Appliance Spare Parts

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bosch WFF2000 Drum not turning

We have a Bosch WFF2000 Washing Machine purchased in 1996. I'm afraid I can't give the full E-Nr as the door number has become largely obliterated over the years and the back is inaccessible because there is a Dryer stacked on it and they are in a corner with other equipment. Hopefully you will be able to give advice without it.

Completing a wash load today we realised that the laundry wasn't as dry as it should be and the rinsing was poor, suggesting that the drum had stopped turning during the last rinse. I noticed that the Prewash light was blinking but didn't initially realise its significance. During the wash there was more noise than usual. I put some of the washing back in and attempted to spin, but the drum didn't turn (it can however be freely turned by hand with no noise). After this I found the Prewash was flashing in a 4-flash sequence.

I checked the pump, which was clear of blockages, if a little gungy, and repeated the spin test, without result, the pump running, if a little noisily, but no movement from the drum.

What is likely to be the cause with that code? I have to say that the machine has given little trouble over the years, only a door seal needing replacement. Having read other posts it would seem that the brushes might need replacing. However, any repair requiring access to the back will need professional assistance (I used to be able to lift the dryer with help - no more I fear) and completely block the utility room. Would I do better to go for a new machine (or machines - since the dryer probably wouldn't fit over a new washer)?

What would be a preferred replacement?

Thanks for any guidance.

brushes in the motor is my first thought . common fault done a set today on a bosch machine

Dave

Comment

Thank you. Is it worthwhile to make a substantial investment to keep a 22-year-old machine that cost 499 alive? Substantial in the sense that, although the brushes may be a modest cost (but best to get the best), the professional help needed to get to the back of the machine even to check the data plate to order the right ones may start to approach the cost of a new machine, see penultimate para above. How much life on-going might I expect from the machine?

Comment

don't need to take the back off

most likely these https://shop.ukwhitegoods.co.uk/bs12...carbon-brushes

can never be 100% certain but its about 99%

if you want to be certain tilt machine and post a picture of the motor which is at the bottom ( some bosch machine have an enclosed base so you cant see the motor)

Dave

Comment

Chances are very good that the motor brushes are worn out. There were3 uk models and they will end as WFF2000/01, or /11 or /12 and they all use Bosch part number 154740 brushes about 34 quid as genuine parts. Do not use the cheap pattern 4 quid ones off Ebay or from elsewhere as those are nowhere the same quality. The machine will have to be pulled out to remove the large rear panel and there is no getting away from that sadly. Tipping the machine to look underneath is dangerous and pointlless as any of these 3 versions have a metal base where you will see naff all.
          These were very high quality machines ( unlike Bosch now ) The problem is how much to replace them and make sure you pay for what you want i.e. do not pay for el cheapo brushes at the genuine price....been in the trade 35 years so I know what goes on only too well. Another thought is the drum spider is 22 years old ( obsolete ) and so are the bearings 22 years old ( still available ) so you could end up throwing your spons away should they soon fail and at 22 years old neither will be improving with age.. A crystal ball job that one.

Comment

Thanks for that encouraging response. By illuminating the door obliquely it is likely that the number is WFF2000GB/01, as you suggest. Having looked at some videos, I am beginning to think I may be able to do the job myself with the help of my son. It is worth having a go in the hope that brushes are the answer. I imagine I would hear bearing noise when turning the drum. Do worn or u/s brushes damage the commutator?
            Is the motor accessible through the rear panel on this model? I notice that some require side access and even through the bottom. Although suggested somewhere that one can change the brushes with the motor in situ, I imagine it is easier with it out on a bench.
            I take your point about sourcing genuine Bosch 154740 brushes at a genuine price. I assume that if I buy from the shop on this site I can be assured they are genuine, although they don't seem to show part numbers.

Comment

the brushes I highlighted above are not the gen brush but if you type the part number in the search box they are there

access has to be from underneath as removing the motor is a bit of a job. you could lay the machine on its side if it would help but if you do the lay it with the soap draw nearest the floor so no water can get at the panel

you will also need a plastic zip clip to replace the motor cover as the existing one has to be broken

Dave

Comment

Ignore my query about sourcing the brushes, I've ordered directly from Bosch. Total cost 30.16 (carriage free).

Comment

when you remove the old brush take careful note which way the slope on the end of the brush is facing as they can be put in 2 ways and only 1 is correct

Dave

Comment

Thanks for the extra info Dave. I posted my last before I noticed yours.(I had two pages open)

Comment

In addition to brushes I have also ordered a replacement belt, in case it turns out to have broken or be on its last legs. It occurs to me to wonder if the increased tension from a new unstretched belt could bring on early failure in the very old bearings.

Comment

Job done, thanks for the guidance. I found a selection of YouTube videos that covered my actual machine. We didn't need to unstack the machines. The brushes were reduce to 10mm, so ready for a change. Two zip ties were needed to secure the cable loom, but the motor cover just hooks in place.

Comment

Affresh

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X