X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hoover VHD 814 Door Security LED on - won't start

Hi all

I have a Hoover VisionHD VHD 814.

When you switch on the machine - the door security light is permanently lit. If you select a program and then press the start button- nothing happens and the door doesn't lock.

This happens most of the time - occasionally it will start and you will hear the door lock activate - usually if you move the program selector a few times.

The start / pause button is fine (it will show the pause lights if you hold it down).

Could this be a failing door interlock? Or loose connections somewhere?

Re: Hoover VHD 814 Door Security LED on - won't start

Originally posted by machineage
    Could this be a failing door interlock? Or loose connections somewhere?
    Sounds very much like it is on the blink.

Comment

Thanks Martin

I've ordered one and will update here when I've fitted it

Comment

New door interlock fitted - and it didn't solve the problem

Just to go through the symptoms:

1) Close machine door
        2) Turn dial (rotary encoder) - the machine powers up - and changes temperature / spin speed etc as you turn the dial - so it would appear the encoder is OK? The door security LED remains solidly lit (it should be flashing as I recall)
        3) Once set to a program - the stop LED flashes (normal) - however the door security LED still remains lit
        4) If you press the start button- the stop LED extinguishes - and the relevant time LED illuminates - but nothing happens. Normally when you press start the door security LED (which should be flashing) would light solid and the door lock would engage - then the machine would start filling etc.
        5) The start / pause switch seems to be fine - (see 4 above) - it will pause the machine (four LED's flashing) if you hold it for a few seconds - and un-pause if you press it again
        6) The only way we can get it to start is by rotating the encoder clockwise & anticlockwise a few times quite quickly skipping through programs - then just when you least expect it the door security LED will start flashing then the door will lock and the machine start instantaneously. Once it starts - no problems and it completes the program.

Any ideas anyone :rolls:

Comment

Your symptom #6 would indicate that the problem lies then with the selector switch

Comment

Hi Martin

Thanks for the reply

I wondered why it might be the encoder if it selects (and displays) the programs fine without any issues?

Thanks again

Comment

The selector switch is in effect a potentiometer. Each position has a different and unique ohmic value. The PCB sends a low voltage current to the selector switch, the voltage lowered in relation to the resistance of each position of the switch. Allowing the PCB to select the relevant programme. Hence the importance of the selector switch having a good connection, giving the correct resistance,for the machine to know what to do next. All clever stuff but prone to failure. Typical Hoover. :wink:

Comment

Thanks again Martin

OK - I removed the selector switch for a closer inspection. Upon disassembly it is a selectable resistance switch. A fairly simple affair of surface mount resistors providing the different resistance values - and a couple of wipers. It was quite clean inside - nevertheless I cleaned the wiper tracks & wipers - and the connector contact points on the PCB. I checked with my multimeter upon re-assembly and it all seems to be fine. The SPST microswitch is fine too (I doubt the machine would turn on otherwise!). It displays no problems at all selecting the programs.

No change with the machine

One thing I may have noticed - it takes perhaps longer for the LED's to light upon switching the machine on (selecting a program) - whereas before I'm sure it was quicker to display the LED's for the desired program. May just be my imagination though...

Comment

Have you checked the main PCB for dry joints?

Comment

No - I guess that is the next step then :-/

Are there any notorious areas to check - aside from the connectors?

Comment

Originally posted by machineage
                      Are there any notorious areas to check - aside from the connectors?
                      The high current solder pins of the relay? Swollen capacitor casings?

Comment

OK - thanks Martin

I'll dig it out and sweep over the joints tonight.

Comment

OK - reflowed the majority of joints on the board. To be fair everything looked OK - no obvious dry joints - no visually stressed components (cap's - res's etc) or tracks. Cleaned the PCB after with flux cleaner - and made sure the PCB edge terminals were clean.

Popped it back in - and no change

Comment

Time now to check the other components. If the heater or motor has an earth leak it will send the programmer AWOL. Usually failings of components like the motor, heater, pump and inlet valve will throw up an error code on the display BUT not always. :wink:

Comment

Thanks Martin

Well I just thought - it only started happening shortly after the machine was hooked up to a 4 bar mains supply. Previously it was fed from a gravity supply. Could that have affected anything?

BTW - just to re-iterate - it works fine when it does actually start the program?!

Comment

Cheap Spare Parts

Collapse

Affresh

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X