X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Andy jones
    replied
    Re: The Great Washing Machine Swindle ?

Not sure if I get the hysteria around wether a tub is sealed or not, in my opinion if bearings go after a couple years i would have to think twice about repairing it. How long before it happens again, these are the things customers are saying to me as well.

Leave a comment:

• kwatt
    replied

Oh, but a lot of the newer ones do, not sure of that without a model right enough but a lot of Bosch machines are now coming with sealed tanks and sealed doors.

K.

Leave a comment:

• Martin
    replied

Originally posted by kwatt
    .... as will the Bosch most probably.
    Oh no it doesn't. Hence why I referred to it as a good product to buy.

Leave a comment:

• kwatt
    replied

.... as will the Bosch most probably.

K.

Leave a comment:

• Martin
    replied

Originally posted by kwatt
    Ikea... made by Electrolux.
    ........comes with a welded tub!

Leave a comment:

• kwatt
    replied

Ikea... made by Electrolux.

K.

Leave a comment:

• tiggerwendy
    replied

Thanks again all.

Before we go for the Bosch, any thoughts on the Ikea one? 5 year guarantee and cheaper - http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/30312712/

Leave a comment:

• Martin
    replied

Originally posted by tiggerwendy
    What would you say would be the least worse of the rest?
    Currently the Bosch WIS28441GB. Comes with a 2 yrs guarantee (can be extended to 5 and can be installed by the likes of John Lewis - avoid Currys or weep)

Leave a comment:

• r600a
    replied

But, if it lasts 20 years then it would be worth it.
    Hi

Not a real chance. When it does go wrong it will cost an arm and leg and probably a couple of extra toes.

If you do buy the Miele then buy when they have there 10yr warranty promotion.

Bryan

Leave a comment:

• tiggerwendy
    replied

Thank you so much for your time. We really would like to keep the line of the wall of units. Looking at the Miele integrated washing machine - is there a reason they don't seem to do one fully integrated? And cor blimey they are so much more expensive! But, if it lasts 20 years then it would be worth it. Failing being able to swallow the cost now, and wanting to keep the nice clean line of units, what would you say would be the least worse of the rest?

Looking at Liebherr fridges now - again ouchy price but ooooh, nice fridges

Leave a comment:

• kwatt
    replied

No.

Integrated machines are often just the same internals for the most part at least as the freestanding counterparts so, have the same baggage.

They are no better built. They are no more durable.

When you do have to swap it out though, it's a huge heap more hassle.

Integrated refrigeration, Liebherr, install it properly per the instructions in respect to ventilation especially and it'll last. Pretty much anything else, all bets are off.

K.

Leave a comment:

• tiggerwendy
    replied

Oh! Bugger!! From that are you saying that integrated are even more likely to break than freestanding or is it just that they're so much harder to physically replace? We have designed the kitchen to have a solid bank of floor to ceiling units that will include the washing machine, integrated fridge/freezer (that we're also struggling to choose) and eye level cooker. There isn't anywhere else in the kitchen that a washing machine could go....

Leave a comment:

• kwatt
    replied

Funnily enough I was talking about that today.

The conversation was along the lines of...

Me: "What integrated washer would you recommend given the current trend to sealed tubs, a few years of life etc?"

Other: "Err, yeah, now you mention it, none really."

Me: "Yeah, right pain to swap out after a few years even if you can still get a replacement kitchen door. Probably best to just tell people to save the money and buy a freestanding machine."

From that, I hope you get the point.

About the only one that's likely to last a decent amount of time now, so you don't have all the hassle is a Miele but, that comes at a cost up front and if it breaks.

K.

Leave a comment:

• tiggerwendy
    replied

This is all really interesting. I've learnt a lot from reading the articles on here. So, I now want 6kg load and 1200 spin.
    My washing machine is still working, a Zanussi bought in 1991. We're about to get a new kitchen and I have been persuaded to change to an integrated washing machine.
    After reading all this, what brands should I be looking at if I have a hope of it lasting longer than 3-4 years? We are two adults and a 3 year old. I guess we do maybe 4-5 loads a week on average.

Leave a comment:

• 1totalshambles
    replied

Interesting points, but 1)each purchasing case is different: if you live alone and use a washing machine once or twice a week I don`t think there`s alot of point spending big money on a machine or at least if or/and when it fails the parts might be obsolete to fix, ISE for example where they`ve ceased production. Then the next issue is what make of cheaper machine to buy as there`s no point buying just any new make just because it is cheap. Cheap `off beat named makes/branded` machines` usually equals expensive parts relative to the cost of the appliance or even no parts availability, go ask a Pro-Action owner! 2) buying expensive can mean elusive and exclusive and expensive parts and service, Smeg owners know that as do V-ZUG and Miele owners. 3)just because a machine costs 1000 doesn`t mean that the p.c.b won`t go wrong, only takes a pissy small triac to fail and your stuffed for a potential 350 repair charge. A Russell Hobbs 250 machine`s p.c.b is a direct swop over with no programming required and costs around 40 the argument is which out of the two examples is likely to fail and the answer is ....that there is no answer!
    If you buy a well known cheaper brand costing 300 and the drum bearings fail after 5 years and you have to have a new tank unit, around 140 for the sealed tank unit, you can make an easy choice whether to bother or not. If your 800/1000 machine goes South, and you can`t fix it yourself, you could be looking at a 400+ repair bill so your no better off but what you are is also trapped: too expensive to scrap too expensive to get repaired and what else is just around the corner, new motor brushes at 55 a pair, a new belt at 40+.
    Green Issues: it was never the intention to make a washing machine that was truely green repairable, by that, relative to how much the thing cost relative to a low service rate. The real Green Agenda was to creat a new industry that disposes of disposable goods by processing them back into raw materials with a ready source, a never ending source feeding the recycling industry.
    If the industry really wanted to change, which it doesn`t, what you do is make a machine where even modern 21st Century man, who`s pretty hopeless, could repair himself cheaply should the need arise or you go the complete opposite and have machines that are sold as genuinely disposable and are sealed and retail for 120. Now there`s the choice, a choice the industry and repair industry gripe about, a repair industry dying.

Leave a comment:

Cheap Spare Parts

Collapse

Affresh

Collapse
Working...
X