UK Whitegoods Domestic Appliance Help & Support Forums

Washing Machine Help Forum

Zanussi FJD1466, E40 error

This forum is for support, help and questions you have about washing machines and washer dryers. For washing machine spares click here

Get spare parts for washing machines

Buy washing machine spare parts in our store for all major washing machine makes and models including many low cost compatible spares or contact us and we will find the parts you need for you

Support The Repair Community

How you can help in supporting out community is simple, just just use repairers from our online repair search if you need an appliance repaired

Buy any parts you need in our store that helps fund and maintain this website and the free use of it.

Don't use an adblocker.

That's all you need to do and we all appreciate your support and assistance.

by paragp » Sat Apr 07, 2007 8:59 pm

Hi, my Zanussi fjd1466 has the error e40 coming up on the screen. This error i believe is to indicate the door is not shut. The door is shut properly however when thre program tries to start, the machine seems to think it is not shut. The first time this happened, the mains fuse tripped. I am guessing there is some sort of electrical fault in the machine related to the door lock system.

I want to try and open the top of the machine to see if I can see anything obvious however, I can only see 2 screws at the back which are holding the top in place. I have taken these screws off but I still cannot take the top cover off. Are there any other screws/tabs i need to look for?

any help much appreciated ..
paragp
Whitegoods Newbie
Whitegoods Newbie

Does your washing machine stink?

If your washing machine stinks, smells bad or emits strange odours it is most likely to be caused by bacteria build up in the washer. To clean this we recommend using Affresh that you can buy here to clean out the bacteria. And for more detailed advice on washing machine odour you can read our article all about smelly washing machines here

Buy Affresh washing machine cleaner here to stop bad smells from your washing machine

by Penguin45 » Sat Apr 07, 2007 10:57 pm

Door lock has blown. You have a fifty/fifty chance that it's taken the computer board with it, so replacement may not be enough. If you want to give it a go, you need one of these:
http://www.ukwhitegoods.co.uk/modules.p ... cts_id=618

The lid usually needs a bit of a shake and a wiggle to pull free - give it a bit of English.

Power off, before touching anything.

Regards,
Penguin45.
Which bit of "Unplug it" is causing the problem?
Appliance Master
Appliance Master

by paragp » Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:48 pm

hi penguin45, is there any way of verifying of the door lock is blown?
also the lid seems to be held down by screws that I cannot see, if do a bit of shake and wiggle i guess i am likely to snap the bits that are held by "hidden screws", any pointers on how I take the top of with doing any more damage?
paragp
Whitegoods Newbie
Whitegoods Newbie

by paragp » Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:44 am

ok, i have managed to remove the top cover, this was just by sliding it backwards after removing the screws at the back.

Also took apart the door lock mechanism and saw that inside the door lock something had blown, there were black marks inside and also there was a couple of pieces of melted metal/solder embeded in the body of the door lock plastic body.
Question is with the damage in the door lock mechanism, is there any way of verifying if there is damage to the the computer board or not? Is there anyway of by passing the door lock mechanism to see if it the rest of the machine is ok, if so and i can test this then I can order the new part if all else is well with the machine.

thanks
paragp
Whitegoods Newbie
Whitegoods Newbie

by suedehead1 » Wed Apr 11, 2007 6:42 pm

there is no way of bypassing the door interlock unless you definately want to blow the board.
its much easier taking the clamp band off the door seal attaching it to the cabinet then removing the lip of the seal to allow you to get at the door interlock.
the only way to test it is to get a new interlock it is a bit of a gamble that it will fix it , but if you call out an engineer he would probably have one with him to try saving you the cost of buying a part you dont need but then you would have to pay the engineer.
in my opinion i would change the interlock and cross my fingers.
suedehead1
Appliance Veteran
Appliance Veteran

Washing machine drum not turning?

If your washing drum does not turn then it is possible that the drive belt in your machine has snapped or broken. Find a new drive belt in our store including many low cost compatible drive belts for all major brands. Do also check for carbon brush wear if the belt is not broken when you get no drum rotation.

Buy washing machine drive belts and other washing machine spare parts

Return to Washing Machine Help Forum

http://www.ukwhitegoods.co.uk/