Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Hotpoint washer dryer thud noise during drying cycle

Hi,

Purchased a new Hotpoint Ultima RD 966 JGD washer/dryer last week to replace a 9 year old Aquarius WDL540 washer dryer. During the drying cycle the machine makes a loudish clonk/thud/suction noise every 15 seconds or so. Initially I thought it was water hammer and the pipes knocking. I've fitted a hammer arrester to the back of the machine but it hasn't really made any noticeable difference which makes me believe its the pump itself making the noise when drawing in small amounts of water during drying? rather than water pipe hammer. A little internet research suggests its a common thing with latest Hotpoints/Indesits with references to owners saying the machine is faulty to Hotpoint saying the noise is normal (similar thread on here).

Does anyone have any info on this? There's one or two videos on YouTube of Indesits making the same sound as mine although much worse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8uZI7FC1ZY

I've had Hotpoint washer/dryers for over 25 years and never had this before on the drying cycle. My old machine was quiet. Just had the machine on the drying cycle for an hour and the noise starts to grate after a while, towels etc are getting dry, its just the thud noise it makes.

Thanks,

Tim.
    Last edited by Chester65; 17-04-19, 11:32 AM.

• electrofix
    replied
    the more people who complain the more likely they are to find a fix

since you only bought it last week you could think about throwing it back at currys. not sure of the returns policy but unacceptable noise must be in there somewhere

Dave

Leave a comment:

• Chester65
    replied
    Originally posted by electrofix View Post
    depends when your machine was built. Hotpoint did a mod to reduce the noise and this was introduced on models after june 18.

noise is caused by valve opening and closing and it was modified to make the min opening time 4 sec. so if your noise is every 4 secs then its probably had the mod and its normal ( but annoying)

Dave
    Thanks for your response Dave. Machine was purchased from Currys last week, is there any way of finding out the build date? I can't imagine it would be older than June 2018. I would say the noise occurs every 20 seconds or so haven't timed it :-) Strangely if you stand in front of the machine the noise isn't that bad at all, definately not as bad in the the YouTube example, however if you go into another room in the house you can hear this annoying thud. If I look at the water inlet pipe it doesn;t really shake or move when the noise occurs. I'm just contemplating whether to contact Hotpoint but would rather establish first if the noise is deemed normal rather than wasting effort and time getting someone out to look at it.

Tim.

Leave a comment:

• electrofix
    replied
    depends when your machine was built. Hotpoint did a mod to reduce the noise and this was introduced on models after june 18.

noise is caused by valve opening and closing and it was modified to make the min opening time 4 sec. so if your noise is every 4 secs then its probably had the mod and its normal ( but annoying)

Dave

Leave a comment:

Affresh

Collapse
Working...
X