Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ise5

Hello
    I bought an ISE5 washing machine in 2008 and it has lived up to expectations, needing attention on only a couple of occasions when it has been economic and easy to repair. I've had nearly 12 years use out of it and am certainly not complaining at that and am only sorry to now be having to consign it to the tip, and to be unable to buy another.
    Over the past few months, I was starting to smell rubber burning at the end of the cycle, and eventually realised that the door gasket was eroding. I ordered the appropriate part, but the engineer has found that the drum is out of alignment, possibly caused by a particularly heavy load, maybe something like trainers (I don't recall washing anything like this, our washing machine use is fairly light now my children are away from home). However, there is no obvious damage, and I am wondering what to do next. He has fitted the new gasket, but the drum will hardly move at all, clearly unusable. If there is anything that can be done?
    Last edited by electrofix; 12-04-19, 08:53 AM.

it sounds like the drum spider may have failed which is part of the inner drum

not sure if the part can be sourced anymore but there are a couple of members on here that have some stock for ISE machines

if it is the spider (which would need to be confirmed) it would the inner drum would have to be removed meaning a complete strip down of the machine

Dave

ise5.jpg
    Last edited by electrofix; 12-04-19, 08:53 AM.

Comment

Occasionally the drum seal could foul on the drum even if the drum spider was ok. Could never be certain if the inner drum had distorted slightly or drum shaft had some end to end wear allowing the drum to move forward ever so slightly. I have fitted new seals in the past and had difficulty getting them clear of the drum, even tried levering the inner drum edge to clear the seal without much success. The first thing to do would be to remove the new seal and then set the machine to a spin cycle with a few towels in it. If it runs smoothly like this then that would suggest the drum spider is intact, if it is noisy or obviously out of line then it would suggest the spider has failed. Not really an economic repair at this age.

NB: Even though the diagram shows a detached spider it was never made available as a separate part, complete inner drum and spider assembly only, always annoyed me because it unbolts so easily.
      Last edited by iadom; 12-04-19, 12:06 PM.
      Nothing really matters much, and hardly anything really matters at all.

Comment

Hello, and thank you for your replies. Now the question is, is there another brand with a similar ethos? I think there was a recent mention in the press about regulation to force manufacturers to make machines with more repairability, I expect that is years away. I don't mind paying more if I can be reasonably sure I will not be scrapping it before 5 years are up. I hear Miele are hard and expensive to repair. Is Bosch my best bet, or is there another manufacturer I should look at?

I'm glad your website is still running. It is a brilliant resource.

Comment

if you want top of the range quality look at Miele

you could look at this discussion

https://www.ukwhitegoods.co.uk/forum...07-which-miele

the problem with Bosh these days is they are getting patchy on build quality. if you want budget machine at a not too silly price look at the Bosch WAN range. from what we can see at the moment they still use the same reliable drum unit they have for years.

Dave
          Last edited by electrofix; 13-04-19, 09:58 AM.

Comment

Thanks, everyone

I have ordered a Bosch WAN28201GB. It has good reviews and one of the reviewers says it still has the split drum. If it lasts as long as my ISE5 (nearly 12 years) I shall be happy.

Comment

Cheap Spare Parts

Collapse

Affresh

Collapse
            Working...
            X