Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hoover VHD 814 Door Security LED on - won't start

Originally posted by machineage
    Well I just thought - it only started happening shortly after the machine was hooked up to a 4 bar mains supply. Previously it was fed from a gravity supply. Could that have affected anything?
    4 bar is just perfect! (boy how I wish we had 4 bar here. It takes forever to top up my pool up with just 1.5bar)

Originally posted by machine age
    BTW - just to re-iterate - it works fine when it does actually start the program?!
    I appreciate that fact but I'm running out of ideas. Have you tried swearing at it in Italian?????

Comment

Well it's still not working :-(

Has anyone come across this fault before?

Comment

OK - still no change :cry:

How would I check the valves / heater / motor etc for an earth leak? Is it just a case of measuring resistance to earth? If so what values should I be looking at for it to be suspect?

I'm wondering also why it is absolutely fine once it has started and completes the cycles without any issues. Would it still do this if there were earth leak faults?

Comment

Is it just a case of measuring resistance to earth?
          Yes indeed and in the trade we use 500 or 1000 volt (DC) Insulation testers as a multimeter is not an effective tool for this. Ideally a reading greater than 40 megohms is required to pass, any less and the machines electronics can be effected with erroneous results.

A quick Google that explains a little more......

This test is to measure the total resistance of a product’s insulation by applying a voltage of 500V – 1000V. The minimum acceptable value of resistance for a product to pass an insulation resistance test is normally 2 Mega Ohms or 200 Mega Ohms[clarification needed]. The insulation resistance test is not a substitute for the high voltage test. Many standards and safety agencies have specified this is a universal test for all products. This test may also be carried out after every maintenance procedure or repair.

HTH?

Comment

Ahh yes an insulation tester - something I don't posess.

I guess it comes down to my replacing nearly everything in order to 'hopefully' find the faulty component. By that time I could well have paid for another washer.

My thoughts are to dump this one and buy a new one.

Oh well!

Comment

A few last tries before I dump this POS!

Would it do any harm to disconnect the heater / valves etc to see if the door security light starts flashing on power up? I'm thinking if it's an earth leak as suggested - by isolating each component I could eliminate it without using an earth leakage tester?

Comment

A few last tries before I dump this POS!
                My sentiments entirely. :wink:

by isolating each component I could eliminate it without using an earth leakage tester?
                Not a safe practice, dangerous even. You can buy a cheap insulation tester on eBay for 36 quid. Not a bad price to pay for avoiding death by electrocution I figure.

Comment

Oh I wasn't going to hold on to the heater cables - or remove / replace them whilst it was connected to power

I read in another forum an engineer suggesting to unplug the heater cables and then power up in order to determine an earth leakage issue.

Anyway it changed nothing. If I unplug the inlet valve solenoids - no change. Pumps - no change. Then - I unplugged the connector for the thermistor located just above the heating element - and on power up just two of the LEDs flash instantaneously :?:

Could it be this? It seems to have gotten worse after a recent boil service wash.

There is a definite delay on power up before it displays the static door security LED. Would I be correct in saying the machine carries out checks on power up - and if all isn't well it won't allow a program to initiate - and the thermistor could be one of those measured parameters?

Comment

Would I be correct in saying the machine carries out checks on power up - and if all isn't well it won't allow a program to initiate - and the thermistor could be one of those measured parameters?
                    Correct! So disconnect any component and the microprocessor says no!

Comment

OK - I measured the DC resistance of the thermistor out of circuit and it was 39K?. Is that in the realms of acceptability at ambient temperature?

Comment

OK - I measured the DC resistance of the thermistor out of circuit and it was 39K?. Is that in the realms of acceptability at ambient temperature?

25k? would be a more usual reading but I still wouldn't point the finger of blame on the thermistor to be honest. Any thermistor errors would be shown by the spin speed light flashing 5 times (Error code 5 = Faulty thermistor).

Comment

OK - It was suggested on another forum that I check the carbons. One of the most common failures on machines - but I thought as it worked fine when it did kick in that they couldn't be the culprit.

Anyway I removed the motor and upon removing one of the brushes - the carbon was part seized in its holder thanks to the dust throwback.

I loosen it and blew out the carbon dust with some compressed air - et voila - a working machine

I will replace them anyway as they seem a little on the short side - which probably made the seizing more likely as there is less push from the spring.

A really simple repair and cheap repair once found.

One more machine saved from scrapping - for now...!

Comment

Well I'm back!!!

Same problem, door security light permanently lit on power-up.

Last time it was the motor brushes. This time it isn't... The brushes are fine, moving freely in their holders & lots of life left in them. Checked the interlock, its fine. Any suggestions again anyone?!

Comment

If you have a ribbon cable fron the selector pcb that goes down to a pcb r/h/s/rear corner of the machine the cable where it joins to the connector block fails there. I have not checked your model to see if you have this setup. It happened to me once on a Hoover but cannot remember the actual model.

Comment

Affresh

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X