Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F&P GW601 smartdrive washer error code + valve advice pl

Hi.

I have an aprox 15yr old GW601. Series 2 I think? Says "Kelvinator 2" on the front panel?

I have two problems that I would appreciate someones advice with.

1. The Hot water valve only dribbles hot water into the bowl. I have been doing cold washes OK. Before I buy a replacement valve, can I easily swap the hot and cold valves to test if the fault is with the valve or controller? I believe the hot and cold are different types Digital vs Proportional? are the valves just push fit or are they supposed to be threaded?

2. Today the machine started beeping continuously and had the Short wash and spin LEDS on. Does this mean anything? The bowl was half full of water. By powering off and on, I got the spin cycle to work and drain the bowl. The washing however was covered in Gunge as if it hadn't been rinsed properly. I put the machine through another full cycle, and found that each time the bowl was to be emptied, the pump would partially empty the bowl and stop. the machine just sat there doing nothing. I managed to coax it into life again with a few power resets and get the wash completed. I have checked the error code using the "sticky" on this forum, and although the machine doesn't seem to do the "two beeps" mentioned, I followed the phase1/2 instructions and got error code 37.
    From other posts I believe that this is related to the pump. also the pump motor has some rust on the laminations and they get hot pretty quickly.

The pump spins freely and when running pumps plenty of water.

Can someone confirm what error code 37 is, and what the original Short wash and spin leds with the beeping mean?

Edit 1/12/08 I have now removed the pump. It tests as 30ohms, and draws 1.2 amps under no load and the windings and laminations get warm pretty quickly so I think it's naffed. Also I've just thried checking the voltage across the two water valves, but get nothing. Is this because the washer has detected the pump motor is missing (open circuit)? How do I force the valves on from the diagnostics?

Edit2. I've now figured out from other posts how to force the solenoids on. 12V is there, so looks like solenoid is naffed as well.

Well It took some time, but looks like I've just about found all the info that I need from the Forum.

Pitty that F&P are so secretive about the diagnostics.

Anyone know a cheap source of parts in NZ? looks like about $85 for the motor and $30 for the solenoid. Is it worth mucking about with secondhand parts?

I'm glad I found this forum and appreciate any advice you can give.
    Happy new year all.

Regards, Allen

Re: F&P GW601 smartdrive washer error code + valve advic

Hi.

I'm now trying to remove the assembly that has the solenoid valves on it.
    I have removed the screws from the grey plastic that holds the solenoids in place, removed the large screw from the middle of the grey plastic box that the solenoids fit in, removed the large screw holding the blue electronics module in place, and removed the screw holding the spray nozzle in place. The valve mechanism still doesn't want to lift out. I don't want to force anything. Do I have to further detach the spray nozzle some how?

Can someone please explain how to get the solenoids out?
    GW601

Thanks.

Allen.

Comment

Hi. GW601 now fixed thanks to a few hours trawling this site.

Some notes that may help others.

This is a 17yr old GW601 (labelled Kelvinator 2 on the control panel)

pump motor resistance should be about 32ohm. draws aprox 430ma on the bench with no load.

Getting the solenoid housing out is fairly simple process once you know how.
      1. remove control panel with two screws at back.
      2. remove two screws between the water inlets and lift out grey plastic clamp holding valves.
      3. remove single screw from centre of grey plastic solenoid housing.
      4. remove single large screw from bottom edge of blue electrinics module.
      5. apply gentle upwards pressure to the solenoid housing and lift combined solenoid/electronics module off the rubber spray hose inlet. (I read on another post that you had to lift the top of the machine off and undo a screw hoilding the spray nozzle in place, but that was not neccassary on my machine.). If it's easier, you can seperate the electronics from the solenoid housing. It is a press fit.
      6. remove and replace solenoid. It is a tight press fit.

The diagnostic buttons for this model are "Washtemp down" and "Power".
      From there the washtemp up & down buttons test the valves, or you can progress to the error code display by following the sticky at the beginning of this forum.

It took me a while to find all this info, so hopefully in helps someone else.

I got my replacement pump at Solenoid from Mason appliances service centre in New Plymouth. $110 for pump and solenoid.

Be aware! When I asked about warrantee on the parts, he said that F&P policy is that they will not warantee the parts unless fitted by an authorised service tech. I'm sure that the consumer guarentee act gives some protection though. As it happens the first replacement pump that I got was faulty (20 ohm and drew 4.3 amps and got hot quick.) I took it back the same day and they gave me another that is ok. If you have a multimeter, test the pump on the bench as soon as you get it home.

Regards, Allen.

Comment

Hi Allen,

Well, your post has certainly made my day. Thanks mate! Your instructions for replacement of the inlet valve on my GW601 were absolutely perfect and the whole thing became so simple to do.

For anyone in Melbourne Australia, I got the 12v proportional cold water inlet valve 426143 from Appliance Spares Warehouse in Murrumbeena for $50. They seem to have a great range of spare parts and price was cheaper than eBay.

Thanks also to this entire community. From diagnostic codes to service manuals to step by step parts removal, this experience has been a delight. I even taught my 11 year old daughter about counting in base 2 (binary) to get the diagnosis code 00100101=37 from the 8 lights!

Machine is now running perfectly and inlet valve is working a treat.

My only query now is how to reset the diagnostic code as it is still showing code 37 ? There's no way the water level is stagnant for 3 minutes upon bowl fill so the code shouldn't be relevant any more.

Thanks again to everyone. I hope to be able to contribute something positive myself to this great forum in the future.

Cheers,

Andy

Comment

Hi Allen. I too have a gw601 washer with stuck hot water solenoid. Tried to get it out today as wanted to replace but unsure of the blue bit hat comes out of the side of the solnoid . There is a wee screw on the side, do I undo that as well as the big screw on blue cover????? Also would you have to buy both solenoid as they are on the one bracket? Any help would be appreciated as I've put it back together again frustrated I couldn't get it out..... I love this washer, oldies are the best. Just using cold wash all the time though.
          thanks to anyone who reads and answers.

Comment

Originally posted by AllenG View Post

Hi. GW601 now fixed thanks to a few hours trawling this site.

Some notes that may help others.

This is a 17yr old GW601 (labelled Kelvinator 2 on the control panel)

pump motor resistance should be about 32ohm. draws aprox 430ma on the bench with no load.

Getting the solenoid housing out is fairly simple process once you know how.
            1. remove control panel with two screws at back.
            2. remove two screws between the water inlets and lift out grey plastic clamp holding valves.
            3. remove single screw from centre of grey plastic solenoid housing.
            4. remove single large screw from bottom edge of blue electrinics module.
            5. apply gentle upwards pressure to the solenoid housing and lift combined solenoid/electronics module off the rubber spray hose inlet. (I read on another post that you had to lift the top of the machine off and undo a screw hoilding the spray nozzle in place, but that was not neccassary on my machine.). If it's easier, you can seperate the electronics from the solenoid housing. It is a press fit.
            6. remove and replace solenoid. It is a tight press fit.

The diagnostic buttons for this model are "Washtemp down" and "Power".
            From there the washtemp up & down buttons test the valves, or you can progress to the error code display by following the sticky at the beginning of this forum.

It took me a while to find all this info, so hopefully in helps someone else.

I got my replacement pump at Solenoid from Mason appliances service centre in New Plymouth. $110 for pump and solenoid.

Be aware! When I asked about warrantee on the parts, he said that F&P policy is that they will not warantee the parts unless fitted by an authorised service tech. I'm sure that the consumer guarentee act gives some protection though. As it happens the first replacement pump that I got was faulty (20 ohm and drew 4.3 amps and got hot quick.) I took it back the same day and they gave me another that is ok. If you have a multimeter, test the pump on the bench as soon as you get it home.

Regards, Allen.
            Oops didn't mean quote. Can you help and read my notes . Thanks

Comment

I could send a picture maybe?....

Comment

just in case anyone else reads this I found the service manuals here

https://www.manualslib.com/brand/fis.../washer.html#S

scroll down to smartdrive

Dave

Comment

Cheap Spare Parts

Collapse

Affresh

Collapse
                Working...
                X