Qualtex

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hoover - drum dropped/sagging

Mrs B washed a duvet in our Hoover 'Dynamic Next' washing machine - model DXC E48AW3/1-80 ...
    We noticed afterwards that the glass in the door had cracked - but didn't, at the time, notice any other problems.
    I bought and fitted a replacement glass but we then realised that the drum appears to have dropped relative to the door. I have checked the two upper springs (both still attached OK), and the two lower shocks (both seem sound and are firmly attached).
    So why is the drum sagging?
    Could the upper springs have been stretched? what should they look like when they are in position and under basic tension (i.e. no clothes or water in the drum) - should they be stretched/opened up at all or should the coils be closed up tight? I guess it would be an 'easy' job to replace the springs if that's all it is ...
    Any help or advice (apart from the obvious 'don't put a duvet in the washing machine'!) would be welcomed - thanks.

Have a read at this:

https://www.ukwhitegoods.co.uk/help/...ine-suspension

The info there will probably point you in the right direction.

K.
    "Sometimes you get the best light from a burning bridge" Don Henley

Cheap appliance spare parts in our store ? Find an appliance repair company here

Comment

Thanks for the pointer - on reading the article it sounds like the springs don't suspend the drum; whilst they have a role in centering the drum it sounds more like it's the case that the drum is held up (at the right height) by the dampers - do I understand that correctly?
      So, if the drum has dropped/sagged should I look first at replacing the dampers?
      UPDATE As I said in the OP, the springs look like they've opened a little bit under tension. I removed the concrete stabilising block but, even with drum unloaded, it remained in its sagging position. Does this point at the dampers not being able to push it up enough anymore?
      Thanks again - S

Comment

looking at the diagrams I would say the dampers only damp and have no part in suspending the drum

if you want to check if the springs have stretched then remove them and look at them but it rarely happens as most times they just snap . if the coils don't look stretched then they are ok

assume you are taking about the whole outer drum and the inner drum is not out of line inside the outer drum

Dave
        Last edited by electrofix; 07-07-19, 08:58 AM.

Comment

Thanks for that Dave - as above, they have 'some' stretch on them when they are still in place but unloaded (concrete block removed). Guess it's a cheap fix to replace both springs just to eliminate it as a possible cause.

Comment

spring

https://shop.hoover.co.uk/gb_en/supp...ring-6757.html

if your spring coils look like this when you take them off then they have not stretched

Dave

Comment

Thanks again Dave - just re-read your comment regarding inner and outer drums ... I think they're both still aligned - but how do I check? Certainly the inner has dropped and is pulling the door seal down ...
              The spider and outer seem ok (when viewed from the rear with the access panel removed) and I presume they're all still fastened together as they should be ... certainly all seem to turn together ok.

Comment

ok so it is distorting the door seal then that sounds like a suspension problem. if the inner drum was at fault the door seal would be ok as only the inner drum would have dropped

the link above are the correct springs for your model

Dave

Comment

That's really helpful - thanks.
                  So, I really need to pop a spring off to check if it's still tight or slightly stretched, don't I ... maybe got time to do that now, before lunch (and before cutting the hedge!) ;-)
                  BTW - where did you find the 'diagrams' that you referred to?

Comment

I have access to the hoover / candy tech library

only available to professional engineers

Dave

Comment

Thanks also for the link to the correct replacement springs at the Hoover store ...

Comment

Cheap Spare Parts

Collapse

Affresh

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X