Qualtex

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proper adhesive for replacing EuroKera (ceramic?) top

I shattered my EuroKera (glass? or ceramic?) top. I have found a source for a suitable replacement, and hope to install it myself after ordering and receiving it. But what is a proper adhesive? Removing the shards of the old top revealed that a silver, rubbery, silicone-like adhesive had been used for the original installation. I assume whatever I use must meet some standards for heat resistance. Can anyone make any recommendations? Many thanks for any advice.

Re: Proper adhesive for replacing EuroKera (ceramic?) top

Hi halfwatt

the hob top should come complete with the side fixings and sealed already.please be aware tht this repair will require to have the disconnected from the mains.

bryan
    http://www.ffrservices.co.uk http://www.pandoserviceuk.co.uk

Comment

Hello Bryan,

Thank you for such a fast reply, but I'm sorry to say I do not understand what you mean. I am guessing that you thought I was planning to replace the entire top assembly? My plan is to replace the ceramic / glass only, not the entire top, and I assume the replacement part I found online is the ceramic / glass only, not the entire top assembly:

http://www.repairclinic.com/0081.asp?RccPartID=1036899

To return to my initial question: When I removed the broken shards of the old top, this revealed that a silver, rubber-like adhesive was used to fix the ceramic to the black frame underneath (it looks like silicone to me, but I am not certain). I would like to know what this silver adhesive is, or perhaps just what a suitable adhesive would be in this application.

Finally, thank you also for thinking to warn me about disconnecting power. I disconnected power to the unit immediately after I broke the ceramic.

Comment

Normally the glass will come bonded to the frame, much as in the same way that a car windscreen is bonded and the surround is not replaceable on its own.

I'd be very surprised if the top came with no fixing brackets, in the case of a frameless hob, or a surround pre-bonded to the glass.

Since this isn't a serviceable item the bonding cement or glue is not available, the closest thing being possibly Ambersil glue (from this link) but whether or not that is suitable for the purpose I cannot guarantee.

K.
        "Sometimes you get the best light from a burning bridge" Don Henley

Cheap appliance spare parts in our store ? Find an appliance repair company here

Comment

Poster is in the US, so things may be done slightly differently there. No piccie on the link unfortunately.

The high temperature silicone mentioned by kwatt is probably the best solution. Bear in mind that surfaces must be spotless, and weighted together for at least 24 hours to achieve a bond.

Regards,
          Penguin45.
          Which bit of "Unplug it" is causing the problem?

Comment

Thanks (Re: Proper adhesive for replacing EuroKera)

Many thanks to all of you for your replies. I ordered the part - if it arrives without the framing attached, I will try the Ambersil adhesive.

Comment

Cheap Spare Parts

Collapse

Affresh

Collapse
            Working...
            X