they've not drained when they actually have done.

This isn't the fault of the machine, it's got more to do with the user. ;)

What can happen and, often does, is that low cost detergents are used or, too much detergent or, quick wash programs with a normal dose of detergent or any combination thereof that leads to over foaming. This foam gets stuck in the pressure sensor hose and stays there holding the sensor "open" and in turn making the machine think it hasn't drained when, it really has.

After a while the foam dissipates and the machine goes back to working normally as it should.

Bear the above in mind if you can't find anything actually faulty as it's very common these days to get that issue.

Your E16 error is a problem with the heater or heating circuit, it's reporting an error with the heater basically.

HTH

K.
"It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the most responsive to change." Charles Darwin

Domestic appliance spare parts Find an appliance engineer here
kwatt
Appliance Forum Administrator

Postby Waterboy Iggy » Sat May 21, 2011 10:57 am

Thanks Kwatt, from what you say I think the culprit is the pressure sensor.

I have pulled the machine out and looked through all the drainage pipework, filled it with only water, the drain part seems to work absolutely fine, but I think the signal isn't getting back. Even on a drain cycle (4 min long) it fails after 3 (ie timed out on drainage).

So here's my next question - where is the pressure switch/what does it look like?!? Once located I'll try checking connections, try and see if it's stuck, and finally just replace it and see.

As for my model, hmm, it's a 7kg load 1400rpm spin - if that helps. Otherwise need to shove it all over the place to get to the serial tag...

Cheers,
Iggy
Waterboy Iggy
Whitegoods Newbie
Whitegoods Newbie

Postby kwatt » Sat May 21, 2011 11:29 am

Just search in the shop to get a look at what the pressure switch looks like. ;)

K.
"It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the most responsive to change." Charles Darwin

Domestic appliance spare parts Find an appliance engineer here
kwatt

Postby helo_75 » Mon May 23, 2011 1:35 am

save youself some time and just put a new heater in, the e03 can be caused by the heater, and e16 is a faulty heater anyway

overanalyzing will cost you dear!
helo_75
Appliance Veteran
Appliance Veteran

Postby Helen1604 » Mon May 23, 2011 12:17 pm

Hi, thanks to all who have posted about this. I too have the hoover optima and have been getting the E3 code but only when I was washing at 90 degrees but I had checked pipes & the water drained ok on every other wash. Today I got the E3 code so turned it off then started a 60 degrees wash, after a few minutes I got E16 code & was puzzled as its not in the manual. I came across this website & realised I'm not alone in this problem. The heater thing makes sense since it was the higher temperatures that had the problems. I'm trying a 40 degree wash now & hopefully that will work. I'm not sure how easy or cheap it is to fix it, my washer is over 2 years old.
Thanks again for all your helpful posts.
Helen1604
Whitegoods Newbie
Whitegoods Newbie

Postby Waterboy Iggy » Fri May 27, 2011 7:36 pm

Thanks for your help, in particular kwatt :)
In the end I ordered a new pressure switch (£10 - thanks for pointing out how to find it K!!), fitted it today but no cigar - first time unlucky and got e03 error again...
I'm of 2 minds - try the heater, or admit that I am in fact NOT a washing machine repair man deep at heart, and call someone in?... hmmmm...
Waterboy Iggy
Whitegoods Newbie
Whitegoods Newbie

Next

• Advertisement

Washing machine drive belt broken?

Buy washing machine drive belts and other washing machine spare parts
If your washing drum does not turn then it is possible that the drive belt in your machine has snapped or broken. Find a new drive belt in our store including many low cost compatible drive belts for all major brands. Do also check for carbon brush wear if the belt is not broken when you get no drum rotation

Return to Washing Machine Help Forum