Qualtex

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JLWM 1203 won't complete cycle - error E52

My JLWM1203 machine keeps failing to complete the washing cycle. For example doing a cotton wash at 40C (which should take 2 hours) everything seems fine until after about 1hr20min after it has drained. It starts to speed up as though for a spin then stops. It does this a few more times and then nothing happens and after a bit longer the LCD display dims down and displays the original washing time (2.00). The error given is E52.
    I have replaced the brushes but it has made no difference. I've checked the resistance of the tacho generator and it is within limits - it also displays the correct drum speed during testing. In fact it does all the tests correctly and there is no leakage current from the motor.

Interestingly if I select the rinse cycle after the machine has stopped as above with the washing load still in, it completes this including full spin without any problems at all. So I do have a work around but it is a pain and I just wondered if anyone had any suggestions as to what the problem might be
    Looking at the error in the service manual it says it will try to do something 5 times before generating the error - and that seems to be what is happened with my machine. A similar problem occurs in the synthetics wash setting but only with a full load.

It's an old machine so I don't really want to fork out a couple of hundred quid to get it fixed (I'm guessing new board) but wondered whether a dodgy capacitor in the board could cause these symptoms? (They look ok on visual inspection but I know that doesn't necessarily mean they are ok).

Any suggestions gratefully appreciated.

interesting that you see the fault just after the machine drains. At this point this point the water leaves the drum and the drum rides higher because of the reduction in weight. is it possible you have a broken wire in the motor harness that makes and breaks with drum position

Dave

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion Dave - I've now checked the wiring harness and there are definitely no loose/broken wires. It seems to be when it is trying to do a spin after a drain before starting the rinse part of the program that the problem arises. Is there a sensor that detects the load the motor is having to produce to start the spin? - if so it might be that which is faulty? - if so is it part of the main circuit board? It still weird that the standalone rinse cycle works fine after the main wash cycle has failed to complete.

Comment

did you give the wires a hard tug as any break will be inside the insulation where you cant see it and likely to be where the harness comes out of a clip.

I don't think motor current is detected but they do monitor motor speed to detect out of balance loads

Dave

Comment

Hi, sorry to take so long to get back to you but I finally had the time to do the testing as you suggested & there were no breaks. Strangely for the next couple of days it worked fine and then today with a full synthetics 60C load scheduled to take1'50" with 43 mins to go it drained and then stopped immediately when it tried to do a spin - I would say it managed half to one second before stopping. It tried again after a pause a couple of times and then seemed to progress to the next rinse/drain stage and then again it stopped after attempting a spin and this time gave up for good with an E52 error. Again by choosing the rinse cycle I was able to finish off the wash with no problems.
          It is really strange and I'm really reluctant to discard what is otherwise a fully functional (if quite old) machine.

Comment

the problem now is for here on in you can only speculate

faulty motor triac not had them do this but it is possible
            motor relays. Dirty contacts in the relays would make them spark which could make the motor overspeed

both of these fault are a change it and see fault and require unsoldering and soldering components on the pcb and it may not fix it. on the plus side the components are cheap

have you found the connector where the motor wire connects to the board and pulled it off and on a few times to make sure its not a bad connection. the tacho feedback voltage is only low and it does not take a lot to interfere with it

Dave

Comment

Hi Dave yes I removed the connector when testing the lead continuity. The tacho generator appears to be giving the correct readout when using the built in test.
              I don't think the motor is overspeeding - it never gets up to speed when attempting a spin.
              I think you are right a trial and error remove and replace components is the way forward. Given the age of the machine I might start with the capacitors.
              Thanks for your suggestions.

Comment

Cheap Spare Parts

Collapse

Affresh

Collapse
              Working...
              X