Washing Machine Help Forum

Hotpoint ultima washing machine

This forum is for support, help and questions you have about washing machines and washer dryers. For washing machine spares click here

Moderators: r600a, johnmac11, eastlmark, Jackal, Del, Dave_Conway, don, iadom, Penguin45, Dales-Electronic, dquinn

Buy spare parts for washing machines

“Washing
Buy washing machine spare parts in our store for all major washing machine makes and models including many low cost compatible spares or contact us and we will find the parts you need for you
Pay

• Advertisement

Hotpoint ultima washing machine

Postby dangerous brain » Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:18 pm

Hi there. I'm hoping you chaps could help me out here. I moved into a rental house that has its own washing machine. The agency said that the washing machine wasn't a sustainable resource and I suspect thats because they knew its broken. Thats by the by anyway.

I'm not sure what exact model it is as there are no model details to be seen on the machine other than the ultima written on the powder tray. First time I switched it on the lock symbol continually flashed. I had a look inside and there didn't appear to be anything major untoward so I got a replacement door lock/switch. This did't fix it so I took out the main board. It would appear the main board is cooked. The copper wound component in the centre of the board (transformer I think) has carboning on the other side of the board to it and one of the rectangle I think its a transistor z9m y029 is blown out.

The main board is an AKO 547 352 GDA 1617204217 flash 48 956-03

Where the door lock plug goes to the motherboard there's another slot that the plug can fit on. It looks like someone has plugged that plug on there as there is tell-tale scoring on the terminals. Now I assume that the plug should go onto the X1 terminal on the board.

Bearing in mind its not my machine is it worth a replacement main board? Where would I get one without knowing the model code? Could I just desolder the transformer and transistor and replace them as they aren't surface mount fiddly items?

Something else thats puzzling me is that the door switch doesn't actually appear to do anything. When manually pushed across it doesn't bridge any terminals (the new one is the same) It only seems to do anything if you slide across the lock mechanism and then manually push the little spigot that sticks out the end which in turn locks the door mechanism. That bridges the two outer terminals. Seems a bit odd that the switch doesn't switch anything.

Any help would be appreciated as I'd rather not have a derelict machine using up space in my house until I move.
dangerous brain
Whitegoods Newbie
Whitegoods Newbie

Advertisement

Washing machine not filling with water?

Buy washing machine water valves and other washing machine spare parts
If your washing does not fill up with water then it is likely that your water supply is faulty or the water fill valve in your machine is. Find replacement water valves in our store including many low cost compatible fill valves for all major brands such as Hoover, Hotpoint, Beko, AEG and more

Re: Hotpoint ultima washing machine

Postby Penguin45 » Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:41 pm

Model number is printed on the control panel and on a label on the door/hinge area.

It is the one essential piece of information required.

Penguin45.
Which bit of "Unplug it" is causing the problem?
Appliance Forum Moderator

Postby helo_75 » Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:18 pm

itll be a wma

the lock wont switch till its 'locked'

the neutral on the board will be cooked
helo_75
Appliance Veteran
Appliance Veteran

Postby dangerous brain » Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:04 am

helo_75 wrote:itll be a wma

the lock wont switch till its 'locked'

the neutral on the board will be cooked

Ah ten points lol!! Its a WMA61.

I can understand the lock not switching until the lock is depressed but how does it output the signal to say the door is closed?
dangerous brain
Whitegoods Newbie
Whitegoods Newbie

Postby helo_75 » Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:41 pm

it has a live.. a neutrsal and a common

door closes, swithc is activated, door locks.. feed supplied to board
helo_75
Appliance Veteran
Appliance Veteran

Postby dangerous brain » Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:56 pm

helo_75 wrote:it has a live.. a neutral and a common

door closes, switch is activated, door locks.. feed supplied to board

I gathered it would do something like that, but I failed to find a difference in continuity across any of the 3 pins when operating manually the door shut part of the switch which I would expect to find as I'd expect the mainboard needs to know the door is shut before it tells the lock to operate.
dangerous brain
Whitegoods Newbie
Whitegoods Newbie

Postby twinspark » Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:23 pm

its get its neutral through the motor :o
twinspark
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby dangerous brain » Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:42 pm

OK well I will have to fail to understand why a switch doesn't alter its continuity when operated lol. So does anybody know where abouts I could get a mainboard for this machine thats not going to tear my wallet in half (like I said its not even my machine) or if its ok to just solder in replacement bits like the transistor and transformer thats gone?
dangerous brain
Whitegoods Newbie
Whitegoods Newbie

Postby iadom » Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:48 pm

dangerous brain wrote:OK well I will have to fail to understand why a switch doesn't alter its continuity when operated lol.

Because the 'switch' in the door lock is only triggered when voltage is applied across the two terminals that have continuity, the slide operated by the latch prevents the switch side of the interlock from closing unless the door is closed and the latch has moved the slide out of the way.
That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.
iadom

• Advertisement

Before you post it… search it!

Use the search function before you post!

Please, before you post and ask something that has been asked before (often many times) please use the search facilities available.

Here you can search the forums only, including trade forums with permissions

Here you can search the entire site including all articles, public forums and online store

Return to Washing Machine Help Forum