Washing Machine Help Forum

Hotpoint WD62 module connections / not drying

This forum is for support, help and questions you have about washing machines and washer dryers. For washing machine spares click here

Moderators: r600a, johnmac11, eastlmark, Jackal, Del, Dave_Conway, don, iadom, Penguin45, Dales-Electronic, dquinn

Buy spare parts for washing machines

“Washing
Buy washing machine spare parts in our store for all major washing machine makes and models including many low cost compatible spares or contact us and we will find the parts you need for you
Pay

• Advertisement

Hotpoint WD62 module connections / not drying

Postby Sheikey » Wed Dec 28, 2005 11:43 pm

Hi,

I've just found this site and hopefully someone can help.

Story so far:
The door switch went and blew the module pcb too. Got a replacement switch and a reconditioned module.

Thought I had correctly noted where each connector on the pcb went but I now have nothing connected to the section of the board marked 'TEMP'. Is this correct?

Does anyone have module connection details for this machine??

Anyhow, without anything connected to 'TEMP', I’ve tested a wash cycle. This completes successfully but at the start of the drying phase, the fan powers up (for about 10 secs), then switches off. The door can then be opened immediately.

Are these two (connectors and non-drying) related or is the non-drying a different fault?

I've also checked the thermal cutout at the top of the machine and have continuity.

Thanks for reading all this!
Keith
Sheikey
Whitegoods Newbie
Whitegoods Newbie

Advertisement

Washing machine drum paddles

“Drum
Broken drum paddles or lifters are often a fairly easy part to replace yourself and you can buy replacement drum paddles including many low cost compatible washing machine paddles in our store to fit all major washing machine makes including AEG, Beko, Hotpoint, Bosch and many more

Re: Hotpoint WD62 module connections / not drying

Postby iadom » Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:10 am

There is no connection on the 'temp' position on this machine, nothing to do with the dryer cycle. Can the door be opened when it is filling. is there a few seconds delay before the machine starts ? It does sound like you have either incorrectly wired the control unit or the reconditioned one is faulty, where did you obtain it? Also possible that when the tracks on the timer PCB blew it may have damaged the contacts in the edge connector blocks.
That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.
iadom
Appliance Forum Moderator

Postby Sheikey » Thu Dec 29, 2005 1:06 pm

Thanks for your prompt reply.

No, the door can only be opened when the light goes out.

Yes, about a 3 seconds.

The only mistake I may have made is swapping the 2 green edge connectors but other than that I'm sure all the others are correct. If I had; would the machine still be working?

Got the replacement pcb from QER.

I've had a quick look at the connector blocks and they all look sound.
Sheikey
Whitegoods Newbie
Whitegoods Newbie

Postby iadom » Thu Dec 29, 2005 5:03 pm

Sheikey wrote:
the fan powers up (for about 10 secs), then switches off. The door can then be opened immediately.

This bit puzzles me, The machine should not function at all until the door is locked, and after locking the interlock should always take around a minute to release, even if you unplugged the machine. May suggest that further damage has been done to the machine when it blew, possibly the dryer timer may have suffered.

When you say the two green connectors, I can only think of one green connector, ( I don't have a machine in front of me ) which fits on the top edge with two black wires going down to the pump???

I know from personal experience that some of the plugs will fit on more than one slot on the PCB, and some of the functions will still work if they are incorrect. Difficult to advise you anymore from this distance. The one plug that is often damaged is the top one that fits nearest the front of the control unit.
If you can take a picture of your control unit with the connections in situ or do a rough sketch I would at least be able to check for any anomolies.
iadom

Postby Sheikey » Fri Dec 30, 2005 1:51 pm

Agreed. Door unlocks very quickly after the fan stops at the start of the drying phase with not the obvious time delay that there should be.

I've uploaded a rough sketch here:
http://www.island-dj.co.uk/wd62/module.bmp

When the original pcb blew; tracks near "12" were damaged but these are definitely ok on the reconditioned module.
Sheikey
Whitegoods Newbie
Whitegoods Newbie

Postby iadom » Fri Dec 30, 2005 4:53 pm

All look to be in the correct positions, I'm assuming that the blue connector on the botton edge is not exactly adjacent to the five terminal plug. The two black wires from the green plug on the top of the board should go down to the pump and those from the bottom of the board should go to the heater temp control device. Its a pity you don't have the original timer, in over 90% of cases a link wire and a simple soldering job is all that is needed, I rarely replace a control unit for this fault.

I'm afraid that from this distance I cannot think of anything else that could be causing your problems, possibly a faulty dryer timer or other wiring dislodged, but that would be pure speculation.
iadom

Postby Sheikey » Sun Jan 01, 2006 3:42 pm

Whilst removing the board to check it for the nth time I found out that not all the pins on the connector marked 4 on my diagram were making contact with board. I could not see this with the board in situ. Must have been pushed out by some of the wires when I put the board back.

I feel such a *** but at least it's working again.

Thanks for all your help (and patience)
Sheikey
Whitegoods Newbie
Whitegoods Newbie

Postby iadom » Sun Jan 01, 2006 6:49 pm

Thanks for getting back to us with the outcome. :tup:
iadom

• Advertisement

Washing machine carbon brushes

Carbon brushes for most washing machines including popular makes like AEG, Hotpoint, Beko, Baumatic, Bosch and many more
Did you know that carbon brushes are very often the cause of a washing machine drum not turning when they wear out? You can buy replacement carbon brushes including many low cost compatible washing machine carbons in our store here to fit all major washing machine makes including AEG, Beko, Hotpoint, Bosch and many more

Return to Washing Machine Help Forum