This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Great Washing Machine Swindle ?

This question has been put on hold for a while.

Are the general public being swindled by the major manufacturers?

The article below will explain :

washing machine swindle

We would like the general public to debate on this issue.

Bryan
    Yes
    0.00%
    No
    100.00%
    http://www.ffrservices.co.uk http://www.pandoserviceuk.co.uk

I actually think this should be public. After all, it affects the public as much as it does the trade.

K.
    "Sometimes you get the best light from a burning bridge" Don Henley

Cheap appliance spare parts in our store ? Find an appliance repair company here

Comment

Re: The Great Washing Machine Swindle ?

Hi Ken

It is in the public forum.

Bryan

Comment

I know.

K.

Cheap appliance spare parts in our store ? Find an appliance repair company here

Comment

Hi All

Considering that this is a topic thats caused such a debate when advised that repairs are not viable when advise is asked for in the repair forums we havent had any replies as of yet.

bryan

Comment

Well Hell Honies I am jumping right in with my size 9 feet.

In answer to your question YES YES YES x 1000 Manufacturers are swindling the public. (By the way Kwatt, Good Article I thoroughly enjoyed reading it! Shame I don't qualify for The Trade Forum otherwise I would be an internet bookworm with all the juicy gems you guys are privileged to)

When I think back to my days of working at NE Retail, (1980's to early 1990's) people came to our showrooms & they took their time to evaluate the machines on offer, after all buying an appliance was a major purchase decision & not one to be made in haste. Granted we were not always the cheapest but people paid their money because the machines sold themselves, they were good quality & backed with a 5yr Warranty. (1yr Parts and Labour & 4yrs Parts only) It was doubtful you would ever need to make use of it. You knew that you were buying a machine that would last at last 10yrs.

Our most trusted brand & best selling make of washing machine was Hotpoint, followed by Hoover followed by our own make Electra which was usually a re-badged Creda or Hotpoint and aimed at the budget market. Spares were reasonably cheap & those machines proudly boasted "Made in Britain". How many of the new machines today can truly boast that?

If I take my Auntie Gwen's machine as an example, I bought her that from work many years ago at a discount for 199, it was a Hotpoint 850 spin, two chunky buttons on the front (Economy & No Spin I think?) It lasted 20yrs. The only fault I can think of is that it needed a couple of sets of carbon brushes throughout its life but that was it. Would you get 20yrs service out its modern day equivalent bar a Miele or an ISE? - I think NOT!

Yes I think Manufacturers are to blame but I also think we as consumers are equally to blame & must share the responsibility for sending the wrong signals to Merss Hotpoint Hoover et all. You see we simply won't put our hands in our pockets & pay for quality. We want things cheap! (Especially my Sister) If you use the inflation argument your 279 washer back in the 80's is more like 700 now & of course we housewife's will just not pay it & so corners have to be cut somewhere & that my friends has spawned the cheap machine nightmare.

When I think of the Servis Brand, a good English brand, made in the Midlands. I sold many a one of their twin tub's & Quartz Washers. They weren't cheap but they lasted, sadly they went to the wall not once but twice because who would pay for a 349 washer when you could get another make for say 250? Bless their little cotton drums they did try to woo the customers, remember the free tumble dryer giveaway (re-badged Bendix) with their Quartz Machines? - If I had a for every time some snotty nosed kid came in wanting a Green Frog like the one that used to sit on top of the machine in their adverts I would be a very rich woman indeed by now! I digress........

Perhaps in these now green times the EU will do something about it & tax the hell out of those companies that pursue these environmentally unfriendly policies of built in obsolescence. 60% TAX on all of their machines. For those responsible makers like ISE, the tax collected should be shared out & given to them as a reward for their commitment to the environment and to help offset future research and development projects.
            I bet with a hit in the bank balance it wouldn't be too long before they came to their senses. - Here Hoping!

WQ
            Made in the People's Republic of WonPing by the Foo-Wong Placca-Knacka Corporation. - One Day it may eventualy work before bursting into flames!

Comment

OOOhh

How I love a woman with big feet :P

Bryan

Comment

Originally posted by WhirlpoolQueen
                Well Hell Honies I am jumping right in with my size 9 feet.

In answer to your question YES YES YES x 1000 Manufacturers are swindling the public. (By the way Kwatt, Good Article I thoroughly enjoyed reading it! Shame I don't qualify for The Trade Forum otherwise I would be an internet bookworm with all the juicy gems you guys are privileged to)

When I think back to my days of working at NE Retail, (1980's to early 1990's) people came to our showrooms & they took their time to evaluate the machines on offer, after all buying an appliance was a major purchase decision & not one to be made in haste. Granted we were not always the cheapest but people paid their money because the machines sold themselves, they were good quality & backed with a 5yr Warranty. (1yr Parts and Labour & 4yrs Parts only) It was doubtful you would ever need to make use of it. You knew that you were buying a machine that would last at last 10yrs.

Our most trusted brand & best selling make of washing machine was Hotpoint, followed by Hoover followed by our own make Electra which was usually a re-badged Creda or Hotpoint and aimed at the budget market. Spares were reasonably cheap & those machines proudly boasted "Made in Britain". How many of the new machines today can truly boast that?

If I take my Auntie Gwen's machine as an example, I bought her that from work many years ago at a discount for 199, it was a Hotpoint 850 spin, two chunky buttons on the front (Economy & No Spin I think?) It lasted 20yrs. The only fault I can think of is that it needed a couple of sets of carbon brushes throughout its life but that was it. Would you get 20yrs service out its modern day equivalent bar a Miele or an ISE? - I think NOT!

Yes I think Manufacturers are to blame but I also think we as consumers are equally to blame & must share the responsibility for sending the wrong signals to Merss Hotpoint Hoover et all. You see we simply won't put our hands in our pockets & pay for quality. We want things cheap! (Especially my Sister) If you use the inflation argument your 279 washer back in the 80's is more like 700 now & of course we housewife's will just not pay it & so corners have to be cut somewhere & that my friends has spawned the cheap machine nightmare.

When I think of the Servis Brand, a good English brand, made in the Midlands. I sold many a one of their twin tub's & Quartz Washers. They weren't cheap but they lasted, sadly they went to the wall not once but twice because who would pay for a 349 washer when you could get another make for say 250? Bless their little cotton drums they did try to woo the customers, remember the free tumble dryer giveaway (re-badged Bendix) with their Quartz Machines? - If I had a for every time some snotty nosed kid came in wanting a Green Frog like the one that used to sit on top of the machine in their adverts I would be a very rich woman indeed by now! I digress........

Perhaps in these now green times the EU will do something about it & tax the hell out of those companies that pursue these environmentally unfriendly policies of built in obsolescence. 60% TAX on all of their machines. For those responsible makers like ISE, the tax collected should be shared out & given to them as a reward for their commitment to the environment and to help offset future research and development projects.
                I bet with a hit in the bank balance it wouldn't be too long before they came to their senses. - Here Hoping!

WQ
                Bingo WQ
                Well said,consumers won't go that extra mile to buy quality,but what i really can't get my head around is why so many spend nearly 1000.00 PLUS on tv's etc.
                Why can't they buy a 14" tv it is much cheaper :wink:

Dave

Comment

As was said in one post, may have been the trade forums, might not...

It staggers me that people will pay more for a hunk of junk from Taiwanese made Dyson vac than they will on a washing machine.

Amazing.

K.

Comment

would this topic be read more if it were in the washing machine forum? seems a little lost here

Comment

Over 240 reads in no time at all. :wink:

Jim.
                      Nothing really matters much, and hardly anything really matters at all.

Comment

but no replies from outside the trade

Comment

Well, I'm sorry to say I'm trade related too. And like Whirlpool Queen, I'd love to be able to look at the trade forums for some inside knowledge!

I'm afraid people are too wedded to bargain hunting these days. You've only got to look at web sites like Martin Lewis's Money Saving Expert.

Quote from "Vansboy" ....

"I usually like to think of buying a 'quality' product where I can.

But washing machines that last for 20 years don't make sense to me - not sure if too many of these premium brands will these days, anyway, so stick to a known OK brand, not their bottom of range model, better still an end of line model & spend 250, buy on a card with a free years extension of makers warranty, Nationwide, Citi, Yorkshire Bank all do this & you'll have enough $$ to replace it in 30months time, if you were unlucky!

Better than spending 6-700 now on a posh name!!

Even Indesit - probably the best ones anyway, have 5year parts warranty. Just they'll stuff you with an 80ish labour cost!!"

When I protested about the environmental cost and suggested buying a better quality make (like ISE), the reply was:

"BUT... while the appliance may well 'last' a long time, it still MIGHT not be as efficient & cost effective, as buying a reasonable brand, every now & then & keeping the difference in your bank - if you could afford the outlay in the first place!!"

(this is the link: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...=624223&page=2 - it's a long thread about IKEA kitchens)

Vansboy seems to have twigged that premium named brands may not be all they seem - and comes to the conclusion that you might as well buy a cheap machine ... every 30 months! 8O ... it's all part of the problem that your article describes.

I'll mention your article on my blog ... but I think saving money is becoming a new religion! Trouble is, of course, that it doesn't always work out to be truly economical in the long run.
                          Majjie
                          at [url="http://www.advancedkd.co.uk"]www.advancedkd.co.uk[/url]

Comment

Another curl to this:

Not all of us carry out just chargable work,Have a read of this:

What If... Appliance Servicing Collapsed?

Bryan

Comment

I`d have to say that it isn`t the Manufacturers swindle the customers rather the consumers swindling themselves.

Anybody who buys a Beko on sale in Tesco at 169.00 is either poor, stupid or greedy.

The manufacturers are simply providing a product which has a demand.Nobody buying a Beko would ever buy a 800 Siemans, they`d simply go to the local Appliance repair shop and buy a reconditioned Hotpoint with 12 months warranty and if they were lucky it would be rebuilt buy a professional to a high standard and wouldn`t kill them.

There isn`t anything stopping a person buying a high quality product.

Now had the Manufacturers sold a 169.00 Beko for 1200, there`d be an issue.

The retail prices have been dropping every year, thats the fault of the real criminals in the Industry, the guys who don`t tell the little old lady who`s just bought the new Fridge/Freezer it won`t work in her un heated house.
                              Or the guy who needs a second unit to put in the garage, but the sales man won`t ask negatives, if the client didn`t state its for a garage why tell him and loose a sale.

Mis selling products just to get sales up is the real problem.Its the Tesco`s guy tell the person the Beko will work great, when its really a pile of garbage.

Comment

Cheap Spare Parts

Collapse

Affresh

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X