Qualtex

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beko TL546APW Fridge freezing food and not defrosting

The door seal is perfect and I've replaced the thermostat, starter and cutout to no avail - fridge just runs all the time. If defrosted manually it seems to settle at a normal temperature for a while but as the frost builds up inside the temperature goes well below freezing with thermostat setting at its lowest. I suspect a problem with the auto defrost but can't access it because it's sealed in behind the insulation foam. There is no PCB on this model that I can see but I'm assuming there must be hidden sensors and something to control the defrost cycle. Can anyone advise how this particular model of Beko defrosts before I tear into the insulation looking for a needle in a haystack!

No, there are no other sensors in it, just the thermostat.

If it freezes continuously then the obvious thing is the thermostat or how it's been wired that would be the most likely issue.

K.
    "Sometimes you get the best light from a burning bridge" Don Henley

Cheap appliance spare parts in our store ? Find an appliance repair company here

Comment

Many thanks for getting back so quickly! Is the defrost cycle simply instigated by the thermostat cutting out - ie no heater or sensors? I did wonder about how the thing had been wired but it's been fine for four years and I was meticulous about reconnecting the replacement thermostat and starter. Don't suppose there's a wiring diagram anywhere for this model?

Comment

Yes, it's all done by the thermostat and it looks as if two were used, probably discerned by product code so that's the first thing to check I suspect and ensure you got the correct one.

K.

Cheap appliance spare parts in our store ? Find an appliance repair company here

Comment

I actually tried two thermostats - I had one I bought for another fridge and hadn't used it so even although the probe was shorter I thought I'd give it a try. It made no difference but I assumed it was just the probe not reaching far enough so bought a new one of the correct length and listed for this model. There was indeed another one listed but I assumed they would both be compatible - possibly not. I'll get a photo of the product code and see if there's a difference. Seems odd though because the probe is certainly long enough (it hits a stop) so unless there's something remarkably different in the functioning of the two thermostats listed I would have thought that it would at least have cut out at some point!

Comment

They need to be right so the cut in and out temperatures are correct for a particular cabinet.

K.

Comment

Absolutely - I've a feeling I compared Ranco part numbers stamped on the side with the original but I'll double check on that and see if there are differences by product code. Don't suppose you have Ranco part numbers for the two variants listed?

Comment

Nope, not to hand.

K.

Comment

OK - I'm not in the house just now - but will get the product code later and see if that sheds any light! Thanks ever so much for taking the time to reply - very much appreciated.

Comment

Not sure if it's clear from the photo but product code is 7233446314

Comment

According to Beko, it's this one used in that unit:

https://shop.ukwhitegoods.co.uk/9002...dge-thermostat

K.

Comment

Many thanks - I've put the order through to you. The one I have already fitted, which was supposed to be compatible has a different Ranco number to the original but the one you have given me in the link is the same as the original. Hopefully this will solve the problem.

Comment

No problem at all, thank you.

K.

Comment

Fitted new thermostat this afternoon and unbelievably - the compressor still runs non stop! Temperature is away down near freezing and thermostat is only set at '1'. I really can't fathom this thing at all. It's almost as if there is a fault in the wiring that's bypassing the thermostat but that seems highly unlikely. I've changed the starter / cutout and that made no difference. There's still a thick layer of ice on the back so certainly not defrosting - which is inevitable with a constantly running compressor!

Comment

Is the back cooling evenly across the back panel?

K.

Comment

Cheap Spare Parts

Collapse

Affresh

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X