Whirlpool Dishwasher And Others Fault Codes
- Hits: 57130
We get asked (a lot) about failure, error or fault codes on the Whirlpool made dishwashers, most of which are integrated models, from a number of manufacturers so instead of answering the same questions over and over we're putting what we know in one document, this one.
Now you have to understand certain things before you begin and we want to make these points very, very clear to anyone that decides to investigate one of these machines on their own:
- We are not responsible for your safety, you are and by using this guide you accept that and accept that any damage that you may cause and work undertaken is entirely at your own risk.
- We will advise the common causes of the fault codes but we cannot guarantee that any parts or work recommended will resolve the issue. It is entirely your responsibility to diagnose your particular problem and resolve it.
- We are not responsible for you buying spares that do not resolve the problem, this is down to your own diagnosis not ours.
- No warranty is inferred, implied or given.
You also have to understand that fault or error codes are not a "magic bullet", they will not tell you what the problem is, they will only offer you an indication of where the problem lies and they are no substitute for good old fashioned diagnostic skills. You can find out more about what fault codes actually tell you in this article. So please be well aware that, even with this new found knowledge you will still have to actually be capable of investigating and diagnosing the problem and this means adhering to basic appliance safety for working on them. As, if you don't and tell the engineers in the forums that you hooked up components to a live feed, worked on a live appliance and so on they will be a whole heap less willing to help you in our dishwasher forum because they will assume that you are trying to commit suicide and are not safe working on your machine.
These dishwashers are supplied under the following brand names:
There may well be some dishwashers we've forgotten about but, if you get pointed to this page it's probably one of these or, a dishwasher that uses these fault codes.
Whirlpool Dishwasher Fault Codes
Depending on the version of the dishwasher these codes can be displayed as a series of flashing lights on the control panel of the dishwasher, a series of beeps, both or a numeric error code displayed in the controller's display if your dishwasher model has that feature. In order to read the code, either the flashing lamp or the beeps, you need to count them as there will be a series of one or the other (not often both), then a pause and then the sequence will repeat. The number of beeps or flashes gives you the fault code below, for any other codes not listed it's odd but you can ask in the forums anyway and we'll try to help you.
F1 - NTC break
Temperature out of the normal value (-3°C till +85°C)
- Temperature inside higher than +85°C
- NTC defective (the NTC is the most common cause of this error and can be obtained from this link)
- Dishwasher is frozen, less than -3°C
If the temperature is less than -3°C, fill the appliance with a cup of warm water to warm it up before you start it.
F2 - Water Leakage
- Water is in the bottom tray
Floater or float switch switches off the water valve and the electronic switches on the drain pump until pressure sensor reports that it is empty. There are numerous causes for this fault, but it all usually comes down to the fact that something, somewhere is leaking. To cure this you need to find the leak.
F3 - Dishwasher Heating System Defective
Indicated after approximately 25 minutes of failure to reach operating temperature.
- Heats too slowly (less than 1,5 °C in 10 min)
- Water heater or heating element is defective (this is the most common cause of this issue and the heating element is available from this link)
- Relays (RE2) on control board (CB) is defective
- NTC - resistance fluctuation (the NTC or thermostat sensor, as noted above, can be found from this link)
Check the heating element first if you get this error.
F4 - Dishwasher Draining Failure
Drain pump starts and after 4 min the machine detects that it is “not empty”
- Drain pump defective
- Siphon closed
- Control board defective (very rare!)
- OWl/WI defective (Optical sensors, if fitted, but most don't have them)
The most common cause of this is either a blocked or defective drain pump. On that front you have two choices, you can either go with the genuine dishwasher drain pump from this link or, you can opt for a much, much cheaper compatible drain pump from this link.
F6 - Water Tap Closed
Water valve is switched on but flow meter sends no impulses and the water indicator is off
- Water inlet tap closed
- Water inlet hose blocked
- Water inlet valve defective (common enough issue but also check the flow meter in the side chamber, the water valve is here if required)
- Flow meter detective
It is a very common issue with these dishwashers and the common flow meter is built into the side chamber which can be accessed by removing the right hand side panel (looking from the front of the dishwasher) and the commonly used spare part can be found from this link
F7 - Flow Meter Failure
Water inlet valve is switched on and the water indicator is on.
- Flow meter sends too few impulses (less than 10 imp. in 10 sec.)
- Water tap closed during water inlet
- Water inlet hose blocked
- Water inlet valve defective
- Flow meter defective
F8 - Water Level Failure
Failures are supervised over the whole program. Mechanical water indicator WI Spray pump works, the WI switches more than 20 times in 2 minutes back
Optical Water Indicator
Always after the OWI - signal is missing the electrical components are turned off for 5 sec. If after the 5 sec. the OWl-Signal is still not present then it notes a failure F8. If, however, after the 5 sec the OWl-Signal is present, then the water-level is filled to 6 Ltr. and the electrical components are again turned on. After the OWl signal is missing for a second time note an F8 failure.
- Water inlet defect? Should switch on after approximately a 1 litre intake of water
- Filter blocked
- Water foaming giving false reading
- Pot has turned off and is filled with spray water
- No stable spray pump working, main wash motor faulty
F9 - Continuous Water Inlet
Water inlet valve is switched off, water indicator on, flow meter sends impulses (more than 10 imp. in 10 sec.)
- Water inlet valve mechanically not closed
- Triac on the control board permanently switched on. (short circuit)
Reaction: interval 30 sec. drain pump on / 20 sec. drain pump off in interval
The main control boards are model specific, if you want to buy one please contact us with the model number and the 12NC number from the rating plate just inside the door of the dishwasher to ensure that you get the correct one.
Please do note that manufacturers can and do change fault codes without notice and we cannot guarantee that these error codes will apply to your particular model as all codes apply to a wide range of appliances and not normally any one specific model. To determine if these fault codes do apply to your particular dishwasher model please post a request to confirm this in the forums.
Applies To Dishwasher Models
Please note that this list is not exhaustive, these fault codes may apply to other dishwasher models but in the main these will be built in or integrated dishwashers.
ADG6340/1AV, ADG6340/1IX, ADG6340/1NB, ADG6340/1WH, ADG6340AV, ADG6340IX, ADG6340WH, ADG642/1BR, ADG642/1IX, ADG642/1WH, ADG6441WH, ADG6552IX, ADG6552WH, ADG6560/1WH, ADG6560IX, ADG6560WH, ADG6561IX, ADG6962IX, ADG7340, ADG7440, ADG7441, ADG7540, ADG7540/1, ADG7550, ADG7952, ADG7960, ADG8441/2IX, ADG8441/2NB, ADP4000WH, ADP4400WH, ADP4403WH, ADP4404/5WH, ADP4440WH, ADP4500WH, ADP4501/5WH, ADP4501WH, ADP4502/5/S, ADP4502AL, ADP4504WH, ADP4544WH, ADP4601WH, ADP4602AL, ADP4731/5/S, ADP4731/5WH, ADP4731WH, ADP4732AL, ADP5440AL, ADP5440WH, ADP5540/1AL, ADP5540/1WH, ADP5540AL, ADP5540GR, ADP5540WH, ADP5962WH, ADP6830/5WH, ADP6830WH, ADP8332, CW492/1B, CW492/1SS, CW492/1W, CW494/1, ADG7340, ADG7440, G2PDWI/1WH, APDW/2, ADG6340AV, ADG6340IX, ADG6340WH, ADG6441WH, ADG6552IX, ADG6552WH, ADG6962IX, ADG7441, ADG7540, ADG7540/1, ADG7952, ADP5440AL, ADP5440WH, ADP5540GR, ADP5540WH, ADP5962WH, CW492/1B, CW492/1SS, CW492/1W, CW494/1
GSF8971WS, GSF8984WS, GSX7551, ADP7740/3WH, ADP7962/3WH, GSF8971WS, GSF8984WS, GSX7551
Hygena And Diplomat Dishwashers
ADP8322, ADP8332, ADP8500, ADP8501, ADP8502
10098930, 30098929, 40027045, 40027050, 60027049, 80027051, 90027043, 90098931, DWF415S, DWF415W