Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Samsung RSA1RTPN Condenser Fan Issue

Hi,

I have an American style Fridge/Freezer (Samsung RSA1RTPN).

Around 5weeks ago I noticed that the contents of my freezer were starting to defrost and the fridge did not seem as cold as it had been. I had noticed prior to this that the main body of the fridge/freezer where the doors close and meet the plastic was very warm.

I switched the freezer off then back on and the digital display showed an error (freezer side 2nd digit bottom left segment flashing), I have since found that this is a Condenser Fan Error.
    At the time I did not know what this error was and proceeded to arrange a repair via a company who just finds a local technician and sends them.

1st visit the guy advised he thought it was a fan/motor issue, ordered the part and it was fitted by another guy at a later date. The fridge/freezer worked for a few days and then stopped working, same error.
    Another engineer advised that it might be the inverter board and ordered a new one. It was fitted by yet another guy. The freezer basically then cooled to temperature and then stopped working again.

I began scouring the internet and found out about the error code and the condenser fan. Currently if I switch the freezer off and then back on the condenser fan does not operate and the coils heat up. The fridge and freezer will begin to cool however the the body where the doors close onto begins to get very warm and so do the coils. Eventually the compressor stops running and the fridge/freezer sections begin to heat up again.

Does anyone have a clue what this could be? Have we managed to break 2 condenser fans or is the PCB not sending the signal to start the fan?

If I can't solve this myself then I will need to buy a new fridge/freezer.

Thanks
    Will

I dont work on domestic fridge as tbh i dont see it being cost effective however i am a refrigeration engineer by trade and I work on commercial units.

I would say if your going through boards and motors as you say you are there is something more serious causing the issues.

Are the engineers you've had out trained refrigeration guys? or general white goods engineers?

Comment

Originally posted by TrickyRikki88 View Post

Are the engineers you've had out trained refrigeration guys? or general white goods engineers?
      That is a good question. My wife called a domestic appliance repair company who must have a network of contractors who they call on to carry out the repairs. I could not say if the are refrigeration guys or general white good engineers with experience of replacing parts on fridges.

I checked the pins on the PCB that connect to the condenser motor and when the fridge is initially switched on there is ~9V.

When they are changing PCBs I think it is guess work.

Comment

Thats why i thought i would ask as i know in general white goods engineers usually just chuck parts at units until they get the right one, i have had a few white goods people instantly say to people the compressor is dead, knowing full well its cheaper to buy a new unit than to fix the current unit and when i have double checked over the units the compressors have been fine.

After a quick google it looks like the condenser fan motor is 12v, when the condenser fan has stopped does the motor get really hot?

Comment

After a quick google it looks like the condenser fan motor is 12v, when the condenser fan has stopped does the motor get really hot?
          The fan never starts as far as I can see.
          I have been told that the fan should kick in after 5mins but it definitely doesn't come on in that time.
          If I power cycle the fridge/freezer the compressor kicks in and the condenser coils begin to heat up. The fridge and freezer temps begin to drop and the centre frame of the fridge becomes very warm. Eventually the compressor stops and the fridge and freezer temps rise and it doesn't kick in again. I can see there is overload protection on the inverter PCB board, from the circuit diagram, but I can't see any thermal protection on the inverter PCB. There is a thermo fuse for the Freezer Defrost Heater on the main PCB but that's it.

I'm tempted to hook up a temporary fan to run all the time for a couple of days, and position it near the coils to cool them and see if the freezer runs any better.

Comment

Originally posted by Will Lafferty View Post
            If I power cycle the fridge/freezer the compressor kicks in and the condenser coils begin to heat up. The fridge and freezer temps begin to drop and the centre frame of the fridge becomes very warm. Eventually the compressor stops and the fridge and freezer temps rise and it doesn't kick in again. I can see there is overload protection on the inverter PCB board, from the circuit diagram, but I can't see any thermal protection on the inverter PCB. There is a thermo fuse for the Freezer Defrost Heater on the main PCB but that's it.

I'm tempted to hook up a temporary fan to run all the time for a couple of days, and position it near the coils to cool them and see if the freezer runs any better.
            Sorry Will,

So when you power down then back up the compressor starts? does it get really hot, too hot to touch?

Condenser coils? does the system have 2 condensers? (condenser coil is the coil behind the fridge not inside)

How old is the unit? im not too sure on what your fridge is like so i will try and get a manual and have a little look to see if i can help you further

Comment

Sorry Will,

So when you power down then back up the compressor starts? does it get really hot, too hot to touch?

Condenser coils? does the system have 2 condensers? (condenser coil is the coil behind the fridge not inside)

How old is the unit? im not too sure on what your fridge is like so i will try and get a manual and have a little look to see if i can help you further
              No need to apologise, I appreciate the fact you are taking the time to even go through it with me.

If you go to the youtube video below and skip to about 1min 40secs the back of his unit is very similar to mine.

https://youtu.be/Acr-3DR6Ktc

So if the fan is in the middle then the compressor is on the left and the condenser coils are on the right of the fan.

To answer your questions:

So when you power down then back up the compressor starts? Yes.
              does it get really hot, too hot to touch? No, it seems fine.
              Condenser coils? does the system have 2 condensers? (condenser coil is the coil behind the fridge not inside) - Coil at the back as per the video
              How old is the unit? Just over 6 years old

Comment

No worries, if i can help i will

Yes i see what you mean now.

I havent found a manual for it yet but i will continue my search.

By all means you could try to put a fan blowing onto the compressor and condenser area to see what it does to the system, if it runs to temp and cuts in and out when it should then maybe they supplied you a faulty fan motor without knowing? we have had a few parts like that. Keeping a static fan on the condenser coil will do no harm and will let you know if its the fan motor holding the system off, if even with the fan running on it the unit still dont reach temp and/or the comp cuts out then there is something more to it.

Keep me posted on if the fan works and i will let you know when i find a manual for it so i know abit more what type of unit you have

Comment

No worries, if i can help i will

Yes i see what you mean now.

I havent found a manual for it yet but i will continue my search.

By all means you could try to put a fan blowing onto the compressor and condenser area to see what it does to the system, if it runs to temp and cuts in and out when it should then maybe they supplied you a faulty fan motor without knowing? we have had a few parts like that. Keeping a static fan on the condenser coil will do no harm and will let you know if its the fan motor holding the system off, if even with the fan running on it the unit still dont reach temp and/or the comp cuts out then there is something more to it.

Keep me posted on if the fan works and i will let you know when i find a manual for it so i know abit more what type of unit you have
                  So tried the experiment with the fan last night. Switched the unit off, also put an ice cube tray filled with water in the freezer, and then switched it back on with the fan blowing cold air on the coil.
                  The freezer temperature setpoint was -20DegC. As usual the compressor kicked in and the temperature dropped. After a couple of hours the water had frozen and the freezer temp was showing as -20DegC when I opened the door. I changed the temp setpoint to -25DegC and opened the freezer door for a bit to drive the temp up (it went to -18DegC). After I closed the freezer door I expected the Compressor to kick in again but I didn't hear it going, however I came back an hour later and the temperature was showing as -25DegC. I then changed the setpoint to -20DegC and left it, the temporary cold fan I set up had been running the whole time.

I went back to it a few hours later and opened the freezer, it showed on the door as be -20DegC, however the ice cubes were melting.
                  I switched the unit off and on again and the temperature on the door was now showing as +8DegC. At this point I just turned the cold fan off and left it. When I got up this morning the Freezer display was showing as -20DegC and the water had frozen again, so it must have kicked in during the night. I switched the unit off and on again to get the real temperature and the freezer was showing as -17DegC.

So I have no idea. The condenser fan is definitely knackered however I think there is another issue on top of that. My suspicion is a thermostat, but then the display showed the temperature increasing when I left the door open but then it is displaying the wrong temperature the majority of the time unless the unit is powered off then on.

Comment

So tried the experiment with the fan last night. Switched the unit off, also put an ice cube tray filled with water in the freezer, and then switched it back on with the fan blowing cold air on the coil.
                    The freezer temperature setpoint was -20DegC. As usual the compressor kicked in and the temperature dropped. After a couple of hours the water had frozen and the freezer temp was showing as -20DegC when I opened the door. I changed the temp setpoint to -25DegC and opened the freezer door for a bit to drive the temp up (it went to -18DegC). After I closed the freezer door I expected the Compressor to kick in again but I didn't hear it going, however I came back an hour later and the temperature was showing as -25DegC. I then changed the setpoint to -20DegC and left it, the temporary cold fan I set up had been running the whole time.

I went back to it a few hours later and opened the freezer, it showed on the door as be -20DegC, however the ice cubes were melting.
                    I switched the unit off and on again and the temperature on the door was now showing as +8DegC. At this point I just turned the cold fan off and left it. When I got up this morning the Freezer display was showing as -20DegC and the water had frozen again, so it must have kicked in during the night. I switched the unit off and on again to get the real temperature and the freezer was showing as -17DegC.

So I have no idea. The condenser fan is definitely knackered however I think there is another issue on top of that. My suspicion is a thermostat, but then the display showed the temperature increasing when I left the door open but then it is displaying the wrong temperature the majority of the time unless the unit is powered off then on.
                    Sorry for the delay in replying, had a manic few days at work and barely got time to check back on here, so the fan helped to get it down to temp?

Im wondering if you have a faulty board or a faulty defrost sensor? so the sensor is reading alot colder than what it is, forcing it on defrost and then staying on defrost until the probe come back in range? that would explain the comp shutting down unless its a hot gas defrost?

As the condenser fan didnt kick in at all i would say thats failed again (hopefully under warranty with the company who fitted it) but it could also be a faulty board thats causing the issues with the fan as well as the temperature.

its a strange problem and unfortunately im running out of ideas, its the kind of problem you need to see and diagnose while the machine is in front of you.

Comment

Sorry for the delay in replying, had a manic few days at work and barely got time to check back on here, so the fan helped to get it down to temp?

Im wondering if you have a faulty board or a faulty defrost sensor? so the sensor is reading alot colder than what it is, forcing it on defrost and then staying on defrost until the probe come back in range? that would explain the comp shutting down unless its a hot gas defrost?

As the condenser fan didnt kick in at all i would say thats failed again (hopefully under warranty with the company who fitted it) but it could also be a faulty board thats causing the issues with the fan as well as the temperature.

its a strange problem and unfortunately im running out of ideas, its the kind of problem you need to see and diagnose while the machine is in front of you.
                      Don't worry about it, the fridge has gone to the dump.

Comment

Don't worry about it, the fridge has gone to the dump.
                        Ah that's a shame, sorry we couldn't get it working again.

Comment

Cheap Spare Parts

Collapse

Affresh

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X