Qualtex

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hoover performa 1100 washing machine

i was advised to check out this forum and see if anyone could advise me on what to do with my washing machine... its a HOOVER Performa 1100 (AC 110) and ive had it over 5 years..

i just went back to see if it was finished.. and it had stopped working.. the little red light had gone out.. the glass on the door was very hot, the room was a little steamy and there was an odd burnt smell in the air..
    i tried changing the 13 amp fuse but when i replaced it, there was a funny noise and the new fuse was blown too... and the main switch for the sockets flipped off..

i did manage to get my washing out though.. i drained all the water from the machine by unhooking the pipes at the back and after almost a bucket and a half of water drained out the door opened..

got any ideas what's happened?
    just letting it cool down and replacing the fuse didnt help..
    can i fix this myself or am i gonna have to pay out and get a man in to fix it? (and how much is that gonna cost? ie is it worth it)..

i get the feeling its not gonna be worth getting it fixed (its 5 years old now) and i'd be better off getting a new one...

thanks

Re: hoover performa 1100 washing machine

The most likely (and common for this model) thing is that the motor has burnt out. Although you finding the glass very hot may well be something else :?

Without an expert checking it out it is difficult to know at this point I guess. Cost to replace a motor in the region of 120 (inclusive) and that being the worst senario

Martin

Comment

thanks martin..
      when you say "120 (inclusive)" do you mean incluisive of VAT or inclusive of labour charges too?
      do you think the hot glass thing 'could' make the repair cost more expensive?

im trying to figure out whether its gonna be worth my while to get it fixed or just to buy a new one..

any tips on good new washing machines would be fantastic!
      (the cheapest i've found is a tricity bendix aw1000 at 199 but i dont know if its any good!)

thanks again..

Comment

Martin's inclusive means inc labour and VAT, ie what you would expect to pay in total.

The Tricity-Bendix will be basicall the same as a Zanussi, so not a bad machine generally.

Instead of searching for the "cheapest" why not try searching for the "best reliabilty". Cheap appliances are not good value for money on the whole as they tend to be more unreliable so higher repair bills and a shorter life span will cost more in the long term.

Although the machine you mention isn't actually that bad a buy to be honest.

Regards.

Dave.

Comment

thanks dave

the tricity-bendix is at john lewis so i get 2 years g'tee rather than 1.. which is always nice.. i shall take your advice though and have a search for the most reliable machines.. you're right it makes sense.. i dont want to have to do this again anytime soon...

any recommendations for most relaible within a reasonable price range?

thanks both so much for your advice

Comment

ps. the next cheapest is a INDESIT W1121 for 229 but it doesnt seem much better than the Bendix one..

Comment

A Bosch/Siemens (same thing, different wrapper) would be a reasonable choice, or if you can stretch it to 500 go for a Miele.

Dave.

Comment

ive found a BOSCH WFL2066 for under 250 which is a pretty good price.. with a 2 year g'tee too.. is this a good machine? substantially better than the TRICITY BENDIX?

thanks all

Comment

Bosch is generally pretty good. Simple and most parts are affordable if things do go wrong.

Remember though, you gets what you pay for; which is why nobody should ever buy a 200 washer!

Regards,
                  Penguin45.
                  Which bit of "Unplug it" is causing the problem?

Comment

wait.. im getting conflicting advice i think..
                    dave thought the 199 tricity bendix machine was quite a good buy.. and that getting a BOSCH would be stepping up.. this one ive found for under 250 is 299 most places..

id love to go for a 500+ miele machine but i just cant afford it right now and i need to wash my clothes so i cant wait while i save up.. (i wish id known when the old machine was gonna die on me)..

all im asking is.. do you guys think its worth me spending the extra 50 on the BOSCH? is it gonna last me better than the T-B?

thanks

Comment

Guest wrote

all im asking is.. do you guys think its worth me spending the extra 50 on the BOSCH? is it gonna last me better than the T-B?
                      yes

Comment

Originally posted by Anonymous
                        wait.. im getting conflicting advice i think..
                        dave thought the 199 tricity bendix machine was quite a good buy.. and that getting a BOSCH would be stepping up
                        Sorry to be misleading, what I should have said was, the Tricity would be a better buy then most others in that price bracket,ie, for 200 it would be preferable to others at the same price. But yeah, the Bosch is a better buy in my opinion.

Dave.

Comment

i thought i posted this earlier but somehow it didnt appear... hmm...

sorry to keep bugging you guys but...

ive heard something about this BOSCH WFL2066 being cold water only? meaning it doesnt need attaching to the hot water thingy... ?

is that a good thing? +'s and -'s?
                          what do i do with the hot water inlet in that case?

ive also seen ref to an LED that counts down how long is left on the wash on some sites but not on others.. i think this model doesn't have that but im not sure... does anyone know for sure? it'd be a nice bonus but isnt nessesary...

thanks again..

Comment

sorry.. just thought of something else..

do you know anything about the 2 year g'tee with the BOSCH machines? i heard something about having to register for the second year.. ? how does that work and what is it all about? why dont they just give 2nd year the same way as the first?

im just being a bit paranoid i guess.. but its a must that the machine i get has that 2 year g'tee.. the reason i was looking in john lewis to start with was that they give a 2 year g'tee with all their machines... but then found out that BOSCH seem to give 2 years where ever you buy it... or is it not as simple as that.. ?

cheers!

(and that will be my last post, this evening anyway!)

Comment

wallofbeans wrote
                              the reason i was looking in john lewis to start with was that they give a 2 year g'tee with all their machines... but then found out that BOSCH seem to give 2 years where ever you buy it... or is it not as simple as that.. ?
                              John Lewis give one year manufacturers guarantee then second year is a warranty,insurance based.
                              Bosch guarantee is normal guarantee for two years.

Interestingly if purchasing from JL your machine will be covered for 'accidental damage' for the full two years.

In both cases repairs will be carried out by BSH (Bosch Service) or approved independent agents depending on your location.

Sparkey

Comment

Cheap Spare Parts

Collapse

Affresh

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X