Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hotpoint WMD 740 washer- leaking from hopper.

Collapse

Qualtex

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hotpoint WMD 740 washer- leaking from hopper.

Hi all, have a really annoying fault on a ten year old Hotpoint WMD 740. No history. It is leaking from the water hopper when filling on the rinse cycle, and looking at the floor behind it has been for some time. I've replaced the hopper cover as a couple of the clips seemed a bit dodgy, but to no effect. When it fills on the wash cycle there is no problem, just on the rinse. The water level in the hopper during filling appears to be well below the "lip" at the front, but nevertheless it's finding its way out. The rubber fill hose is fine, there are no cracks anywhere, and the water pressure here is very average. I'm totally baffled as to why this should be happening, and a seemingly simple problem has proved to be anything but!

Any help greatly appreciated......Cheers.

You have been very lucky not to see this before. A well documented and longstanding problem on the Indesit designed detergent drawer in the whole Hotpoint model range for quite some years. A very common fault TBH. The whole drawer and hopper assembly went through several modifications before they finally sorted it. At the age your machine is it wouldn't justify the expense of all the parts needed to cure it. One thing you can try is to adjust the front feet to give the machine a slight backward tilt. It will not affect the running of the machine but can sometimes stop the dribbling.
    Last edited by iadom; 27-06-19, 08:55 PM.
    Nothing really matters much, and hardly anything really matters at all.

Comment

Hi. Well I inherited the machine with the "new" house three years ago, and the floor slopes towards the back so it's only now I've come to relay the floor in the utility that the problem has become apparent. Lord knows where the water has been going all these years, trying not to worry about that..... Good (I think) to hear that it's a well known problem, as my fabled talent for being able to fix anything under the sun was being called into question by SWMBO. Time for a new one then. Thanks very much for the advice, you've saved me even more futile head scratching and puzzlement. Cheers!

Comment

HI again, just for info- I identified the fabric softener receptacle as the most likely cause of the problem, as it seems to be a very poor design. I discarded the blue plastic top and cut away the dividing wall between it and the adjacent chamber so that any water landing in the softener chamber flows immediately into its neighbour. We've just completed three full wash and rinse cycles without any leakage so I think I'm on the right track. No good for anyone who uses fabric softener of course but we do not. Anyway it will do as a workaround while we look for another machine. Cheers!

Comment

Cheap Spare Parts

Collapse

Affresh

Collapse
        Working...
        X