Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

a tale of two appliances, am i going mad? could it be a power spike?

Collapse

Qualtex

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a tale of two appliances, am i going mad? could it be a power spike?

ok been away on holiday for nearly 4 weeks. came home turned on Miele W5740 washing machine and it came on started its program, with an empty drum to give it a clean, then the whole thing went dead. so waited turned on started then same thing dead no error no lights. so unplugged left for about 4 hrs then tried again. this time it may have done a full cycle as we went out and on return there was no water inside. so tried again with clothes the next day few minutes in dead again.

the missus then hand washed the clothes and tried to use the spin program, there was a knock and then apparently a whizzing sound and technical fault in the display. sounds like the belt has broken. ive phoned Miele as we have a 10 year warranty on it and they say they cant send an engineer until the 27th. this has pissed me off big time, basically 12 days to have an engineers visit.

anyway thought that would be the end of the weirdness. we then tried to dry some clothes in our Siemens Heat Pump dryer, and yep same problem with it working for a while then cutting out. I put a watt meter on it and it seems the supply is constant so not an issue with a breaker not quite tripping. again I have to turn off the appliance for a while then try again but it will not run a full drying cycle.

now im pretty smart when it comes to electronic and electrical devices as ive been an electrical engineer and it tech. so to me it seems like while we were away there has been a lightening hit or spike that's raosted the appliances pcb's?

can I claim through my house contents? as one appliance I could put down to bad luck but 2?

I would still try a different socket just to be certain before I say its the machines

Dave

Comment

I tried turning off one of the breakers that feeds part of the kitchen utility and the tumble dryer socket went dead, but the washing machine one was still powered. so im guessing there obviously fed from different circuits. I wonder if a local lightening strike hit the ground near by as both appliances have there backs to copper water and heating pipework, and it appears no other stuff was affected, though most of the other stuff that was left plugged in is fed by a surge protected strip or a ups in the case of the broadband router and server.

Comment

also if it was a strike maybe that's what has caused the belt to snap, maybe due to burning?

Comment

or could it be the damp weather causing the pcbs to play up?

Comment

if you got enough lightning to snap a belt then chances u would not have a roof either

fault does sound weird. assume you live on an estate or the like and not in the middle of a field

even if the copper pipes became live then the machine case would act as a faraday cage protecting the electronics.

weird fault especially on 2 appliances on 2 separate ring mains

Dave

Comment

Yes very weird. We live on the edge of a small village and also have 4kwh of solar on the roof which I wonder if it attracts lightening. But the solar seems ok. Iíve had similar issues at work with pcís that will work longer if left off longer, but which ultimately have a power issue.

Comment

both units will have similar switch mode power supplies and the chips if damaged can do this sort of thing

Dave

Comment

tried the dryer today after leaving it off for about 18 hours. it ran a cool cycle for an hour ok, but noticed the compressor cooling fan that normally only comes on occasionally was running constantly. anyway tried a normal dry cycle and same the fan started running from the start of the programme it ran for about 1 hour then cut out. what I did notice was the grid voltage when it was running was about 236vac, when it cut out it was about 244vac. its almost as if the spike has weakened the psu board.

Comment

all wires have resistance as you know so pulling current will lower the voltage although 8 volts on a low power drier sounds a bit much. see what happens with an electric kettle

Dave

Comment

sorry my meaning was that the grid voltage changed during the test not that the dryer pulled the grid low.

Comment

ah I see external power fluctuations

Dave

Comment

right next hurdle. phonned insurance and they are saying i need an electricians report to say what happened. at my cost. is this right? if so who can i ask? have you come accross this before?

Comment

problem is proving it. as an electrician how can he say what caused it. He can say its likely but no one can prove it

as for the report if you can get someone to write a favourable report that would help the claim its possible they would pay for it. if the report did not form a conclusion and there was no claim because of it then you pay

since appliances are involved you could have a word with a local appliance engineer.

you could look in the engineer search of this forum and ring him/her explain what happens and see if the come to the same conclusion

Dave

Comment

thanks for the help everyone. ill have a look in that section.

Comment

Cheap Spare Parts

Collapse

Affresh

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X