Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Remaining smells need something stronger than Ariel, soda crystals or citric acid

Collapse

Qualtex

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remaining smells need something stronger than Ariel, soda crystals or citric acid

I have tried very many maintenance washes on my smelly Zanussi (ZWG 7140P) washing machine and it's time for something stronger.

Over the last few months I have done about 8 washes using Arial on max temperature with no load.
    In addition I did half a dozen washes of 500g soda cystals on max temperature.
    Also several washes using 250g citric acid on max temp.

The remaining smell isn't terrible but it comes back quickly if the machine is unused for a week or so. I suspect there may be some mould left in hard to access corners.

---

Can I safely use household bleach in my machine?

What about household disinfectant?

Any suggestion about quantitiy and temperature?

----

Thank you very much!
    Last edited by kwatt; 18-04-19, 03:57 PM.

It is all explained in great depth here: Smelly Washing Machines

You can use bleach in it.

Disinfectant I wouldn't, you don't know what will (if anything) react with it.

Follow the advice found in the article for the last bit.

K.
    "Sometimes you get the best light from a burning bridge" Don Henley

Cheap appliance spare parts in our store ? Find an appliance repair company here

Comment

Using disinfectant will not do any good, the Zanussi machines in particular do have a lot of small nooks and crannies that even the very best of cleaners fail to shift for long.

You could try Affresh it's the best product we have found.
      Nothing really matters much, and hardly anything really matters at all.

Comment

Originally posted by kwatt View Post
        It is all explained in great depth here: Smelly Washing Machines

You can use bleach in it.

Disinfectant I wouldn't, you don't know what will (if anything) react with it.

Follow the advice found in the article for the last bit.

K.
        I saw that page before I started trying the various cleaners and decided on citric acid and soda crystals alternately.

There is a bit at the end of that page which says "i advise my customers to soak overnight, 2 cups of bleach, add to machine, run machine to fill with water and switch off. leave overnight and drain. first wash may be affected by the leftover bleach so take care."However another page on the Net says to use only 60ml bleach. There's a big difference between two cups (approx 450ml) and 60 ml! I don't want bleach to rust up part of the machine or perish seals!

A friend once used household bleach and said it foamed out of the machine. I wonder if she used thick bleach with gummy ingredients but she should have used thin bleach?

Is there any advice on the type and qualtity of bleach I should use?

Last edited by BarryM; 19-04-19, 10:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by iadom View Post
          Using disinfectant will not do any good, the Zanussi machines in particular do have a lot of small nooks and crannies that even the very best of cleaners fail to shift for long.

You could try Affresh it's the best product we have found.
          I am not sure Affesh is going to be much of a help after what I have tried. The ingredients say it is mostly citric acid (35%) and sodium bicarbonate (45%). I used a huge amount of citric acid (250g each time) and even more sodium carbonate (soda crystals) which is said to be a better cleaner than Affresh's sodium bicarbonate. Nor am I sure how an acid and an alakaline will preserve their individual properties when mixed like that into a single product. The other Affresh ingredient 8% is just an ordinary detergent (sodium lauryl sulfate).

I figured I should just zap the mould now as much as possible. Perhaps in those nooks and crannies you mention.

Last edited by BarryM; 19-04-19, 10:48 AM.

Comment

When they get really bad, the only way is to strip it down and clean it out.

Affresh contains a bunch of enzymes and such to break down the biological residues which are the cause of these issues, these work much more than the rest of the stuff in it when it's correctly used. That breaks down the residues and the idea is it falls off, taken away in the waste. But, even using that I've seen people have to use that multiple times when it's bad. It's not perfect but, the best solution we've come across.

The other thing to note is that whilst you can maintain it and keep it at bay, once it gets a hold you'll never get rid of it entirely, it's not possible once the growth of bacteria is there.

Old wives tales about citric acid and bleach cleaning them are, to a degree, true but those are cleaning materials that are not aimed and not really appropriate for the inside of a washing machine so will all too often not work, though they may mask the smell giving the illusion that it works or marginally improve things for a time but, they are not a solution. Those solutions are aimed more where you've got the undiluted direct application and good old elbow grease as the mechanical action which obviously, inside a washing machine is not possible unless you strip it down per the previous comment.

The comment you picked up on is not published by UK Whitegoods, it is an unmoderated user comment, therefore, should be taken with a large pinch of salt as well as the bleach.

Bleach only sterilises and it's not so good in this application (read, doesn't work) despite all the internet magical cures you see, often with other unicorns and rainbows telling people a bunch of utter rubbish.

That article explains the cause and how to cure it if it is possible to do so and honestly, I don't get involved in discussion much beyond that as if people don't want to listen or make stuff up believing some of the garbage I've seen on the net then I'm wasting my time. That might sound harsh but, after doing this for countless years you do tend to get a bit weary of it all.

K.
            Last edited by kwatt; 19-04-19, 02:14 PM.
            "Sometimes you get the best light from a burning bridge" Don Henley

Cheap appliance spare parts in our store ? Find an appliance repair company here

Comment

The machine is definitely heating the water?
              "There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper."
              --John Ruskin

Comment

I would try the following. Buy a 250cc box of Aqua softna descaling crystals and pop the contents in the main wash compartment draw. Then over the crystals pour 3 cap fulls of Flash liquid lemon cleaner. Then quickly set on a synthetics 60 wash, when it has finished filling add via soap draw 4 lts of water to raise the water level. Been doing this on my 22 year old Hotpoint every 10 weeks and it works a treat.

Comment

Cheap Spare Parts

Collapse

Affresh

Collapse
                Working...
                X